none
CRM Outlook Client will not sign in

Question

• Hello Experts,

I've got what seems to be a common problem, but have yet to find a solution that works here.  I have a machine with Dynamics CRM 2011 Outlook Client that will not connect when trying to Sign In while in "CRM Disconnected" state.  When attempting to do so, it just gets stuck saying "CRM Trying to Connect".

This happened after trying to change the computers "My Documents" location, to move it off of the root SSD and onto a mechanical hard drive.  Right away, when that broke CRM, it was  reversed.  But CRM hasn't been functioning since.  It seems to go through the Configuration Wizard fine, but Outlook will not recognize it as Signed In.

In the Event Viewer, this error is displayed:

"An error occurred initializing a process that triggers Microsoft CRM actions based on Outlook events.  Some synchronization or tagging actions may not occur.  Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. HR=0x80040107. Context=. Function=CAddin::OnEnabled. Line=1093."  Source = MSCRMAddin.  Event ID = 5975

Some things that have been tried:

• Uninstalling Office 2010 and Dynamics CRM, and Reinstalling.  When reinstalling, this is taken from the Online prompt to download the latest.  When trying to install the latest rollup, it just gives an error message saying it's not compatible, presumably because of how new this version is.  Tried this repeatedly, and in different magnitudes (finally using an uninstaller to search for and delete all registry items before reinstalling again.)
    • In case the PST file was corrupted, first compacted it, then tried SCANPST.EXE repeatedly until no errors found.  When that didn't work, tried a brand new PST.  Still no joy.
    • Removed Antivirus and Firewalls temporarily.
    • Completely removed from a second computer (the non-synchronizing one) just in case of conflict.
    • Tried disabling and even removing other Outlook Add-Ons.
    • Tried a System Restore to a time prior to the attempt to move "My Documents" to another hard drive.
    • Tried deleting stored credentials in the Windows' User Accounts --> Credentials Manager.
    • Changed Windows Live password so it would be forced to ask for new credentials.
    • Tried a second go at moving to another drive, in case it wanted to work from there.  Then another round of uninstalling, reinstalling, then moved back again and did the same again.
    • Reboot umpteen² times in between attempts.

I'm not really sure where or what log information to give to help find the answer, but I really appreciate the help!

Friday, 16 March 2012 7:07 PM

Answers

• After the latest uninstall/reinstall of both Dynamics CRM and Outlook, I tried creating a new PST again, guessing the old one might still have been corrupted while moving folders.

This time it worked.

Thanks again for your help!
    • Marked as answer by BlueMuleIT Monday, 19 March 2012 8:49 PM
    Monday, 19 March 2012 8:49 PM

All replies

• Create new Windows user account with the configuration you desire, then configure CRM Outlook Client.
    Friday, 16 March 2012 7:24 PM
  • Thanks, Kosta.  Tried it on the computer's local account.  That does work.  Do you happen to know what needs to be fixed on this account for it to work as well?

The current account is already used on a couple of computers with heavy customization.  I'm hoping not to have to abandon ship on it if possible.

Friday, 16 March 2012 7:35 PM
  • 1. Uninstall CRM Outlook Client.

2. Download the installation package manually accoding to your system.
    Be aware of the language you choose and 64bit/i386. The same parameters should be used when downloading the RU.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 for Microsoft Office Outlook (Outlook Client)
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27821

Update Rollup 6 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 (KB 2600640)
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=28712

3. Install CRM Outlook Client and then run the RU installation.

Friday, 16 March 2012 7:51 PM
  • 1. Done.

2. Done.  This is on a Windows 7 64-bit Pro, running 32-bit Office 2010, so downloaded the 32-bit version of Dynamics. 

3. Installed 32-bit version of Dynamics.  (Just for grins, tried installing the 64-bit, but it correctly said it needed to be the 32-bit, which installed with no errors popping up as usual.)

When trying to install the Update Rollup 6, however, things don't go so smoothly. The CRM2011-Client-KB2600640-ENU-i386.exe and the CRM2011-Mui-KB2600640-ENU-i386.exe both give this same message when trying to install:
    "Action Microsoft.Crm.UpdateWrapper.MspInstallAction failed.  The upgrade cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade."

Again, just to be sure, tried the 64-bit version, which comes back saying:
    "Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook is not installed on this computer or the update is incompatible with the current installation of Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook"

So perhaps I was wrong to assume earlier that it wouldn't install the Update Rollup because of having already installed the latest version of the client?

Thanks!

Friday, 16 March 2012 9:18 PM
  • you could check the time on the machine is near the time on the CRM server, if it's different then it won't authenticate and thus can't access

Ben Hosking
    Check out my CRM Blog
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Saturday, 17 March 2012 1:01 AM
  • Thanks Hoskinator,

I tried playing with time time.  Verified server settings are at the same time zone as my machine. 

Something odd stood out: In CRM Online, if we go to Settings --> System --> Administration --> System Settings and click on the Formats tab, the grayed out information shows current date information.  Except while the minute is accurate, the hour it shows seems to be GMT, not GMT -6 (where we're at.)  But I've never seen that cause a problem before, and mine would be the only machine with that problem.  Also, from the Configuration Wizard I'm able to find my server and communicate with it.  The problem only occurs inside of Outlook where it will not Sign In. 

I wonder if the problem is related to Microsoft's re-relase of Rollup 6?  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2668504 

It seems the one I've downloaded may have the rollup slipstreamed, explaining why I get errors when trying to install it.  I cannot seem to find a link to download the original version and then apply the rollup manually. 

Monday, 19 March 2012 2:19 PM
  • Tried a deep uninstallation of both Dynamics CRM and even Office 2010, complete with registry cleanup and deleting residual files and installing again.

Still no improvement.

Is there any way of downloading the prior version of Dynamics CRM, without the slipstreamed update rollup 6?

Monday, 19 March 2012 6:41 PM
  • After the latest uninstall/reinstall of both Dynamics CRM and Outlook, I tried creating a new PST again, guessing the old one might still have been corrupted while moving folders.

This time it worked.

Thanks again for your help!
    • Marked as answer by BlueMuleIT Monday, 19 March 2012 8:49 PM
    Monday, 19 March 2012 8:49 PM
  • If the uninstall/reinstall doesn't resolve the problem, I have found that there can be issues with the OST file if Exchange mailbox is set in Cached Mode.   My issue was resolved by removing the enable cached mode from the mailbox settings and they were instantly able to connect.

• Proposed as answer by BharatP Thursday, 24 May 2012 1:56 PM
    Thursday, 24 May 2012 1:32 PM
  • Here's a Microsoft KB article that should provide a more precise explanation and resolution to your original question. It's likely not related to the *.PST file. It is related to an install package re-release by Microsoft. By uninstalling and reinstalling CRM for Outlook (using the latest install package from Microsoft's download site), you followed the recommended steps in the Microsoft KB2668504 and thus resolved the issue.

MspInstallAction failed when installing an Update Rollup on Microsoft Dynamics CRM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2668504

This KB applies to error messages: "KB2600640 is not installed on this computer or the update is incompatible with the current installation of KB2600640." and the one below.

"Action Microsoft.Crm.UpdateWrapper.MspInstallAction failed. The  upgrade cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade."

• Edited by An2011 Monday, 16 July 2012 8:33 PM Error message edits
    Monday, 16 July 2012 8:15 PM
  • I have the same issue even with Roll up 1...

I'm running Win 7 pro 64 bit, Office 32 bit. Ive installed the CRM client which also give a Office as stopped working error message but it seems to continue to work and give access to the CRM files via Outlook. Ive previously ran this laptop on 64bit office with 64 bit browser but was getting issues with Siverlight not liking 64 bit browser so went down to 32 bit... Still having issues.  

Tuesday, 31 July 2012 3:19 PM