none
Still wondering if AV is available for WHS 2011

Question

• Still wondering if AV is available for WHS 2011?

Everytime I do a search I get responses from a year ago. Microsoft really needs to improve the search function. Does anyone know if anything is/will be available. Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP

Monday, 27 February 2012 1:26 AM

All replies

• Still wondering if AV is available for WHS 2011?

Everytime I do a search I get responses from a year ago. Microsoft really needs to improve the search function. Does anyone know if anything is/will be available. Thanks

Search is giving you the most current information, which is that there is no AV specifically for Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, 27 February 2012 2:25 AM
  • try using avg internet security business edition 2012. Works and installs fine, regular scans just like on your pc. Its $125.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/internet-security-business

Tuesday, 28 February 2012 8:26 PM
  • Server OS don't need antivirus software to be installed. I have built and maintain (for a living) lots of servers and never once have found the need to install any AV software on a server OS. You are NOT supposed to use your server as a PC. It should sit headless in the corner, always! Therefore you don't run files on your server and so don't need AV. You are meant to always use the dashboard to maintain your server. Servers serve. They don't run applications. Your client PC runs the files and apps and that is where you focus your AV attention. Simply storing/saving a file containing a virus to the shared folders on your server is not going to give your server a virus. When you open the file on your PC the AV on your PC does the scanning. ALWAYS ensure all clients on your AN have AV and you are safe. It is for this very same reason that MS Security essentials does not have an email scanner. It is not needed. You don't actually open an attachment from inside yor email program. Your email program makes a temporary copy that gets opened and it is at that point your AV detects a virus and warns you so you delete the message that contains the virus. Of course you should NEVER open files directly over the Internet. Always save them and that includes all web sites including email sites such as Gmail and hotmail etc. Your AV can't scan what is sitting out there on the WAN and this is why you get that warning from your browser about run or save(you didn't go and turn it off did you? Bunny!). Always save unless you can 100% explicitly trust the source (don't trust your friends) and always get your apps direct from the makers site not some third party share. For me, 9 out of 10 viruses I clean up the customer knew exactly what they did to get it. No need to bog down your computer with unecessary apps and utilities that will sap that precious processing power we all seek. Mess around with all the apps you want on your client devices but use your server for why you bought it and for what it was designed for. For most of us that is backup, streaming, a central repository for files and remote access.
    Wednesday, 29 February 2012 7:05 AM
  • No search was not giving me the most recent articles. I had to find the most recent by manually looking.

James A+, Network+, MCP

Wednesday, 29 February 2012 1:31 PM
  • "Server OS don't need AV"- Honestly I'm not taking advise from someone who speaks like that. Also, here at my job we have AV on most servers. It most definatley needs to be on ones that you access from remote locations. Servers serve- in this case yes... But that's not all they do in the real world. Ever hear of Terminal Servers? I don't mean to be rude but your comment about if the client has AV you are safe is untrue. Do you know how many viruses can move through a network undetected... Quite a few. If you could get documentation from leading AV experts I'd be glad to review it. I highly doubt Symantec, McAfee, Sophos etc are going to agree with your theory.

Back to my original post. Ken thanks for the update.

James A+, Network+, MCP

Back to my original post. Ken thanks for the update.

• Edited by jshoemaker21 Wednesday, 29 February 2012 1:37 PM
    Wednesday, 29 February 2012 1:37 PM
  • I don't know about you, but I've been running Clamwin AV on my windows servers for a while. I have it setup for scheduled scans and email notifications and its been fine for me.

DarthSwian@Hotmail.acom

Wednesday, 29 February 2012 1:51 PM
  • AV vendors have a vested interest in making sure that every computer in the world is running their software, so please take anything they tell you with a 50 lb block of salt. However, any computer exposed to the internet has some degree of vulnerability, so some sort of anti-malware is preferable. Windows Home Server has a very small surface area, so exposure is relatively low; as a result leaving your sever with nothing is not the worst plan in the world.

All that said, just about any AV that will install should work, whether it's officially supported by the AV vendor or not; the drives in your server are no longer special because of Drive Extender. So if you like Forefront and can afford it, it should work. Same for other offerings. I will warn you that if something goes wrong with your chosen AV, Microsoft and the AV vendor will almost certainly disclaim any responsibility unless the AV vendor claims full support and doesn't include a bunch of weasel words in the EULA to effectively disclaim all responsibility. (Hint: last time I looked, all AV vendors disclaim just about all responsibility if Bad Things™ happen.)

One AV you will not get working, I'm afraid, is Microsoft's free offering.

Regarding search: Try this one. It's where the forum search (which is broken again) redirects when you search this forum for AV antivirus. There are several hits on the first page that are pretty current.

Wednesday, 29 February 2012 2:43 PM
  • I know they are trying to sell the products of course. But as you said anything connected to the internet has some degree of vulnerability. Some of us don't mind paying extra for pro-active measures is my point. I do however would like something made specifically for the OS as in previous versions.

James A+, Network+, MCP

Wednesday, 29 February 2012 2:50 PM
  • I fully agree as regards wanting a good protective suite on my server. I just don't think there's any real risk as long as all I do is use the tools Microsoft provided. If I don't install desktop applications, or SQL Server, or configure multiple additional web sites, there's little real risk. Not zero risk, just "not much".
    ... I do however would like something made specifically for the OS as in previous versions.
    Feel free to lobby all and sundry. Don't be surprised if all you hear in reply is crickets. :)

Wednesday, 29 February 2012 5:16 PM
  • I would agree, seriously doubt any software vendor is going  target that specific OS, its not a desktop OS and I would imagine its not in high usage. I work as a windows developer with lots of other windows people and techies and I'm the only one I know who runs it.

DarthSwian@Hotmail.acom

Wednesday, 29 February 2012 6:21 PM
  • Hy,

Check this,   G Data IS HomeServer 2012

Pieter

Thursday, 1 March 2012 8:23 PM
  • Do you have a link? I don't see it on their site. Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP

Thursday, 1 March 2012 8:41 PM
  • Lots of discussion on this forum about how GData AV does not work very well at all! Do a search.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, 1 March 2012 8:57 PM
  • Hey Phil,

Could you give me some links to these discussions, i have been searching but could not find anything. 

Thanks

Thursday, 1 March 2012 9:19 PM
  • Found it. gonna stick with the russian K AV and nod on the server.

Thanks for the tip Phil.

Thursday, 1 March 2012 9:45 PM
  • Hey Phil,

Could you give me some links to these discussions, i have been searching but could not find anything. 

Thanks

Searching for GData on this site will reveal:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whs2011/thread/6e2841ca-5ba1-4625-9983-ceac2a8ba0bb

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, 1 March 2012 9:46 PM
  • Microsoft Forefront Client Security works well, non-intrusive, low CPU, very much like Security Essentials:
    http://tinkertry.com/antivirus4whs2011/

Wednesday, 14 March 2012 2:23 AM
  • On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 02:23:52 +0000, tinkererguy wrote:

Microsoft Forefront Client Security works well, non-intrusive, low CPU, very much like Security Essentials:
    http://tinkertry.com/antivirus4whs2011/

There are lots of A/V solutions that work on WHS 2011, it is, after all,
    Windows Server 2008 R2 at its core. What most here are looking for is
    something that works, is supported, and is inexpensive. While
    Forefront can be made to work, it is not supported, and as you
    obliquely point out in your blog post, if you've got an MSDN subscription,
    or a Technet subscription, you don't have a license to use it in anything
    other than a testing/development environment (unless you happen to be a
    Microsoft Certified Partner in which case you get an extension to your MSDN
    license that allows you to use MSDN software to run your business).

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Program:  What commercials try to do to us.

Wednesday, 14 March 2012 4:25 AM
  • Eset NOD 32 Antivirus and Smart Security are available for WHS 2011 now. http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN37&searchid=1332057060976#Home_Server_Note
    • Edited by Lordick Sunday, 18 March 2012 8:05 AM
    Sunday, 18 March 2012 8:03 AM
  • Heed the warnings.
    "Warning:
    Do not install ESET Smart Security on a "headless" server machine, a computer without a monitor and keyboard directly attached. ESET only recommends ESET NOD32 Antivirus, due to possible Personal firewall conflicts."

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2212

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Eset NOD 32 Antivirus and Smart Security are available for WHS 2011 now. http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN37&searchid=1332057060976#Home_Server_Note

BullDawg
    Sunday, 18 March 2012 9:32 AM
  • I was running Avast for WHS on my v1 -- installed as a add-in.

I read somewhere that the same version runs on WHS2011, just not as a WHS add-in.

I installed it at the server level and it's running fine.  It even took my license file, which gives me another year-and-a-half of free automatic updates.  It pops up as Avast 4.8 Server Edition.  Apparently, they haven't updated the engine since 2008, but the signatures get updated at least once a day.  The event logger shows no issues -- it runs as silently and efficiently as it did on my WHSv1.

files are shared, workstations are backed up (and occasionally restored) and life goes on...

Saturday, 24 March 2012 6:13 PM
  • AV for WHS 2011, try ad-aware antivirus works good so far for whs 2011 on my PC

( its free also) 

Tuesday, 27 March 2012 5:07 PM
  • Appears to be unsupported on WHS 2011.

Supported Operating Systems
    Windows 7, Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit), Windows XP (32-bit), Windows 2000 Pro

http://lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php?t=techspecs

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

AV for WHS 2011, try ad-aware antivirus works good so far for whs 2011 on my PC

( its free also)

BullDawg
    Wednesday, 28 March 2012 4:37 AM
  • I don't know of any AV software with real-time scanning which works with WHS 2011, but you can manually scan for virus with Microsoft safety scanner ( http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx ).  You can use this as a temp fix until you find something.  I use this and have found viruses which the scanner actually removed to my surprise.

Night Owl

Monday, 30 April 2012 2:07 AM
  • It doesn't look like this supports WHS.

James A+, Network+, MCP

Tuesday, 12 June 2012 10:28 PM
  • Any updates???

James A+, Network+, MCP

Tuesday, 12 June 2012 10:33 PM