ocprint user account

Frage

• I am using Windows Vista x64 and 32 bit versions on 2 different PCs in my circle.  The Hub PC is the x64 machine.  The USB printer is attached to the 32 bit machine. 

On the x64 machine, when I look under Parental Controls, I see an "OCPRINT" standard user account.  I believe OneCare created this account and I am assuming it was for printer sharing.  When I look under user accounts, I do not see the ocprint user account.

Do I need this account?  Can I delete it, change the password, etc.  I don't like having accounts put on my PC without knowledge of it's existance.

I also see a new network device / location.  It is OC..... and it contains printers.  This shows my USB printer.  I think this is OK but don't understand the need for the account.  Everything seems to print and work correctly.

Sonntag, 29. Juli 2007 22:19

Antworten

• The account is the way that OneCare handles Printer Sharing transparently. Of course, since you see the account, it isn't all that transparent - though it doesn't appear on the login screen. if you want to use the Printer Sharing feature of OneCare, don't delete the account.

-steve

Montag, 30. Juli 2007 02:10

Alle Antworten

• The account is the way that OneCare handles Printer Sharing transparently. Of course, since you see the account, it isn't all that transparent - though it doesn't appear on the login screen. if you want to use the Printer Sharing feature of OneCare, don't delete the account.

-steve

Montag, 30. Juli 2007 02:10
  • Can I change the password of the account?  How would I do this since I don't see the account when I select manage users?

Montag, 30. Juli 2007 12:36
  • The account should not be touched by you as it is handled by OneCare as a service.

-steve

Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 01:32
  • You have correctly guessed that this account is created on Vista machine to provide printer sharing functionality. Please do not change password of this account as that would cripple this account. We have locked down this account as much as we can so that it can not be misused and that is the reason you do not see it in "user accounts".

We have a bug open to even make it disappear from parental controls section.

Thanks

Neeraj

Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 05:28
  • I called One Care for the same issue. They told me to contact FBI. I think OneCare has Created the account for remote assistant.

Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2010 00:30
  • I called One Care for the same issue. They told me to contact FBI. I think OneCare has Created the account for remote assistant.

OneCare creates that entry for the Printer Sharing feature. It has nothing to do with Remote Assistance.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2010 17:41