Issue last year with Office 2007 which I have had no response

Spørgsmål

• Over 12 months ago whilst I was trying to download an add on for Outlook 2007 I had problems which I sent off to MS. They checked out my PC and discovered that my copy of XP was fine but that my copy of Office 2007 was showing up as an invalid mass something or other. This had been purchased as part of a new PC package and I gave the person who was handling this all relevant detaila about where and when it had been purchased as an Educational deal.  Several weeks later I enquired again and was told that someone from Microsoft UK would be in touch but it could take 3 months.

Since then I have been back overseas teaching for another 8 months returning in August this year.  I have now bought a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium and again installed my copy of Office 2007 and downloaded all the updates without problem.  I have not heard anything at all from Microsoft so I am assuming rightly or wrongly that my Office 2007 is actually OK after all.  I am off overseas again on 30th December for another 8 months or so teaching and my PC will mostly be lying idle as my wife has since purchased her own laptop and copy of Office.

I'm curious to find out what Microsoft has done about the original issue if indeed there actually was an issue.  My e-mail address remains the same should anyone wish to look back a bit.

Thank you

Gordon
    17. december 2009 12:57

Svar

• I've already been there and gone through this over 12 months ago.  What I am asking about is what has Microsoft done during the past 12 months after promising me they would sort it out within 3 months. 

Sort what out?  

If you do not wish to post a Disgnostic Report please create a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 or go to http://support.microsoft.com for additional support option. As there would be very little I could do for you without the report.   

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    17. december 2009 23:31

Alle besvarelser

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    17. december 2009 15:14
  • Hi Carey

I've already been there and gone through this over 12 months ago.  What I am asking about is what has Microsoft done during the past 12 months after promising me they would sort it out within 3 months.  As I'm off again to the far east in a few days I don't wish to do anything at the present time which I  might not be able to sort out before I go or which might create problems if my wife chooses to use my PC when I am gone.  I looked for my previous posting but cannot find it on the site and I cannot remember who was dealing with it.

Gordon
    17. december 2009 15:21

• I've already been there and gone through this over 12 months ago.  What I am asking about is what has Microsoft done during the past 12 months after promising me they would sort it out within 3 months. 

Sort what out?  

If you do not wish to post a Disgnostic Report please create a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 or go to http://support.microsoft.com for additional support option. As there would be very little I could do for you without the report.   

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    17. december 2009 23:31
  • No reply from original poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Closing thread as Answered

Darin MS
    21. december 2009 22:54
  • Hi

I have now just returned from another 10 months inThailand and I am surprised that you just closed my posting as I did inform you that I was going away again for some time.

I am again getting questions about the validity of my Office Software and I am also getting annoyed that nothing has been done about this for several years.

I submitted all the diagnostic reports over two years ago via a Microsoft Forum with details of where I bought my PC and operating software which was genuine and also the teacher Office Package which unfortunately turned out to be non genuine despite it being preloaded for me.  The last I heard from your goodselves was that Microsoft UK would send me a genuine copy within 3 months but this never appeared.  I had no further problems with the Office updating and assumed that you had sorted it out. I went away again but when I returned last year for a couple of months the issue started again.

Before I left in December 2009 I purchased a copy of Windows 7 and did a fresh re-install of all my programs including the Office 2007 disk which I can now see is not genuine, but nevertheless is a good copy, but I had not really looked at all the disks I was given with my PC as everything was preinstalled for me in Thailand.

On my recent return to Thailand I went to the shop where I purchased my computer which is within a massive multi storey computer shopping centre but the shop is no longer trading or had changed so much I couldn't recognise it after this long period where it was one among hundreds of similar shops.

I have no intention of purchasing another copy of Office 2007 as I seldom use it in the UK and if it bugs me too much I will just revert to my previous 2003 version which to be honest is just as good for my needs.  After this shambles Microsoft can kiss goodbye to any ideas it had of getting me to upgrade to version 2010.

I'm sure it is not outside your skills to find all the original correspondence and to see your replies which culminated in a promise to send me a proper copy.  At the present time I am far too bust catching up on paperwork which has gathered over the past 10 months tobother with this problem again especially when you appear to do nothing about it.

Gordon Braid

4. november 2010 15:09
  • Hello Gordon Braid,

Microsoft does have a program for UK customers that evaluates suspect software and provides free replacement for software found to be high quality counterfeits.  Here is a link to a page describing the program for UK customers:  http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/homeuser/product-identification-service.mspx

Could you be so kind as to take a few moments to follow the instructions below?  Thanks!

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

4. november 2010 16:19
  • What concerns me about all of this is that I did all of this almost 2 years ago and it was all done through this site.  I did the test which failed and then Microsoft asked me for all the details of where I had purchased my whole computer system etc etc.  I sent them everything I had and gave them all the information they asked for despite me still finding  it very strange that everything else I purchased was genuine. Only the teacher package for Office 2007 turned out to be pirate.  Microsoft know well that I spend at least 8 months of every year overseas and yet Darin MS just closes my posting down. He clearly has made no attempt to look at all the previous correspondence on my case. 

Why should I have to do all these tests again when I have already done them.  What has Microsoft done since my first enquiry which is now over 2 years ago.  Seems like nothing has been done so what confidence do I have in them if I start the whole process over again.  The speed at which they are moving would probably mean that Office 2014 will be out before they get round to answering my original enquiry if ever at all.  I'll tell you something, I will think very carefully before I ever purchase another Microsoft product again as their support is abyssmal to say the least.  They seem to automatically start from the position that everyone who has a pirate copy knows this in advance when the average computer user like me accepts what dealers tell us when we buy systems and pre-installation of products lends itself to this abuse.  I was given a huge pile of disks with my new system and even if I had checked each disk carefully I would not have known which disks were genuine and which were not as every company has different ways of labelling their software.  MY Office CD looked as genuine as any of the other CD's I was given and I had it nearly 1 year and downloaded all updates before Microsoft decided it was fake.  Out of 15 CD's I was given with my system the only one claimed to be a fake was the teachers Office package.

I was totally honest with Microsoft and I have since been treated like a leper.

24. november 2010 15:11
  • I forgot to add above that Microsoft then advised me over 2 years ago that the UK Office would sort me out and send me a genuine Office CD.  I chased this up with them some weeks later on this site but was advised that it would possibly take 3 months to sort out.  I then went overseas again and never heard another word fromMicrosoft.  So all of this should be on this site somewhere if Iwere only computer savee enough to find it. 
    24. november 2010 15:23
  • Hello gordonbraid,

Here in the USA, people are reporting that the complimentary replacement process takes less than three weeks to complete.  I don't recall a recent post from someone in the UK telling us how long it takes, but I don't see why it would be much longer than that.

There is one catch, however....the person who wants a complimentary replacement must actually complete the proper report and send the suspected counterfeit product to Microsoft at the proper address.

Have you done so?

24. november 2010 23:39
  • Hi

I sent the necessary report more than 2 years ago and had many conversations on this site.  I do not recall at the time that it was necessary to send the suspected (or confirmed pirate) product to Microsoft as I'm sure Microsoft did not ask me for that at the time. In fact I was told to wait for Microsoft UK to contact me which of course they never did.

As nothing had happened after such a long time I assumed(wrongly) that Microsoft had made an error and that my product was indeed OK.  It was only at this time last year that Microsoft started sending me messages when I oppened Word that I realised that everything was not OK so I contacted themagain to no avail.

You people in North America are really blessed with the help Microsoft gives as here in the UK lousy would be too good a words to describe it.  Again I'm sorry for the delay in replying to you but as I ticked the box which is supposed to alert me when someone responds I actually expected that to happen which unfortunately it didn't.

2. december 2010 13:48
  • Hello gordonbraid,

Hopefully we can take advantage of the fact that you are back in the UK at the moment.

First, please follow these instructions to generate and post an mgadiag report so we can see what's going on:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

After doing that, go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Office button.  Presumably your Office installation will fail validation.  If so, the next web page you see will be an explanation for why it failed.  Look on the right-hand side (if I remember correctly) of this page for a link to the Complimentary Replacement program (it may be worded differently on the UK page, maybe something like "request a replacement").  Following this link will take you to web pages that gather information from you to compile a report.  You'll print out the report, and then will be shown a regional mailing address to which you are to send your suspected counterfeit materials.  If the materials are deemed to be "high quality counterfeits" then Microsoft will send you a free replacement.  As I mentioned earlier, here in the USA people have told us it takes less than 3 weeks from sending off the materials to receipt of replacement.  No reason for it to be slower in the UK.

I think what derailed your previous communication was what sounds like you were advised to submit a "piracy report" maybe at www.microsoft.com/piracy or www.microsoft.com/howtotell.  The piracy report gathers information for Microsoft but does not "enroll" you in the Complimentary Replacement program.  The only way to access the web pages that enroll you in the Complimentary Replacement Program is that your Office installation has to first fail the Validation Test at www.microsoft.com/genuine and then you have to actively select the link to the program as mentioned above.

Assuming your materials are indeed counterfeits, hopefully this time we can get you enrolled and get you a replacement :-)  Please take the recommended steps with all deliberate speed and keep us advised of your progress.

2. december 2010 16:04
  • Dan if I may call you that as you look like some kind of general with all your medals, when I have only one.

I feel as if I am banging my head against a brick wall here.  What part of I have already done all what you suggest does Microsoft not understand.  I have already done everything you say above and the pages long report which was generated was forwarded to Microsoft years ago which resulted in Microsoft eventually telling me that the matter was being referred to Microsoft UK for a replacement disc or whatever it is they send out.  I know exactly why Microsoft says my version of Office failed as apparently it was using a registration number from some large company. It took them over 1 year to tell me this by which time I was back in the UK struggling to remember the exact details of the Thai Company I bought my PC, Printer/Scanner and software from and which I had subsequently sold (Hardware that is) My XP passed the test and my Office failed and the only thing that has really changed since then is that I now use Windows 7 Home Premium instead of XP on a PC I upgraded. What suprises me is that every other piece of software I got with my PC was genuine, including Nero, Norton, ULead, My Microsoft Webcam and the other usual suspects you get with a new PC.  All of it had been preinstalled so I just took the large pile of discs I received and stuck them on a shelf until I returned home when I brought the Office disk with me.  I also sent Microsoft the details of the shop and the building where I purchased everything, at least all the details I could remember and in as much English as I could as most of the smaller shops have Thai names in Thai script.

So as you can see I have already jumped through all the hoops Microsoft have laid out to no avail and I am not of a mind to do it all again when it has already taken them nearly 3 years to do NOTHING.  Clearly something happened or more likely did not happen in Microsoft's communications with their UK operation and I don't see why I should have to go through all this again when it should not be beyond the realms of Microsoft's competance to go back and look at all the previous correspondence between us which was generated through this site.  I have been a loyal Microsoft customer for nearly 20 years and I have always used proper bought and registered software. Indeed it was myself who first contacted Microsoft about my copy of Office as I had been using it for over a year and kept it up to date on the Microsoft site without any problems at all. I am also now computer savee enough to bypass all these reminders Microsoft send down the wire but I don't see why I should have to do that when I have been upfront with them all along. It is not my fault that Microsoft allows PC suppliers to preinstall its software without proper dilligence and I actually consider myself lucky to have got a disc at all, albeit a pirate copy. My wife also uses proper licensed software and indeed has a another registered copy of Office 2007 which she uses on her laptop and her disk is a nice shiny silver one with a logo which of course was not the type of disks first issued by Micrsoft for this software years ago.  I insisted she got the disk when she purchased the software with her laptop as the shop didn't really want to give her it.

It will soon be time for me to consider returning overseas again and it seems that Microsoft have again failed to do anything about this while I am at home.  No doubt another of the Associates on this site will once again close down the enquiry like has happened twice before and my PC will lie unused and out of date until I once again return to the UK late next year and start this all over again.

I can tell you one company which won't be getting any more of my hard earned cash after the way it treats loyal customer like me.  Forget 2010 and all its future children as the present free Office Applications are actually all that I need now.  I am now officially retired as I was 65 on 22nd November (I still remember my 18th birthday for reasons you as an American will no doubt recall) and I am collecting my OAP.  I only work overseas voluntarily to pass on some of my skills to the less fortunate and I think I can now do that reasonably effectively without using Microsoft Office. If Microsoft keep bugging me I will just take 2007 off and reinstall my old licenced version of 2003 or one of the free ones.

Gordon

4. december 2010 04:41
  • Hello gordonbraid,

You have been asked to run the mgadiag report and post the results here many times.  You have not done so.

You have been advised to visit www.microsoft.com/genuine where you should attempt to validate Office.  Failing validation is the first step of the process by which Microsoft will replace your nongenuine software for free if it is deemed to be a high-quality counterfeit.  You have not done so.

Others have followed the prescribed procedures and have received free replacement software.  You have not followed the prescribed procedure, yet you complain that you are not receiving proper service from Microsoft.  It is irrelevant that you have expended effort when such effort was expended in the wrong direction taking the wrong steps.

There is an American expression that goes, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

4. december 2010 05:24
  • Hello

Again you are totally disregarding the fact that I have already visited the Microsoft site to run the validation process which my software failed.  I have already forwarded this report to Microsoft who then wrote to me asking for details of where I had purchased the software and how it was done.  This information was passed to Microsoft who then advised me that the UK Office would be in touch shortly to offer me a replacement package. I chased this up a few weeks later and was told it could tak ea couple of months.  I never heard from Microsoft again. 

So how can you write that I have not done so when I clearly have done so?  I followed your prescribed procedures and ended up with silence.  Also I am not a horse and I object very strongly to being described as one. We have a phrase in this country which says that "the customer is always right" but clearly that sort of thinking isn't part of the Microsoft psychie.

Now Dan I have followed everything that Microsoft asked me to do to no avail and yet you are now trying to turn the blame on me.

I have already done everything so why don't you stop blaming me for Microsoft's errors and go back and look at what has already happened instead of asking me to do everything again.  If Microsoft wish to tell me that they have lost all the previous correspondence then tell me that but stop acting as if I have done nothing over the past 3 years.  If you cannot do that then perhaps it is time that you passed me to someone who can.

Gordon Braid

4. december 2010 23:21
  • Well clearly no one is prepared to look into this for me so I have registered an official complaint with the Microsoft HQ in Redmond and copied it to the UK HQ for information.  Nearly 3 years is not reasonable to resolve a problem.
    14. december 2010 20:54
  • On December 14th 2010 I registered an official complaint in writing with Microsoft USA and copied it to Microsoft UK for information.  In view of the Xmas post situation I really didn't expect a quick answer.  However a week ago I received a telephone call from a very nice lady from Microsoft UK who informed me that Microsoft USA had asked them to deal with this urgently.  I received an apology for the length of time this situation had been allowed to run and for the manner in which I had been treated and promised to sort this out speedily.

Microsoft has been very true to its word and today I received new copies of Microsoft Office Professional by courier.  Thank you Microsoft

18. januar 2011 12:21
  • "gordonbraid" wrote in message news:8bf287f7-af41-481c-aa61-94ef086110da...

On December 14th 2010 I registered an official complaint in writing with Microsoft USA and copied it to Microsoft UK for information.  In view of the Xmas post situation I really didn't expect a quick answer.  However a week ago I received a telephone call from a very nice lady from Microsoft UK who informed me that Microsoft USA had asked them to deal with this urgently.  I received an apology for the length of time this situation had been allowed to run and for the manner in which I had been treated and promised to sort this out speedily.

Microsoft has been very true to its word and today I received new copies of Microsoft Office Professional by courier.  Thank you Microsoft

A Result! - it shows that persistence does pay off, at least.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    18. januar 2011 13:31