Cant print from XP to Vista 64 bit with my Canon printer?

Frage

• Server - Windows XP 32 bit - Canon MP370 Printer attached
    Laptop - Vista 64 bit
    I am trying to install the network printer on my newly acquired Vista 64 bit laptop. When I add try to add the printer from the network it says " The server for the canon MP370 does not have the correct print driver installed".
    I have installed the 64 bit Canon print driver onto the Server and the Laptop...but it still wont work?
    Help!
    Dienstag, 28. Juli 2009 18:57

Antworten

• In order to share a printer between a 32 bit and 64 bit OS, you will need to install the drivers for your printer on the machine you wish to use to connect to the shared printer, The printer attached to your XP machine can only be shared "natively" with other 32 bit operating systems. When you add the printer on the Vista 64 bit laptop, you need to supply the driver for the printer that is 64 bit. Check with Canon for the availability of a driver since there is no driver for that printer on your Vista 64 bit machine natively.
    You can't share a printer using OneCare's printer sharing feature between a 32 bit and 64 bit system, so you must do this manually with Windows File and Printer Sharing.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Dienstag, 28. Juli 2009 19:12

Alle Antworten

• In order to share a printer between a 32 bit and 64 bit OS, you will need to install the drivers for your printer on the machine you wish to use to connect to the shared printer, The printer attached to your XP machine can only be shared "natively" with other 32 bit operating systems. When you add the printer on the Vista 64 bit laptop, you need to supply the driver for the printer that is 64 bit. Check with Canon for the availability of a driver since there is no driver for that printer on your Vista 64 bit machine natively.
    You can't share a printer using OneCare's printer sharing feature between a 32 bit and 64 bit system, so you must do this manually with Windows File and Printer Sharing.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Dienstag, 28. Juli 2009 19:12
  • Hi Steve,
    Thanks... I did add the 64 bit driver to both the laptop and the server..but the above error still comes up when I try to connect to the printer on the server through my network connections. I can see the printer from the Vista laptop, but it still says that the server doesnt have the correct printer driver installed.
    I downloaded the 64 bit Vista driver and ran it on the server, then reinstalled the Canon MP370 on the server...is that all i need to do? Will it automatically read the 64 bit print driver that i installed?
    Wow..what a pain...thanks for the help!
    Donnerstag, 30. Juli 2009 21:08
  • That may work, but I think that you need to go to Printers on the 64 bit laptop and remove the existing printer. Then add the printer *manually* and provide the driver from disc or point to the driver on the local drive.
    This really isn't a OneCare Printer Sharing issue, but could be a OneCare firewall issue - if doing the above does not help, try turning off the OneCare firewall to see if it works properly. If so, you'll need to go to the advanced firewall settings, ports and protocols, and place a check mark next to sharing for Internet and subnet.

-steve
    Freitag, 31. Juli 2009 13:41