7. august 2007 10:39HI all,
I am just getting to grips with CRM 3.0 and I have come up against a potential problem that sounds like it should be very simple to solve, so I wanted to ask some opinions before I make a huge task out of someting potentially simple.
I need to create a SalesOrder (order confirmation) based on the details of an order, I need to be able to email or print these orders.
I need to be able to print or email an invoice based on an invoice object.
This sounds to me like it should be supported out of the box, but I cannot find such functionality.
So I was looking at email templates as a way of solving this issue, however when I map fields for an order in an email template I do not have access to the order items, so short of creating a custom order field that has been preset with a tidy HTML table of the order items (presumably at the time the order is created) I dont see a simple way to achieve this task.
I must be missing something?
I guess I could use a report?
I have a similare situation with the Invoice object, I need to be able to print, or email the data within an invoice in a complete (ie includes linked objects such as order items) way.
If anyone can see the errors of my ways please let me know, or if anyone has added similare functionality I would appreciate very much your thoughts.
9. august 2007 06:35I am going to go ahead and take the silence as an indication that there is in fact no easy way to send/print orders and invoices in Microsoft CRM, looks like a major oversight to me, I presume this nuggest of obvious functionality has been left out to sell more copies of GP.
However, not a problem, I will have to make a solution.
So perhaps an easier question.
Does anyone know if there is an undocumented way to access related objects in an email template? Such as with an order object I need to access the order items, so that I can correctly format a sales order (with detail).
Any clues greatfully received.
9. august 2007 08:06RedaktørEmail templates won't help, as you won't be able to get to the order items. We normally use Reporting Services reports for output documents as it gives us the greatest control over both the data and the formatting; the other alternative would be to use mail merge with Word
9. august 2007 17:14Thanks David,
Thats what I needed to hear, I have a direction now; I will check out Reporting Services as a solution.
14. august 2007 20:41
I was experiencing the same problems since we sell multiple items to one customer. When we send them a quote, it needs to have all of the products listed and information about each one. The way we got around it was by clicking on File -> Print Quote for Customer when you have the quote open. Select your template. There are field codes you can use in Word. The field code you need to use is called "Next Record". To find out more information on how to use it, just use the help in Word. As for your invoices, I'm still trying to figure that one out myself. Good luck.
22. august 2007 13:26
How do you select a template when you are getting ready to print a Quote. Also What field code do you use to get the product info into the template.
23. august 2007 06:52Hi cb4430,
I couldn't figure that either
I believe we may have been talking with crossed lines, it is possible the print templates referenced to are mail merge documents?
Anyhow if I was you I would take the route that I took, and as was advised by David, use a report, trust me I tried all sorts and this is the best/(only?) way if you want any degree of detail in the Order/Invoice and want it intergrated with the interface.
In the end I hosted a report in an iframe on the Order form.
The report will allow you to print directly from its viewer, in the exact format of the report (ie not a html print).
I have to run to work but if you need any pointers shout back.
All the best.
11. marts 2008 10:25I am an amateur in Customisation. I am able to generate the invoice only in the soft copy. I can print it via Right Clicking that but it is not at all cutomised. Should I export the fields in the xl file and then merge that with the customised Word File. Or Is there any other Allternative yuo could suggest(Such as Reporting Services, as you mentioned). Please explain the process. Would be highly appreciated.Thanks