none
The Device Is Not Connected for All/Most Files

Dotaz

• Accessing WHS share today, tried to open a notepad file containing some licenses and I received an error.  I then tried from the WHS itself and got the same error:

I tried other files and I get the same error.  Everything I've seen online are the results of hard drive failures & replacements, but

• none of my drives failed
    • none of the drives were replaced
    • no new drives added
    • the server didn't tank in any way
    • no restores or repairs were performed

What options do I have

14. ledna 2012 20:23

Odpovědi

• C:\fs contains pointers to the other drives.

If this folder does not exist (it is WHS v1, right?) and the server has more than one disk, this points to a serious file system problem on the servers C: drive.

To recover your files before trying to perform a server reinstall you could attach the single data disks to another machine and pull important files out as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Označen jako odpověď JuliusPIV 13. března 2012 0:18
    24. ledna 2012 21:41
    Moderátor
  • This is probably the most important question: If WHS is intended to be a backup solution, how do we go about protecting the backup?
    I noticed that nobody addressed this question, and it's a good one. You protect the backup server by backing up your files to external media with the built-in tools, and rotating the external media off-site on a regular schedule. This protects files in the shares on a V1 server; there is no supported way to protect the backup database built in. For that, you can use something like the BDBB add-in, or you can manually back up the database yourself, and take it off-site as well. I'll note that restoring that backed up copy of the database isn't completely trivial, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Označen jako odpověď JuliusPIV 13. března 2012 0:17
    12. března 2012 13:51
    Moderátor

Všechny reakce

• How did you attempt to access the file.  Through Shared Folders?  Through Remote Access?  Through Remote Desktop?

When you were on "WHS itself," how did you get there?  How did you try to access the file when you were on "WHS itself?"

Please give the steps you took.

Try to access the file through the Shared Folders Icon on your desktop. Does that work or do you get the same error?

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Accessing WHS share today, tried to open a notepad file containing some licenses and I received an error. I then tried from the WHS itself and got the same error:

<http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/54580/>

I tried other files and I get the same error. Everything I've seen online are the results of hard drive failures & replacements, but

* none of my drives failed
    * none of the drives were replaced
    * no new drives added
    * the server didn't tank in any way
    * no restores or repairs were performed

What options do I have

BullDawg
    15. ledna 2012 0:56
  • Good morning & thanks for the reply BullDawg

I attempted to access the files via

1. the UNC path to the share (e.g.: \\my_whs_server\software) and providing credentials when prompted (see below to understand why)
    2. RDP'ing to the server (e.g.: mstsc /v:my_whs_server) and logging on as the Administrator

I can't access the files via the shared folders icon on my desktop because the icon doesn't exist.  This is a new installation of Windows where I haven't installed the connector yet.  When I http://my_whs_server:55000 it loads the 'Windows Home Server Connector Setup' page fine, but clicking on the connector 'Download Now' button returns a 'The page cannot be found' error when trying to access http://my_whs_server:55000/setup/WHSConnectorInstall.exe.  That's another issue I'll deal with/address at a later time in another thread.

Thanks!

15. ledna 2012 15:29
  • ... but clicking on the connector 'Download Now' button returns a 'The page cannot be found' error when trying to access http://my_whs_server:55000/setup/WHSConnectorInstall.exe. ...

Please see this FAQ. Regarding your original issue, I would run chkdsk on all the drives in your server (there's a FAQ for that too).
    15. ledna 2012 21:53
    Moderátor
  • Hi Ken & thanks for dropping by.

I've checked out both of your FAQ's and am running through the chkdsk tasks now.  When that finishes I'll move on to the other issue.
    As soon as its done, I'll update this post.

Thanks again

16. ledna 2012 17:13
  • Sorry for the delay - I was out on travel until the 20th.

Ok I went through the chkdsk process outlined on your FAQ but the situation hasn't improved.  Something that may be of interest is that I don't have an "fs" directory in c:\ or d:\.  Maybe that's causing an issue?

For what its worth, I did go through the other process to fix the connector issue and that works fine now.  Thank you very much!

22. ledna 2012 22:01
  • Somewhat of a disappointment is that although there are icons for 'files', the actual files don't appear to truly be there.  I was nearing storage capacity (nearly 1TB) on the server and while checking diskmgmt I noticed it claims there's 92% free space on the disk.  This isn't right at all.

• How can *.* get deleted/wiped or suddenly/seemingly go missing 'overnight' so to speak?
    • What would cause diskmgmt to think there's no physical data on the drive but leave 'stubs' that Explorer interprets as files?
    • If I can't recover this data, is there anything else I can do to figure out what happened so I can avoid this in the future?

This is probably the most important question: If WHS is intended to be a backup solution, how do we go about protecting the backup?

I get that if I had everything on one hard drive and that drive tanked, I would get the 'we told you so' for not backing up that data.  Thankfully WHS is here to not only backup my systems in the event of a situation where a restore is necessary, but also misc files as well.  (Music, Photos, Software etc)  So here's a situation where the backup (which is WHS) has tanked and I've seemingly lost everything.
    Again I query: What's the backup of the backup (which is WHS)?

24. ledna 2012 14:54
  • If you login to the server desktop, navigate to C:\fs\XY\DE\shares\yourfolder (try each mount point, which is listed here as XY as placeholder) - are the files visible there in one of the locations (without folder replication) or in two (for shares with folder replication)? (Be aware, that DE is a hidden folder, so you have to enable the view of hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View)

If so, the tombstones in d:\shares may have an issue, pointing to a wrong target or to a missing disk.

If not, the tombstones may also have an issue, because the target went away. Is there any virus scanner active? Did it detect malware recently (in this case it could have deleted the malware infected files, but leave the tombstones alive)?

Olaf

24. ledna 2012 15:32
    Moderátor
  • Thank you for the reply.

I do have WHSClamAV loaded, but I've not been alerted to nor am I recovering from a virus or malware outbreak.  (i.e.: no harmful or questionable files found)

Unfortunately, as mentioned in an earlier post, there isn't an 'fs' directory in the C or D drives.  (Hidden files are shown and no results when doing `dir c:\ /a:d` either)  As stated, this may be the source of the issue.  If so, what next?

I loaded up Recuva on the server and scanned C. It found loads of files (naturally) but what was of great interest were files in a directory identified only as 'C:\?\'. I assume that's the missing 'fs' directory since the files found 'within' matched 'files' I expected to see.

I tried R-Studio as well but it doesn't make it easy to recover data since it appears to be stored in numbered 'reorganizeddata blocks'. (That's what I call it - not sure what the official terminology is.) There's a healthy number of these 'blocks' so it'll take some time to go through to see if I can find the 'fs' directory.

I can probably recover much of the data successfully, but I've got a feeling it'll just drop it all in a single location without preserving the folder structure. This is especially the case with Recuva. That won't be very useful in this situation, considering I have multiple versions/variants of files with the same name (e.g.: playlist.m3u, readme.txt, config.xml, config.ini etc). Icing on the cake: With several hundred gigs of data, I'm not interested in recategorizing/reorganizing everything.

More importantly: Is it worth restoring this data? Aren't the directories within C:\fs just mount points and not actually housing any data?

So the big question still stands: If WHS is intended to be a backup solution, how do we go about protecting the backup? I'm not some giant corporate entity with a massive SAN that can have data replicated across 3 shelves. And buying another WHS to backup the first WHS is out of the question and downright absurd, as is the idea of buying another $300+ device. 

Again, thanks to all who have contributed.

24. ledna 2012 19:20
  • C:\fs contains pointers to the other drives.

If this folder does not exist (it is WHS v1, right?) and the server has more than one disk, this points to a serious file system problem on the servers C: drive.

To recover your files before trying to perform a server reinstall you could attach the single data disks to another machine and pull important files out as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Olaf

• Označen jako odpověď JuliusPIV 13. března 2012 0:18
    24. ledna 2012 21:41
    Moderátor
  • Sincere apologies for the delay.  I've been away on travel for a couple of weeks and prepping for the trip before hand.

I setup a vanilla Win 7 machine & mounted the drive.  Its 1 hard drive with 2 partitions so both partitions (the C & D drive of the WHS) were available automagically.  I've got some good & bad news:

• For starters I hit up the hidden DE folder on the DATA drive & found some data that I was able to copy elsewhere.  This is good!
    • The bad is that it wasn't all the data.  When I drop into the Shares folder on the DATA drive there was a significant amount of data that wasn't in the DE folder.  And unfortunately much of that was what I was hoping to get.

Its been a while since I brought this up and the initial shock of lost data has subsided.  I had a backup of the more precious data, albeit dated, but still a backup nonetheless.

12. března 2012 3:05
  • So how many disks your server had?

Usually the files are distributed to other disks as well (and will be found on those in the DE folder). So check the other disks of your server as well (this could also be a USB disk, which you had attached during installation or later added to the storage pool).

If you had a single disk only system, the data seems to be lost.

Olaf

12. března 2012 13:34
    Moderátor
  • This is probably the most important question: If WHS is intended to be a backup solution, how do we go about protecting the backup?
    I noticed that nobody addressed this question, and it's a good one. You protect the backup server by backing up your files to external media with the built-in tools, and rotating the external media off-site on a regular schedule. This protects files in the shares on a V1 server; there is no supported way to protect the backup database built in. For that, you can use something like the BDBB add-in, or you can manually back up the database yourself, and take it off-site as well. I'll note that restoring that backed up copy of the database isn't completely trivial, however.

• Označen jako odpověď JuliusPIV 13. března 2012 0:17
    12. března 2012 13:51
    Moderátor
  • Hi Olaf - I only had 1 disk.  It was my test run before dumping a few TB's worth in there.  At this point, I've just accepted the loss.  Bummer - Not sure how I feel about WHS now but we'll see.

Does WHS 2011 improve on data integrity any?

13. března 2012 0:13
  • Ken - Thanks for answering that question!  Its a real shame this isn't simpler, and that one would have to not only spend a few hundred bucks on a little server like this but then a few more hundred bucks on external media for just in case, just in case purposes!  (You backup data on machine a to WHS just in case, then you backup the data on WHS just in case!)  From an IT perspective, it makes sense, but I'm not about to create 8 LUNS on my NAS, and that's more than the average Joe would likely want to get into.

So, I'm not exactly sure what the alternative is other than something like a TimeMachine, or some software solution but we'll see.  Maybe I'll just stand up a Windows 7 or 2003 server, and expose a LUN or two to my already RAID'd NAS.

As above: Does WHS 2011 improve on backing up & restoring data, including the DB if it still functions that way?

13. března 2012 0:17
  • Eventually - those files which are not in the DE folder, but exclusively in the D:\Shares subfolders, could be the correct files in a single disk scenario.

Would at least be worth to check this.

Olaf

13. března 2012 10:18
    Moderátor
  • Thanks for following the thread Olaf (& Ken too)!

I tried accessing various files in D:\Shares from WHS, from a Windows 7 machine and from WHS post WHS reinstall but I couldn't get anything.  The good news is that I was able to recover some data, but not nearly as much as before.  I just deleted everything in the shares folder & will try uploading the less important files first to make sure all is well.

I appreciate the updates & I've learned a lot so many thanks for your assistance.

Cheers all!

14. března 2012 11:31