none
Make appointments for another user?

Question

• Hi,

is it possible to set an appointment up for another CRM user (in the same organisation of course), We have tried the Assigning options but will not show up on other users Calendar...?

Cheers and regards Rossco
    Tuesday, 23 March 2010 1:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Interesting.  I would think that should show up in the user's calendar if you re-assign the appointment to that user, but it is not working for me as you stated. 

Although I can get it to show up if I set the user as an Optional or Required Attendee or as the Organizer.  Are any of these feasible for you to use?

Tuesday, 23 March 2010 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

I have seen the same "issue". You'll have to set the new user as Organizer to have it show up in this users calender. I don't know if this is intended behaviour or not, but to me it sound strange. Since it's the "Owner" and not the Organizer you change when you assign an activity to somebody else, I'd expect that this would also make it appear in that users Outlook calender.

Maybe someone has a good explanation on this?

Steen Schlüter Persson (DK)
    Tuesday, 23 March 2010 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

It works when you set the newly assigned user as 'Organizer' in the Appointment. After you synch with Outlook, it will appear in the newly assigned user's calendar.

Regards, Astri Kusumawardani
    Tuesday, 23 March 2010 3:55 AM
  • It's great. But, it quite complicated to set every time. There is anyone to have a way to show it up automatically in the same BU or organization?  Thanks in advance
    Tuesday, 23 March 2010 4:16 AM
  • It should appear in other Users calander when  you changed the status to Scheduled - Busy.
    Tuesday, 23 March 2010 5:29 AM
  • Hi All, it doesn't need to re-assign appointment or change it's Organizer.

All users who have been added to the Appointment as either Required or Optional have the Appointment Activity show up on their calendar.

Akvelon Inc - Microsoft CRM customization services
    Tuesday, 23 March 2010 8:21 AM
  • Hi Gren,

As rightly said by Ksenia if the User is added as either Required or Optional or even the Organizer will have the Appointment shown on their calendar.

To explain this with a case scenario:

Suppose a CRM user doesn't have the rights to create an Appointment. All he does is view's his calendar to see his next scheduled meeting and prepares for it. This scenario usually occurs when a Sales Person is on the field and the Sales Manager schedules Appointments for him in CRM.

In this case the Sales Manager is the Owner of the appointment but not necessarily a required, optional or organizer of the meeting and hence will not show up in his calendar. Now if the Sales Manager changes, all the Appointments will be assigned to him but will not appear on his calendar as he is just the Owner of the Appointment.

Hope this makes sence! If anyone thinks there's more to this, please leave your replies.

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    http://mscrmnovice.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, 23 March 2010 9:05 AM
  • I'd like to share my idea.  In my calendar,i don't want to see other user's appointment and show it in my calendar even the same BU or Organ. So, i created advanced find for whom i would like to see.  Hope this help.  Thank you
    Tuesday, 23 March 2010 9:13 AM
  • I agree that it seems illogical that when you reassign an appointment so that the owner changes that the appointment still shows up in your calendar and not theirs. You could probably fix this quite easily with a workflow rule that gets triggered when the appointment is reassigned, change the Organzier to be the same as the Owner. I hope this meets your requirement.

Neil

Tuesday, 23 March 2010 10:01 AM
  • Hi All,

thanks for your tips, I will try a few of these and report back by the end of the week...

Tuesday, 23 March 2010 11:05 PM
  • Actually it also bothers me that if you just Assign an Activity to another user, then it do appears in this users CRM list of Activities, but it never synchronises to his Outlook Calender. In my opinion it must be a missing functionality in the Assign function and makes it a little bit useless. If it shouldn't happen automatically, it could at least gvie you the option to change the Owner and/or set the Assigned to user as a required or optional user.

Another this with this that is annoying, is that when you book a meeting for another user from CRM, they never get a normal Outlook invitation to either Accept or Reject the meeting. It just by default pops up as a meeting in their calender with out any notice. I know that there are most likely valid reason to why it works like that, but it would be great if the users would get the meeting inviation so they could see that they had been invited to a meeting.

Tuesday, 23 March 2010 11:50 PM
  • "but it would be great if the users would get the meeting inviation so they could see that they had been invited to a meeting."

have your users create the Meeting in Outlook and use the Track in CRM button.  This will ensure users get a notice.  If you don't want to do that, then you can create a workflow that sends an e-mail notice to the Meeting Attendees when a Meeting is created in CRM.  If you want the Accept, Reject and Notification functionality that Outlook offers, then users need to creat the meeting in Outlook and track in CRM

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Thursday, 25 March 2010 6:06 PM
  • Hi all,

Wow, this info is great and so far what works for us is the setting Required/Optional options in the appointment setup as proposed by Ksenia, however, what Donna just said would be great, but it is because of not having the ability to track in CRM in another users Outlook calendar that we prefer Ksenia's option....

....but would be great to be able to do it all through Outlook...;-)

Thursday, 25 March 2010 8:18 PM
  • Hi Donna,

I agree that it can be done from a "regular" Outlook Appointment. Our issue with this though, is that we then are missing a few fields that we "requre" the users to fill out on a CRM appointment - e.g. a Category (they are actually not set to Required but to get our statistics correct they should be filled out). There might be ways to get these fields on an Outlook appointment though, but then we'll have to publish/enable specific forms only for users running CRM.

I follow your idea about creating a workflow to notify meeting attendees about a meeting, but they will just notify them - it will still not give them the option to Accept or Reject the meeting.

I fully understand that ts might not be easy to create the right solution for this (and there might be technical reasons for why it works as it does), but it would just be great if a CRM appointment would work a little bit more like a normal Outlook appointment, where you can "Send" the appointment to the participant so they can respond to it.

Thursday, 25 March 2010 10:22 PM
  • Hi Steen,

Understood, please check the Microsoft Connect site to see if that suggestion already exists.  If so, please vote for it.  If not, please add the suggestion as I've seen this type of request come up frequently and I think many would appreciate it.

In the mean time, and as a workaround if you want to have the Outlook function and overcome the required data issue, you could allow users to create the meeting in Outlook, track in CRM, and then either remind the users to update the fields in CRM through an e-mail reminder using a workflow, consider some customization that would allow the user's to provide the data for the fields, or use existing synch fields for the data.  Please see the Outlook Synchronization whitepaper for a list of those fields.

Thank you

Thursday, 25 March 2010 11:06 PM
  • Hi Steen,

Understood, please check the Microsoft Connect site to see if that suggestion already exists.  If so, please vote for it.  If not, please add the suggestion as I've seen this type of request come up frequently and I think many would appreciate it.

In the mean time, and as a workaround if you want to have the Outlook function and overcome the required data issue, you could allow users to create the meeting in Outlook, track in CRM, and then either remind the users to update the fields in CRM through an e-mail reminder using a workflow, consider some customization that would allow the user's to provide the data for the fields, or use existing synch fields for the data.  Please see the Outlook Synchronization whitepaper for a list of those fields.

Thank you

More grreat info, thanks Donna :-)
    Friday, 26 March 2010 1:05 AM
  • You're welcome
    Friday, 26 March 2010 1:15 AM