05/ربيع الثاني/1428 11:40 م
I have read all the posts I could find on the subject of upgrading my primary hard drive and I am not sure that I have a definitive understanding of the process but I have enough information to attempt this task. What I do understand is that all my backups and account settings will be lost but my user data, music, videos, photos etc will be retained. Here is my situation;
- My current primary drive is a 250 GB drive on my first IDE channel, so IDE1, primary or master.
- The hard drive that I want to make my primary is on SATA port 1 and currently not part of the WHS storage pool
These are the steps I will take to accomplish the upgrade;
- Backup WHS data to an external source
- power off WHS system and add new hard drive and disconnect old primary drive
- change BIOS so that the SATA drive is what the system boots from
- boot from WHS CTP installation DVD
- select "server reinstallation" when prompted
- Let the rebuild process proceed, probably 2-3 hours.
Appreciate comments or advice from anybody who can confirm, clarify or correct what I ahve outlined here.
06/ربيع الثاني/1428 01:17 صالمشرفI suspect you won't get the option to reinstall; according to a post elsewhere in the forums by a Microsoft employee that decision requires some sort of operating system installed on the boot drive. (It may require WHS; that's not entirely clear.)
Let us know how it turns out?
06/ربيع الثاني/1428 02:02 ص
I have run into a roadblock when I get to the point in step 5 after I have entered the product code. I get to the screen that says "ready to install Windows Home Server.... the process can take several hours...."
I have no reason to believe that this will accomplish an install on my desired drive as the screen that shows which drives have been detected in the installation routine show the SATA drive that I want to install WHS on as drive 5 out of 7. It seems as though there is no provision in the WHS installation process to specify the OS drive other than the drive that is the master on the IDE1 controller.
I am going to see if anybody can shed any light on this situation before I can go any further.