Printer sharing between XP 32 bit hub PC and new 64 bit PC using VISTA in onecare circle

Frage

•  I can't share printers attached to 32-bit HP laptop (Hub PC in Onecare Circle) and a new 64 bit HP laptop with Vista.
    Onecare knowledge base said that it doesn't support printers between 32bit and 64bit machines.

Any recommendations?
    Montag, 23. Februar 2009 20:59

Antworten

• You will need to share the printer manually using Windows File and Printer Sharing.
    If the network is defined as Home or Work, file sharing on the local subnet is already allowed in the firewall. If your network is a mix of wired and wireless, you might need to enable it in the firewall advanced settings to allow for Internet and subnet (it won't be available over the Internet as your router will block it).
    On the PC with the attached printer, go to the printers icon in Controla Panel and select properties, sharing, and Share the printer.
    On the PC that will access the printer, go to Control Panel, printers, add printer, network printer and you should see the printer offered. Install the printer and provide drivers if needed.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Dienstag, 24. Februar 2009 13:14

Alle Antworten

• You will need to share the printer manually using Windows File and Printer Sharing.
    If the network is defined as Home or Work, file sharing on the local subnet is already allowed in the firewall. If your network is a mix of wired and wireless, you might need to enable it in the firewall advanced settings to allow for Internet and subnet (it won't be available over the Internet as your router will block it).
    On the PC with the attached printer, go to the printers icon in Controla Panel and select properties, sharing, and Share the printer.
    On the PC that will access the printer, go to Control Panel, printers, add printer, network printer and you should see the printer offered. Install the printer and provide drivers if needed.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Dienstag, 24. Februar 2009 13:14
  • not so fast moderator!!!  that is a great answer, but it does leave a lot to be finished off.  first of all, you end it with 'provide drivers if needed', how can you do this from an x86 computer to provide an x64 driver?  That's the problem I'm having and you're the 3rd answer from a "moderator" or 'expert' that has not been able to offer a solution that actually works. 
    Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2009 04:16
  • The driver is supplied by your printer manufacturer. You either have a disk or you need to visit the printer manufacturer web site and search for the driver in the downloads section - and it needs to be written for the version of the operating system you are using.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2009 11:58
  • Well, of course you need a driver, but you can’t install a driver on a pc running 32 bit windows for a client pc running 64 bit.  The option of additional drivers is there, but it doesn’t seem to let me install the 64bit driver, keeps looking for a file that is not able to be located on the disk whatsoever.  If I install the printer directly to the 64 bit computer, the printer works fine, but when networked, windows states that the server doesn’t have the correct driver installed.

Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2009 18:38
  • You install the 64 bit driver on the 64 bit PC. If the printer is attached to a 32 bit machine, installed and functioning, and you then share the printer out, you then add the printer on the 64 bit machine. When it tries to install the drivers, it can't. You then need to provide the drivers *at the 64 bit machine* to install the printer.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Donnerstag, 23. Juli 2009 11:38
  • This answer does not work. I have done all of this and more. I have spent time on the phone with Canon and they can not provide a way to do this. The 32 bit and 64 bit computers just won't work together to share a printer. If you put the driver on the 64 bit computer, it will print from it if connected via USB but will not print through the 32 bit computer that connects with the printer via USB.  I am wondering if a wireless printer would work or if there would be the same problem. Stephen, have you actually successful done what you suggest in your answer?
    Dienstag, 17. November 2009 15:38
  • Yes. Not with OneCare printer sharing, though - you can't.

Here are some links on how to configure a shared printer:
    XP - http://internet4classrooms.com/share_printer.htm
    Vista - http://www.home-network-help.com/vista-printer-sharing.html

You manually share the printer on the PC where the printer is attached and then you add the network printer on the PC you wish to print from. When you add the printer on the 64 bit machine, assuming that the printer is attached to the 32 bit PC, it should ask for drivers if they are not installed.
    In order for this to work, the firewall must be configured to allow file and printer sharing. Since you are referring to wireless, you may need to make some more changes to the OneCare firewall.

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Dienstag, 17. November 2009 17:22
  • I know this is old question, but im wondering if you ever managed to get this working?

Im having the same problem.!! everything works but.. it wont accept the 32bit driver when trying to install it from 64bit machine.

I've tried everything! wondering if there is a way to trick it into setting up with 32bit driver then connecting it to the network? can that be done?

Montag, 3. Mai 2010 23:56
  • I know this is old question, but im wondering if you ever managed to get this working?

Im having the same problem.!! everything works but.. it wont accept the 32bit driver when trying to install it from 64bit machine.

I've tried everything! wondering if there is a way to trick it into setting up with 32bit driver then connecting it to the network? can that be done?

You need a 64 bit driver on a 64 bit machine - and a 32 bit driver on a 32 bit machine. You'll need to contact the printer manufacturer. If the printer is physically attached to a 32 bit machine and you wish to share it with a 64 bit machine, the 64 bit machine needs 64 bit drivers. If the printer is attached to a 64 bit machine and installed and working, then the 32 bit machine needs the driver(s) in a 32 bit flavor. The driver would be on the install disk or available from the printer manufacturer *if* the support it on a 64 bit OS.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Dienstag, 4. Mai 2010 11:26
  • That all sounds great and simple but it does not work. 

Using an HP laserjet 1200, I attached the HP1200 to a 64 bit desktop running Vista Ultimate.  The Vista PC loaded the HP 1200 64 bit PCL5 driver.  When I attempt to add the printer to my 32 bit XP Pro Laptop, (network printers or printers attached to other PC's), the printer appears under the laptop and indicates that I must load a different print driver for this PC.  However when I attempt to point to the CORRECT driver for the XP 32bit (that I have used many times on this PC) in indicates that the proper driver is not available and refuses to load the driver.  I even have an identical printer setup in the office as a USB printer to this same PC and it still will not recognize the printer from the 64 bit device. 

PLAN B:  I went back to the 64 bit desktop and under shared printer options I choose the option to "Add additional drivers for other PC's".  The Vista software even gives an option to load the driver for an X86 PC and a Titianiam Device.  However, when you attempt to load that specific driver you are again told it is not the proper driver. 

It does not work.  I finally added an HP network adapter to the laserjet and set it up as a network printer independent of both PC's.  Now it works.

Sonntag, 13. Februar 2011 17:30