none
"Cannot Copy _____: the Device Is Not Connected"

Spørgsmål

•  

I am trying to move some files off of my WHS box and am finding myself totally locked out.  No matter what I do, I get the message "Cannot Copy _____: the Device Is Not Connected".  This happens if I try to move/copy over the LAN and also if I connect a local hard drive and try to move the files.  The files themselves are primarily media (audio and video) and are otherwise ok and can be played off the server.  I recently installed Power Pack 1 and thought this might be the issue, but after uninstalling, I still get the same thing (only the error message is different, though I can't remember the nomenclature).  This affects ALL files on the sever, duplicated and not.  Anybody have any ideas?
    30. august 2008 15:20

Svar

•  Jim572098 wrote:
    Yes - exactly!  That was the message.

The tombstone idea makes sense, as I did have a hard drive recently die on me and it may have taken some non-duplicated data, etc. with it.  If this is in fact the issue, how do I fix?

You could try using catsaver's tool, Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool.  It's obviously not supported, but other people have used it and it's helped them.

30. august 2008 21:21

Alle besvarelser

•  Jim572098 wrote:
    I am trying to move some files off of my WHS box and am finding myself totally locked out.  No matter what I do, I get the message "Cannot Copy _____: the Device Is Not Connected".  This happens if I try to move/copy over the LAN and also if I connect a local hard drive and try to move the files.  The files themselves are primarily media (audio and video) and are otherwise ok and can be played off the server.  I recently installed Power Pack 1 and thought this might be the issue, but after uninstalling, I still get the same thing (only the error message is different, though I can't remember the nomenclature).

Any chance the error message was "Cannot Copy _______: Invalid File Handle" without PP1 installed?

Jim572098 wrote:
    This affects ALL files on the sever, duplicated and not.  Anybody have any ideas?

It sounds like the tombstones are no longer pointing to the actual data files.  But then it shouldn't play the files either.  What if you try to copy a new file to the server, then move it back afterwards?

30. august 2008 16:11
  •  

Any chance the error message was "Cannot Copy _______: Invalid File Handle" without PP1 installed?

The tombstone idea makes sense, as I did have a hard drive recently die on me and it may have taken some non-duplicated data, etc. with it.  If this is in fact the issue, how do I fix? 

30. august 2008 17:46
  •  Jim572098 wrote:

You could try using catsaver's tool, Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool.  It's obviously not supported, but other people have used it and it's helped them.

30. august 2008 21:21
  • That worked - thank you very much.  I lost a lot of files, but they were gone anyway and at least now I know what I really have and can move/copy as needed.

2. september 2008 15:16