Uninstall Windows Live One Care

Question

• I am running a 32 bit version of vista business. I am trying to install windows 7 but keep getting the message to delete windows live one care. Windows live one care is not listed with the programs that can be uninstalled.  The one care clean up tool when used reports that it has sucssfully removed the program, but when I attempt to upgrade to windows 7, I get the message that Windows Live One Care must be removed. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, 2 February 2011 5:11 PM

Answers

• The cleanup tool should remove it completely. Personally, I'd not upgrade to Win7, but perform a clean installation and use the Easy Transfer wizard to migrate settings and data from Vista to Win7 using an external USB drive. it will require installation of all programs on the new Win7 install, but it will be a much cleaner system and a faster process.

I suspect that there may be some leftover registry entries for Windows Live OneCare or perhaps program or data folders, though I imagine that the upgrade is seeing running processes or the registry. You aren't running ForeFront, are you? It has shared components to OneCare. What security are you running? Have you also removed that? You should for an OS upgrade.

You can get help from the MSE Support techs for the removal of OneCare detrius as it inhibits the install of MSE. When you contact them, advise that MSE fails to install on Vista due to it reporting that OneCare is still installed. ;-) 

To open an email support case, start here:

https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

Note that OneCare Support is still available in some regions (not in North America), so you may try the "How to reach support" (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90 to see if you have access to OneCare Support.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, 2 February 2011 8:27 PM