none
UK Money Users

Question

• I see MS is closing the UK Money newsgroup and is referring users here. There seems to be advice specific to US users only, especially re the upcoming cessation of support (as I understand it, US 'sunset' versions cannot be used in the UK). Will similar arrangements be made for UK users?
    Sunday, 23 May 2010 11:08 AM

All replies

• Are you asking about Forum support or a Sunset version for the UK?

Re. establishing a UK-specific forum, my put would be that the declining volume and so forth suggest we are all better off in one bigger boat.

Re. a UK Sunset version, the driving reason for the US Sunset release was that M+ (the last US version release) REQUIRED online acivation upon reinstallation and the Sunset release removes that restriction. Without Sunset, anybody reinstalling M+ after the end of online activation support would not end up with a working product. I'm not aware of any similar limitations on UK users reinstalling from their M05 CDs.

Sunday, 23 May 2010 10:16 PM
  • My only comment re reinstalling UK M2005 is that a sizeable patch needs to be downloaded and this will "go away" when MS switch off their servers.

Suggest that you read http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx and make your CD well in advance (and of course test it).

Monday, 24 May 2010 2:35 PM
  • I agree a 'joint' Forum seems sensible, and I was indeed enquiring about a UK 'sunset' version. The last UK version is 2005, which requires a substantial patch from MS to get going. There is a fix for this (see Bob Peel's post) but it's really clunky and requires a fair degree of computing nous. Call me picky, but I think MS should continue to make this patch available, or release a 'patched' version. I've used Money to keep the household budget since forever and I'm reluctant to change... 
    Monday, 24 May 2010 10:36 PM
  • Agreed M05 causes its own set of pain.

UK users probably have a case for at least providing hte patch in some installable way. But I'm betting it won't happen.

So the least bad answer is probably to continue to encourage M05 users worldwide to take precautions prior to the end of January 2011 to protect themselves.

Tuesday, 25 May 2010 1:37 AM
  • Bob, Does this also work for UK Money 2004 (v12)?
    Saturday, 29 May 2010 4:25 PM
  • WorkingWounded, it's not relevant to 2004, as there was no patch to the program. 2004 should just continue without issue, even if you reinstall it.
    Monday, 31 May 2010 3:39 PM
  • WorkingWounded, it's not relevant to 2004, as there was no patch to the program. 2004 should just continue without issue, even if you reinstall it.

Thanks Glyn. That's a relief. Now need to figure a way to get automatic pricing......
    Wednesday, 2 June 2010 9:07 AM
  • Glyn, when I have had to reinstall my Money 2004, the new installation has not been able to read my data file immediately. It seems to have to download a patch or upgrade (something which it seems to do in it's own time). A few days later I can then open my old file. What will happen after termination day: how will my reinstalled Money read my current data file?

I have been desperately trying to find a replacement for Money but if my current version will be capable of being installed on a new computer I will stop looking.

Sunday, 20 June 2010 6:46 PM
  • Try the solution I posted on May 24th.

Suggest that you read http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx and make your CD well in advance (and of course test it).

Bob Peel

Monday, 21 June 2010 5:51 AM
  • I recently upgraded my computer to Win7 Home Premium (x64) and the CD I had prepared as per the previous post just did not work even though I had tested it before.  After much teeth gashing I did find a solution as follows.  A Sunday Times article pointed to two webpages www.tinyurl.com/c8274e and  www.tinyurl.com/399lfb5.

The advice on the first tinyurl page is wrong as Microsoft says this will not work with Win7 Home Premium and that you should use the Windows Compatibility already in Win7.  I did and chose to use WindowsXP SP3 as I knew Money 2005 worked OK.  I tested installing it as Win7 and the solutions below did not work. Incidentally the second page suggested using the American newer versions which do not read UK files.

I installed Money and ran into the upgrade problem. But I did find a solution at their webpage (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320193) in Solution 5.  But to get the download, you have to run Money as an administrator.  Set up a new file and rerun Money (as an administrator) again and you are immediately offered the download.  Accept it but you might find that the OK button does not appear but I moved my mouse around in the bottom right of the box and it did appear.  I then opened my old money file successfully.

I will try the CD routine as a backup as, like you, I cannot be sure the 1105 patch will always be there.  Maybe a MS MVP would like to comment?
    Tuesday, 26 October 2010 12:49 PM
  • I installed Money and ran into the upgrade problem. But I did find a solution at their webpage (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320193) in Solution 5.  But to get the download, you have to run Money as an administrator.  Set up a new file and rerun Money (as an administrator) again and you are immediately offered the download.  Accept it but you might find that the OK button does not appear but I moved my mouse around in the bottom right of the box and it did appear.  I then opened my old money file successfully.

I will try the CD routine as a backup as, like you, I cannot be sure the 1105 patch will always be there.  Maybe a MS MVP would like to comment?

The  method 5 referred to is to create a new file, and allow an update to occur before trying to open your real *.mny file. That way will stop working at the end of January.

If making the patched CD does not work for you, an alternative is to make, and keep, a copy of the entire C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles folder from an installation of the same version after the 1105 patch. Then,  after reinstalling from the original Money 2005 disk (maybe a year or so from now), ovewrite the MNYCoreFiles folder in the new install with your saved copy of the patched MNYCoreFiles folder.

Wednesday, 27 October 2010 3:43 PM
  • Most useful especially the January deadline. I have cut a new CD which works but, as I run a 3 stage backup policy, I will also backup the 1105 patch files to my external hard drive. Most useful and much appreciated. regards Colin Reid
    Saturday, 30 October 2010 12:00 PM
  • Does anyone have specific advice about using the sunset verion in the UK?  I'm using Money 2005 & I want to move in preparation for when I get a new PC (2005 required a patch downloading which will probably no longer exist).

There are lots of references to Sunset being US specific (the .exe is called USMoneyBizSunset.exe which implies to me that it's US specific).  But I can't find anyone sayling that they've actually started using Sunset in the UK.

If the only restriction is not being able to download from banks that's not a problem for me - all I want to do is import my .mny file & keep recording my accounts/ running reports etc.

Bob Peel - I will in the meantime also follow your advice from http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

Thanks, Chris

Saturday, 27 November 2010 6:51 AM
  • Chris,

I use the sunset version with GBP base currency with no problems together with UK, USD & EUR denominated accounts and investments. Financially it's sound but you will not have any UK tax support.

Other than that I can't foresee any problems - it's completely multicurrency.

I've been running sunset on another PC for a while just to get the pocketsense scripts hacked and running on UK ticker updates. Would recommend you try this method first if you have a spare PC you can experiment with.

Saturday, 27 November 2010 8:12 AM
  • We used to use Money99 (UK) Business until we no longer had any legacy hardware + OS capable of running it  After we switched to Win 7 x64 I upgraded to US Money and now on to the Sunset edition.

This workd fine but it dit take a while to export accounts and transactions from Money99 then import them into the new version - mainly due to the need for item by item checking.

Now it's done it runs fine in multi currency mode with the only issue being that invoices can only be issued in the base currency. Our workaround is to invoice in any currency as £1=1 in the other currency and correct the figure when we enter payment after the actual exchange rate is known.

The only thing I don't seem to have figured out is the way Equity is handled on the balance sheet where "net income" = the negative of our "shareholders funds" and "unresolved equity" = the negative of our "directors loan account". Both these values seem to be system generated and I can't figure out where they are being calculated from. I'm starting to wonder if I have something simple and basic wrong so does anyone have a link to details of how Money should be set up to handle this correctly?

Re the idea of a UK forum I agree with the Joint Forum but would there be some mileage in creating separate areas for domestic and business use - we run 2 files (domestic and business) and the issues are somewhat different with each.

Wednesday, 15 December 2010 11:23 AM
  • Does anyone have specific advice about using the sunset verion in the UK?  I'm using Money 2005 & I want to move in preparation for when I get a new PC (2005 required a patch downloading which will probably no longer exist).

There are lots of references to Sunset being US specific (the .exe is called USMoneyBizSunset.exe which implies to me that it's US specific).  But I can't find anyone sayling that they've actually started using Sunset in the UK.

If the only restriction is not being able to download from banks that's not a problem for me - all I want to do is import my .mny file & keep recording my accounts/ running reports etc.

Bob Peel - I will in the meantime also follow your advice from http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

Thanks, Chris

You are right... the 1105 patch is expected to disappear by the end of January, so make a v1105-specific disc now while you have a working version.

I've had a look at Sunset as I thought it would solve the problem for me as, like others, I don't need on-line bank statements.

However it will NOT convert UK data files; this is a quote on Microsofts website:

"The Sunset versions are able to open and convert Money Plus files and files from older versions of Money (e.g. Money 2006, Money 2007).  The Sunset version cannot convert files created by regional (non-US) versions of Money "

So, I just WISH that Microsoft would do the decent thing, especially as we can't even buy another product that will solve our problem, and that is to PLEASE make a download of the v1105 patch available before the end of this year!  What on earth could be simpler!

Monday, 20 December 2010 11:34 PM
  • I used Quicken until they anounced it's withdrawl (when was that in the UK ? ages ago) so I switched to Money and now I'm wondering where to go now.

Let me say, I've never used the any banking links that might have been available, preferring to enter transactions myself and reconcile them against paper and now downloaded (pdf) statements. I do use the facility to auto-update share prices which I've been expecting to be turned off for some years now but it still works.

I see lots of discussion about making the 2004 - 2005 update available off-line, which is useful to know about but there's very little discussion about using the later US versions instead of the UK ones and that would presumably lead to using the Sunset version, sometime in the future.

I have just installed the trial US 2008 version on a separate pc and opened my 2005 UK file with no problem at all. I haven't done a detailed check on all the accounts but it all looks right and the portfolio is updating prices as it should too. Is there a downside that I'm missing here, surely it's easier to use the US 2008 version to convert the data file then use the sunset version when the on-line facilities are turned off than it is to start copying program files and dlls ? I feel a bit more secure believing I have two options available !

It makes me wonder if I could switch back to a US version of Quicken (how ironic is that); it's a shame they don't do a trial version, at least not one I can find. I'd have to buy the $90 Premier version to find out if it works as I'd want it to.

I'd be interested if anyone else is thinking or experimenting on similar lines.

Thursday, 23 December 2010 7:48 PM
  • I use the Money 2005 UK version. I have already created an installation disc with the updates included. I don't use the on line reconciliation facilities as I don't currently live in the UK and most of my accounts are with offshore banks not compatible with Money - I am used to doing it manually from my on-line statements. Same with my investments. I am therefore going to hang in with the 2005 version.

It has worked for some considerable time as it stands without the involvement of further updates and it stores a long and detailed record of my financial data. It seems very short sighted of Microsoft to simply abandon it, when there is nothing around that seems to be comparable. Surely this presents an opportunity for someone to come up with a replacement?

<Brian WM> wrote in message news:e19e04b6-9bdd-4d4e-91e7-32104aeefeb4@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I used Quicken until they anounced it's withdrawl (when was that in the UK ? ages ago) so I switched to Money and now I'm wondering where to go now.

Let me say, I've never used the any banking links that might have been available, preferring to enter transactions myself and reconcile them against paper and now downloaded (pdf) statements. I do use the facility to auto-update share prices which I've been expecting to be turned off for some years now but it still works.

I see lots of discussion about making the 2004 - 2005 update available off-line, which is useful to know about but there's very little discussion about using the later US versions instead of the UK ones and that would presumably lead to using the Sunset version, sometime in the future.

I have just installed the trial US 2008 version on a separate pc and opened my 2005 UK file with no problem at all. I haven't done a detailed check on all the accounts but it all looks right and the portfolio is updating prices as it should too. Is there a downside that I'm missing here, surely it's easier to use the US 2008 version to convert the data file then use the sunset version when the on-line facilities are turned off than it is to start copying program files and dlls ? I feel a bit more secure believing I have two options available !

It makes me wonder if I could switch back to a US version of Quicken (how ironic is that); it's a shame they don't do a trial version, at least not one I can find. I'd have to buy the $90 Premier version to find out if it works as I'd want it to.

I'd be interested if anyone else is thinking or experimenting on similar lines.

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    Friday, 24 December 2010 8:11 AM
  • It seems I have a problem as I was unaware until today that Microsoft are stopping their servers for Money 2005.  I don't have the backup disk so won't be able to reinstall.  To make matters worse I am a Mac user, I run a virtual Windows machine on my Mac just so I can use Money, which like others, I switched to when Quicken stopped their UK support.  I have looked everywhere to find a product with the capabilities of Money, but without success.  There seems to be a big gap in the market here, and, like others, I have a lot of legacy data going back years which I need Money for.  I will try copying the application file as suggested and hope that works if I do need to reinstall.  Do I understand that we cannot now download share prices?  If so, then I will be forced to find another product!  I don't need or use the direct downloading from the bank as my bank has never supported it and prefer to manual reconcilation, but I do use the Portfolio feature on a daily basis.

Why have you abandoned us, Microsoft?

Friday, 4 February 2011 7:51 PM
  • People do download quotes and in many cases statements in to Money without use of the Microsoft servers. Do a search on PocketSense.  Right now that does not handle symbols over 12 characters. That will be resolved-- probably with a translation table where one symbol can be used to get the symbol, and a different symbol will be delivered to Money. Also, there are currency issues under study for those who might use more than one currency.

Friday, 4 February 2011 9:39 PM
  • On the share price update front: in addition to what Cal suggested using PocketSense, there is also an active discussion at the following URL (see the comment section) related to hleOfxQuotes.jar tool: http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/java-app-to-update-quotes/

• Edited by hleOfxQuotes Saturday, 5 February 2011 4:42 AM fix typo
    Friday, 4 February 2011 9:57 PM
  • On the share price update front: in addition to what Cal suggested using PocketSense, there is also an active discussion at the following URL (see the comment section) related to hleOfxQuotes.jar tool: http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/java-app-to-update-quotes/

Does your system cater for UK users - ie can it download non-US stock prices, and can it cater for multiple-currency portfolios?

When I last checked, the Pocketsense solution could not do either of the above, making it useless for UK users. I have't invested any time in examining your solution yet (not least because my updates are still working).

Saturday, 5 February 2011 1:59 PM
  • App

• has support for two additional quote sources: ft.com and Google Portfolio. Both have good coverage for UK fund (in particular ft.com).
    • has support for mapping a quote source symbol to MM symbol.
    • both ft.com and Google Portfolio provides currency in its data so we have enough information to write out symbol's specific currency in the generated *.ofx file. It is unclear if MM honor that. I don't use multi-currency to be able to test that area.
    • there is an outstanding issue with 05UK, in that import statement with zero share does NOT update the quote price. We are looking into a work-around: generating fake share count to force MM into creating transactions.

In general, most of us US developer have no access to 05UK and are likely having zero knowledge on multi-currency usage. So we can use some testing and feed back on above issues.

Saturday, 5 February 2011 5:00 PM
  • On a similar note can anyone help please. I am a UK user and have everything on MS Money (since 1998!!) but my PC crashed while I was away in January. All the data is backed up but I can't download the patch (1105?) to update Money 2005 because appqarently this facility was terminated at the end of January. Surely there must be a way for me to access my data?
    Monday, 7 February 2011 3:53 PM
  • you will need to source a money version with the patch installed. i must have been lucky as i made a version for myself only a few days ago. there are guide on this forum on how to do so. But if the automatic update has stopped then your only hope is to look for a download from somewhere.
    Monday, 7 February 2011 4:27 PM
  • Depending how badly the PC crashed you might be able to recover the necessary files from your PC to make the magic CD. It is only a matter of copying files off. Failing that, there is the Sunset version. USA based, no file conversion from UK, etc etc. I would try to recover your Money Program folders and copy the files if at all possible. You only need a backup of the folders made any time in the last 5 years (or since you first installed 2005).
    Monday, 7 February 2011 6:32 PM
  • Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I have no idea where to get the download. Why would Microsoft simply pull the plug? I would happily use an alternative product if I could find one that reads the data!
    Tuesday, 8 February 2011 9:17 AM
  • Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. When I said "crashed" I actually meant destructively restored (because of a virus!) We weren't concerned because all the data was backed up on a drive and in dropbox but I didn't realise that the 2005 Update (which had worked previously) was no longer available after 31 Jan. Does anyone know where I can get a copy or an alternative product?
    Tuesday, 8 February 2011 9:21 AM
  • I didn't realise that the 2005 Update (which had worked previously) was no longer available after 31 Jan. Does anyone know where I can get a copy or an alternative product?

Although I have been using Money Plus for some time now and have recently installed the Sunset Edition, along with many others I followed the guidance to create a fully patched installation version of Money 2005 in case I ever needed to go back.  Now that Microsoft has made the Sunset Edition available for free download to anyone,  would it be legal to post a patched installable version of Money 2005 somewhere without infringing the Licence terms or Microsoft's copyright? One might have hoped that Microsoft UK would do this as a gesture for their previously loyal UK customers anyway but perhaps I am being naive there?  I, for one, would be quite happy to provide a copy to people such as Paddy59 who have years of data that cannot now be read. Perhaps providing evidence that you had a legally purchased version might be all that is required? 

If that is not legal then perhaps just the updated files that are installed in the patch previously downloaded from  Microsoft would be all that would be required as without a legal copy of Money they would be of no use to anyone?

Yes, one can export the files into Money Plus Sunset Edition but first you have to have a working edition of the software that created your Money files. I feel sure there are going to be many people like Paddy59 over the coming months who are desperate for a sensible solution?

Tuesday, 8 February 2011 5:26 PM
  • Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. When I said "crashed" I actually meant destructively restored (because of a virus!) We weren't concerned because all the data was backed up on a drive and in dropbox but I didn't realise that the 2005 Update (which had worked previously) was no longer available after 31 Jan. Does anyone know where I can get a copy or an alternative product?

Oh dear. I fear you will need to find a fellow Money 2005 user nearby who can look the other way whilst you borrow their patched version. Since you paid for the thing this would not even be illegal. There are numerous alternatives out there - google "personal finance review". However, MSMoney Sunset is as good or better than most and free. But read the reviews don't take my word for it.

Incidentally, stock market updates still working fine today.

Even more incidentally, there are numerous now useless copies of Money2005 on Ebay, some from computer stores. Could be some customers wanting their money back there I think!  

PS You could always try phoning Microsoft and whingeing... let us know!

Tuesday, 8 February 2011 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I presume your questions are rhetorical or is there some big brother who monitors this? I have a fully paid up Money 97 with a product ID plus the 2005 CD in its original DVD case with a receipt from PC World in Guildford for £24.99!! To whom can I send this to prove I am worthy of the patch? Surely common sense should prevail but I'm not sure how to contact real people!!
    Tuesday, 8 February 2011 7:01 PM
  • Good idea but do you have a number where real people live; so far I get  the unhelpful scripted response from call centre automatons!

As I mentioned to the other previous responder I am at a loss to know who I can contact to prove I have a properly paid and licensed product. Excuse my naivety but in what forms can the patch be provided (ie borrowed)?

Tuesday, 8 February 2011 7:07 PM
  • I would imaging that the only CD-based fix would be a complete, working, MSmoney 2005 CD which INCLUDES the patch as described here http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx This fix really does work, at least on XP and Win7. A neighbour of mine screwed her Windows folder and reinstalled XP. Her Program Files folder survived amd she was able to make her own patched CD from it. This was why I asked about the extent of the crash. If the Money program folder still exists then it can probably be used to make the CD.
    Tuesday, 8 February 2011 9:26 PM
  • Good idea but do you have a number where real people live; so far I get  the unhelpful scripted response from call centre automatons!

if the moderators think it is not going to break any rules,  I am quite happy for them to pass you my email address and if you contact me directly,  I would be quite prepared to stand the cost of a blank CD and stamp to send you a copy of Money 2005 than can be installed and run without having to go online for a non existent patch.

I believe in the spirit of users helping each other on the web.  I have had tremendous help and support from others over the years and am quite prepared to put myself out to help someone else.

Personally I find Microsoft's approach to this whole subject despicable.  If they can provide a Sunset version for the USA,  they should do the same in the UK for those who have bought the product, - sorry bought a licence to use the product to use the correct terminology.

Tuesday, 8 February 2011 10:02 PM
  • Personally I find Microsoft's approach to this whole subject despicable.  If they can provide a Sunset version for the USA,  they should do the same in the UK.

Totally agree. Or at least an import utility to get UK data into USA Sunset
    Tuesday, 8 February 2011 10:21 PM
  • Great idea! How do we get the moderators to respond?

Wednesday, 9 February 2011 3:55 PM
  • No response from moderators! Would it help if I put a phone number here?
    Wednesday, 9 February 2011 8:09 PM
  • To be fair Microsoft announced this ages ago - and this forum has been warning of the imminent issue for months. The UK version of the product will continue to work so a Sunset version is unnecessary, but you needed to update the installer before the on-line program updates were withdrawn in case it became necessary to re-install. Those updates are no longer available.

Personally I think Microsoft's withdrawal of support for a useful product is short sighted, but when did Microsoft ever take notice of my opinion on anything?

If you need a working installer to recover your data then contact me via my web site. I am sure we can come up with something ;)

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    Thursday, 10 February 2011 9:07 AM
  • The UK version of the product will continue to work so a Sunset version is unnecessary,

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe that Microsoft ever issued a version of the UK programme that would install without first going online to update itself?  An official, fully patched version of Money 2005 updated to 14.0.120.1105 is what I would have suggested to put UK users on an equal footing with the USA. 

There must be a large number of innocent people out there still using a version of Money that updated itself online who are going to upgrade their computer at some stage in the not too distant future and then find that they have lost the use of Money.  I would suggest that the proportion of Money users who read newsgroups and forums is quite small?

I would still like someone more knowledgeable than I am of Licence and Copyright matters to advise if it would be legal to host an installable version of UK Money somewhere.  As Microsoft has declared no interest in the programme any more it is hard to understand how they might object but I am aware that the world (and Microsoft's in particular) moves in mysterious ways!

Thursday, 10 February 2011 6:06 PM
  • Several points:

1) The die was cast on the M05 problem over six years ago. I agree they should have provided alternate ways to get the update given the special circumstances of M05--but I was saying that six years ago. This is in no way a new problem and M05 users have been being warned since long before M+ even came out.

2) The M05 case and the Sunset case also differ in that M+ cannot even be made to start in a reinstall. Granted, starting but not being able to open a real world data file are different only in degree.

3) I agree that way too many innocent users who trusted Microsoft and use M05 are going to get blindsided by this since they had better things to do along the way than pay attention to this issue/pop into places like this and microsoft.public.money to find out about it. But I would also say that this demonstrates that we all need to make careful risk assessments of who/what we trust our personal data to. In all likelihood you care more about it than whoever wants you to share it with them does. In this case, the instant you put it in Money you made an implicit assumption that MS would make it possible for you to use it into the future and any protections against that assumption being false were up to you to implement.

Nobody here is going to advise you on copyright--or encourage in any way anything that might look like piracy from some perspectives--and the legal answer probably would have to be it's Microsoft's until they specifically say otherwise or their copyright expires. That'll be when we are all dead here in the US since the term of copyright gets extended every time Mickey Mouse is about to go public domain.

We will probably remove postings that point to alternate sources for intellectual property from this forum. We just don't want to be a stick in Microsoft's eyes or they will likely see more reasons to kill this forum than to maintain it. Suffice it to say resourceful people find ways. But be careful out there--it is your personal financial data we are talking about. 'nuf said.

Friday, 11 February 2011 12:51 AM
  • 2) The M05 case and the Sunset case also differ in that M+ cannot even be made to start in a reinstall. Granted, starting but not being able to open a real world data file are different only in degree.

Upon further review--thinking about it for a few seconds--this is certainly hyperbolic if not just wrong. An unactivated M+ after the activation grace period is much less useless with a pre-existing data file than M05 without the patch is. Nothing about the M05.1 file format was good. M05 is where it became pretty clear they were giving up on even trying to build a sound product.

It matters not if we think UK users deserved a better answer to M05 Sunset than US users deserved to M+ Sunset. When they finally gave up, Microsoft obviously didn't care much about Money users/customers, UK or US. Not that they didn't try…

Friday, 11 February 2011 5:23 AM
  • Money 2005, UK and International versions, was a defective product as sold. Hence the need for an update to version 14.x.x.1105.

Microsoft is obliged, under the sale of goods legislation (in the UK at least), to provide a non-defective replacement. The questions are:

• whether an online update, withdrawable if not already removed, was and is an adequate remedy.
    • is the lapse of time so long that it is no longer reasonable to expect Microsoft to provide a physical or downloadable solution.

I think Microsoft will find that not providing a physical or downloadable solution will cause outrage and legal action because Money 2005 users, either reinstalling after a system failure or upgrading to a new system, will be unable to access historical financial data which some will need for tax and other statutory purposes.

Microsoft's original announcement for US versions of Money simply said that Money was being withdrawn. It was only later, presumably after the possible legal consequences were realised, that the Sunset editions were provided.

I think Microsoft will find itself obliged to provide Sunset versions for Money 2005 UK and other International versions. If Microsoft provides the solution now it will avoid damage to its reputation.

Friday, 11 February 2011 8:10 AM
  • Paddy59 - I am obviously not able to point you to a location that might contain copyrighted software but I trust that I am allowed to point you in a direction that might be able to provide you with some assistance in your current predicament?  I trust this will not incur the wrath of the moderators or indeed anyone else?

If you care to visit a small website for a Club I am involved with you will find an email link that leads to me.  Let me know how I might be able to assist and I will do my best.  The link is here: http://www.kinross-shire41club.org.uk/Membership.php 

ChrisWillsher

Since posting this message back in February, I have been able to help quite a few people get back into their Microsoft Money data.  Some have had literally years and years of records that they feared were now useless.  I have never sought payment for this help but have invited grateful recipients to make a donation to Cancer Research UK and can report that this has raised a useful sum of money for this worthwhile charity.

As I understand from postings elsewhere in this forum that Microsoft is planning to release a patched version of Money 2005 for UK users in due course and the files are now available from other sources detailed elsewhere in the forum, I am now withdrawing this offer. 

July 26th 2011

Friday, 11 February 2011 8:35 AM
  •  

The ability to update stock and shares prices have just been whisked away. No recent warnings about this change and when I wrote to MS UK in Reading, the letter I got back did not indicate this. First thing I knew of change was a splash across the screen saying online facilities have been withdrawn - please hit this button to update.  :(

Anyway - rest of package seems ok, so suddenly risen blood pressure gone down a bit. Does anybody know if the other alternative personal finance packages have the ability to update stocks + shares prices on-line? Or a seperate package that just does investments rather than day-to-day banking? 

Saturday, 12 February 2011 12:07 AM
  • I know nothing about Microsoft's legal position vis-a-vis M05 in the UK. But I do know that Microsoft is not stupid and knows how to assess legal and PR risks. I'm betting they've made the decision that their legal liability and public relations risk is miniscule for a product they last shipped in the UK many years ago. Remember, if there were that many users of current versions of Money, UK or otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I don't know exactly what made MS do Sunset in the US. I am completely confident with what I do know that any concern on their part about legal liability was irrelevant or less.

As to Microsoft worrying about damaging its reputation based on Money--have you followed Bob, Kin, WinPhone, XBox RROD, Zune, Bing mining google results, WHS Vail removing Drive Extender, … I'm thinking Money is the least of the threats to their reputation these days.

Saturday, 12 February 2011 1:23 AM
  • I too had this splash across my screen which, for one brief moment, had my heart pumping 10 to the dozen!  However, once the button was clicked all was well and apparently working fine.

Previous posts have suggested a link that points to a download of a working version of Money 2005 v1105.  Yes, of course this would be illegal.  But how about a link to the updated files  i.e. those in MnyCoreFiles?  Technically, Microsoft "own" these files so perhaps even that would be a bit dodgy!  But these files are useless to anyone who doesn't have the install CD.

I'd love to know the number of people unaware of this problem.  People like us(!) seem to thrive on stuff like this, but there must be WAY more users out there who are just looking after their bank accounts and all of a sudden, this past week, wonder why certain things are, or not, happening.

They will be in for a big shock when they update their laptop and find their install CD useless!

The ability to update stock and shares prices have just been whisked away. No recent warnings about this change and when I wrote to MS UK in Reading, the letter I got back did not indicate this. First thing I knew of change was a splash across the screen saying online facilities have been withdrawn - please hit this button to update.  :(

Anyway - rest of package seems ok, so suddenly risen blood pressure gone down a bit. Does anybody know if the other alternative personal finance packages have the ability to update stocks + shares prices on-line? Or a seperate package that just does investments rather than day-to-day banking? 

Sunday, 13 February 2011 11:41 PM
  • There's a quote a while back in this thread where Microsoft says US versions won't work on UK data. Has anyone  else actually tried this ?

I have taken my UK data file and run both a US 2008 trial version and the Sunset version (on different PCs) and in both cases the files have been converted just fine. I haven't done a detailed test because my UK version still works but I had a quick browse around and looked at some report totals and it all looks OK.

If this works then current and legacy data is protected. So, we do loose auto share updates (that's a pain for me as well) but it could be worse.

Anyone else tried this ?

Wednesday, 16 February 2011 4:14 PM
  • Yes, I just tried opening my Money 2005 UK file with the US Sunset version - and it didn't work. I got a message saying that the file had been created with a different version of money and could not be converted.

Wednesday, 16 February 2011 7:07 PM
  • I switched to a US downloaded version of Money Plus some years ago.  Whilst The subsequent Sunset version won't open a UK Money file it is possible to export from one and import into the other.  I seem to recall it was a bit fiddly but at least it only had to be done once.

Now the UK Money version quotes are still working I am regretting the change!  I am not sure, however, I can face the hassle of trying to go back again.  I have now got a reasonable procedure working for getting quotes of my UK funds into Money using a procedure developed by Hung Le using Java script and the FT quotes.  See http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ if you want more information.

ChrisWillsher
    Wednesday, 16 February 2011 8:37 PM
  • Re. Oh I dunno comments.

I'm using UK Money version 14.0.120.1105. The data file from this software can be converted by both US Money 2008 and the Sunset version and there was nothing fiddly, it just does it. I didn't have to export the data, I just opened my old file in the newly installed program.

I'm not sure what UK version you are using, my original Money disk box says "New for 2005" but it has c2004 on the disk. I had done an online program update that also updated the data file (this was years ago). Each time I reinstalled the software since then (new pc for eg.), I had to do the online program update before my data file could be opened. Maybe you never did the update and so your data file was never updated to a level that can be opened by the later US versions.

That's just my suggestion as to why mine worked and yours didn't and I can't see an easy way for you to fix it. I guess an updated UK 2005 program could update your data set which would then allow you to use the US versions. Wasn't there a patching method around that could do this ?

Wednesday, 16 February 2011 9:13 PM
  • The problem with the export/import routine was not the routine itself, you only have to do it once.  The problem was with what DIDN'T get transferred like share prices, payee addresses etc, comments, reports etc.  If it was possible to go from UK 2005 to Sunset and keep that stuff then I would do it in a shot.  Probably.
    Wednesday, 16 February 2011 11:02 PM
  • Hi,

I've been using UK MM99 to maintain a share portfolio and was blissfully unaware that MS were planning on discontinuing their share price feeds until a few days ago, when the updates stopped for a couple of days.

I am now very relieved to have the feeds working again (at least for the time being) but that have discovered that, although the latest prices are correct, chunks of my historic price data (pre 12 Feb) are now showing to be out by a factor of 100.  This has totally upset my share price charts and gain figures.

(FYI, the data for my Australian shares has been unaffected)

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do about it?

Regards

Mike

Friday, 18 February 2011 4:21 PM
  • Mike,

For the one that are off by x100, can you tell if there is a common pattern among them? equities? managed fund? the x100 seems to be a  kind of a nice, round number in the area of GBP vs GBX conversion.

Can you give a example of a specific symbol? I have a MM2005UK in a VM that I can a double check for you.

Friday, 18 February 2011 4:52 PM
  • Hi Hung Le,

Thanks for your reply and offering to check some symbols for me.

There doesn't seem to be a common pattern. It has effected all my UK equities and managed funds (eg Aviva AV. , Barclays BARC) but not my Australian shares.

Looking at the ''update price" box, today's and the 13/2/11 online prices are correct in all cases (the 17/2 and 16/2 are mostly but not always wrong); the 28/3/09 price is correct in several cases; and in most cases the prices revert to being correct sometime before 07 or 08 (but not at the same date). Otherwise, they are nearly all 100x out.

If I remember correctly there was a patch, several years ago, to correct a 100x out problem.

I shall be very interested to hear what you find.

Regards

Mike

Friday, 18 February 2011 8:36 PM
  • Very good observation mlhifi.

MS stopped selling Money a long time ago. They own the product, but unless they intend to re-market, or have financial interests in competitor product, have no revenue stream to protect.  From reading posts on this and other forum, some versions are still retrieving quotes others are not. I'm using MM2005v1105, and have created an upgraded installation cd for emergencies. I also created a copy of Sunset, belt and brace! For UK users it seems that v1105 is the most flexible in opening files created using other versions, and sunset opened my v1105 data file when I tested it last year. I haven't installed v1105 on a different PC yet, but a post on this forum somewhere indicates that on-line verification is not required. It seems to me that users should be allowed to migrate to this version legally. We are dealing with one of the worlds biggest, richest and most influential corporations and yet every move is frustrated. Any attempt to point to a download point is censored yet no authorized download is provided. mlhifi's 'MnyCoreFiles' solution would be perfect for those with mm2005 already but why not v1105 in total. They have nothing to lose, Sunset is there for anyone to use even if you have never bought a copy. Come on MS do the decent thing. Or doesn't anyone important read this forum?

PS.

I note Dick Watson's helpful comment earlier that 'the least bad answer is to continue to encourage MS users to take precautions'. We aren't going to get anywhere, but ranting is a good release!

CH
    Friday, 18 February 2011 10:54 PM
  • I have Money 2005 and tried upgrading to the Sunset UK version and i now cant access my Money file or even use the back up. I get some message about converting it and when clicking on Next it fails to convert it so I uninstalled Sunset and reinstalled the original version and now I cant even access my Money file in the original version. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how i can get access to my money file please?
    Monday, 19 December 2011 7:03 PM
  • I have Money 2005 and tried upgrading to the Sunset UK version and i now cant access my Money file or even use the back up. I get some message about converting it and when clicking on Next it fails to convert it so I uninstalled Sunset and reinstalled the original version and now I cant even access my Money file in the original version. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how i can get access to my money file please?
    There is not a version called "Sunset UK", but the Money 2005 UK - QFE2 serves that function. Let's presume that is what you installed. If you reinstalled from your original Money 2005 disk, that is not going to work. Instead, again install Money 2005 UK - QFE2. The download link is in the post at the top of the forum list. Copy your existing *.mbf and *.mny files to other media while you are thinking about it. That could save you if something goes wrong. Also check for files named *.m14 or similar files. Such a file may be helpful in getting your version of Money working. Also consider restoring your newest or second-newest backup file (*.mbf).
    Monday, 19 December 2011 7:33 PM
  • Well done MS (finally). I didn't see QFE2 appear in July. I haven't tried it, but assuming it works, creating an 1105 version then great. No need to search the net looking for someone living nearby who has a disk or dare I say a shadier solution to what is an innocent problem.

On a brighter note, nearly a year on and stock quotes still working fine. Just exchange rates to be input manually, unless someone has found a way round?

CH
    Tuesday, 20 December 2011 12:10 AM