Multiple PCs in OneCare Circle with different licences/keys?

Frage

• My initial subscription to OneCare ends Nov/09, wheresas my wife's ends May/10.  I'm understanding we must use the same licence of OneCare in order to be in the same OneCare Circle, which will allow her to print to the USB printer on my PC.  Did we make a mistake in purchasing and installing a separate Onecare app on her PC?  Must I remove OneCare from my PC, and re-install it using her licence key, thereby allowing us to be in the same circle, thereby allowing her to print to my printer via a wireless network?    In reading other posts related to adding PCs into a "Circle", I may not be understanding the difference between the "Product ID and subscription ID" stored in OneCare, compared to the Product Key supplied with the S/W.  Is it that we must be in the same Product ID but can have different Subscription IDs? 
    Dienstag, 25. August 2009 16:37

Antworten

• A Circle is defined by the subscription LiveID. So, for the PCs to be part of the same Circle they both need to have been activated with the same LiveID. You can uninstall/reinstall OneCare on one of the two PCs and activate using the LiveID for the subscription that you wish to use for your Circle (your wife's subscription would be sensible since hers expires later, so uninstall/reinstall on your PC).

Product ID isn't important; it is the subscription ID which is the email address/LiveID that you set up the subscription with that is important.

However, you can leave things as they are and simply share the printer manually through Windows.
    On your PC, right click the printer and select properties/sharing and share the printer following the wizard.
    On her PC, select add printer, add network printer and it should see your shared printer on the network. You may need to provide the driver disc for the printer when it is installed to her PC.
    Note that in either case, your PC must be powered on for her to print to your printer.

You may need to adjust the firewall settings to allow file and printer sharing to work if you choose to do it manually and not reinstall OneCare in order for both PCs to be on the same subscription.

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Dienstag, 25. August 2009 17:42