Errors after install of PP1. Everything OK?

Spørgsmål

• Following reboot after PP1 install I get the following errors:

From system log:

1. Preserver service failed during startup (Application popup)

From homeserver log

2. Unexpected error 0x0 from DEUtilInitializeSecurity: The operation completed successfully. (EventID 130)

3. Process whsarch failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_v1se\qhs\src\storage\de\deutil\deutil.cpp(248). (EventID 132)

4. Unexpected error 0x780 from CreateFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Commit.dat: The file can not be accessed by the system EventID 272)

5. Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_v1se\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(145) (EventID 267)

I'm not sure if everything is OK right now, would be nice if anyone from WHS team could comment on these errors

EDIT: I will file bug report on connect site later today

10. juni 2008 07:46
    Redaktør

Svar

• You can run 'sc query defilter' from the command line and if it succeeds and reports that the driver is running -- your installation should be ok. What you have seen seems to be a one-time fluke, which we need to investigate. Please file a bug through connect and make sure to give us the logs.

Thanks

11. juni 2008 02:41
    Besvarer

Alle besvarelser

• (EDIT, disregard what was written here before)

The log events above indicate that the filter driver (defilter.sys) is not loaded. Can you check if defilter.sys exists under c:\windows\system32\drivers and is of version 6.0.1771.0? Also, please list the registry keys and values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DEFilter (a screenshot would do).

Having the server in this state is definitely not OK -- as without the filter you won't be able to access the files on your shares.

Thanks

10. juni 2008 11:04
    Besvarer
  • BulatS, thanks for quick response

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\deutil.dll

6.0.1771.0 (whs_v1se.080604-0910), Date_Created=04-06-2008, Date_Modified 04-06-2008, 140320 bytes

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\defilter.sys

6.0.1771.0 (whs_v1se.080604-0910), Date_Created=07-09-2007, Date_Modified 04-06-2008, 58400 bytes

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\defilter.sys

6.0.1771.0 (whs_v1se.080604-0910), Date_Created=07-06-2007, Date_Modified 04-06-2008, 58400 bytes

Dates are dd-mm-yyyy Date_Accessed is obviously today for all three files.

Only Date_Created appears funny to me. Could this possibly be related to Windows Explorer 'Date Modified'

I will reboot and let you know if the errors re-appear. If not, how can I be sure these errors are not indicative for a failed install of PP1?

10. juni 2008 12:09
    Redaktør
  •  BulatS [MSFT] wrote:

(EDIT, disregard what was written here before)

The log events above indicate that the filter driver (defilter.sys) is not loaded. Can you check if defilter.sys exists under c:\windows\system32\drivers and is of version 6.0.1771.0? Also, please list the registry keys and values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DEFilter (a screenshot would do).

Having the server in this state is definitely not OK -- as without the filter you won't be able to access the files on your shares.

Thanks

I can access the share content no problem (remote and from and the desktop shortcut). Also file version appears to OK

Considering the fact that I can access my shares no problem I'm more worried about the commit.dat error; does the PP1 install need to rewrite commit.dat for some reason?

How do I get screenshot in my post?

10. juni 2008 12:33
    Redaktør
  • You can submit screenshots as an attachment to your bug in Connect.   You can not cut/paste screenshots into the forums.

10. juni 2008 12:38
  • did you submit a bug # through connect - what is the number?

10. juni 2008 17:52
  • You can run 'sc query defilter' from the command line and if it succeeds and reports that the driver is running -- your installation should be ok. What you have seen seems to be a one-time fluke, which we need to investigate. Please file a bug through connect and make sure to give us the logs.

Thanks

11. juni 2008 02:41
    Besvarer
  • brubber, did you report your bug (if so what's the number) as I've encountered identical issue.

atsnyr

11. juni 2008 03:41
  • Please file a separate bug if you are experiencing the issue.

11. juni 2008 03:43
    Redaktør
  • Sorry for the delay. Bug ID# is 350575

12. juni 2008 12:07
  •  atsnyr wrote:

brubber, did you report your bug (if so what's the number) as I've encountered identical issue.

atsnyr

I have not yet filed the bug. Problem is I can currently only access my WHS remotely, and I did a reinstall, deleted all backups and so on before applying pp1, so I don't have the toolkit to prepare the CAB. Hopefully I will find some time tonight report the bug.

The problem is persistent, I get the exact same errors on every reboot. Visible sign is application popup telling me Preserver service failed to start. Other than this one and the errors in eventlog everything appears to run fine. I have access to the shares, remote access and backup's are running (have not tried to mount them yet). I also get lots of DEUTIL logs (most empty), which tells me this one is running.

12. juni 2008 12:22
    Redaktør
  • Looks like we're both with same issue here. Other than log messages WHS seems to be running just fine. I've noticed some speed improvements which I like and will try to test server share backup over the weekend just to be on the save side.

I've reported the bug and sent CAB to Microsoft so we'll see what they'll say.

13. juni 2008 03:49
  •  BulatS [MSFT] wrote:

You can run 'sc query defilter' from the command line and if it succeeds and reports that the driver is running -- your installation should be ok. What you have seen seems to be a one-time fluke, which we need to investigate. Please file a bug through connect and make sure to give us the logs.

Thanks

driver is running
    13. juni 2008 05:10
    Redaktør
  • thank you!

13. juni 2008 14:48
  • I get the same error except that my driver is version 6.0.1800.0
    The query fails:

sc query defilter
    [SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service

NC
    3. september 2008 02:44
  • ollic,

Could you please file a bug report on Connect?

If you have never done one before, could you follow the details in Ken's Post; also, if you aren't a member, you will need to join the Connect site.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    3. september 2008 20:36
    Redaktør