none
WHS 2011 Connector Installation Fails on Win 7 Home Premium x64

Question

• Dear all,

I see that this issue has been discussed on a number of other posts, but while as none of those solved my issue, here goes.

I've just finished setting up a new WHS 2011 build and am in the process of transferring all my client machines from the old WHS v1 box.

The first machine (Win7 32-bit) went without a hitch. The second machine (Win7 64-bit) went through to the end of the installation and then just before the end crashed. However I ran the connector software again and it worked fine.

On the third machine (Win7 64-bit) it has failed continuosly, getting annoyingly close to 100% complete before the progress bar marches backwards and then gives the 'oh-so-useful' error of 'The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error. Click Close to undo most of the changes that are made to this computer.

After a little investigation I tried uninstalling (and 'cleaning' up) .NET 4, then re-installing manually and updating with Windows Update. No luck.

I also found that I had 2 'corrupted' scheduled tasks associate with Windows Media Center (DisptachRecoveryTasks and mcupdate_scheduled). I removed these from C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ - also no luck.

From C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs, ClientDeploy.log reports:

[9440] 110808.032927.3767: ClientSetup: Running MSI threw an exception:Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.InstallerException: Fatal error during installation.
       at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.Installer.CheckInstallResult(UInt32 ret)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.Helper.RunMsi(String msiPathOrProductCode, String logFilePath, Dictionary`2 msiProperties, Boolean install, ProgressChangedEventHandler progressHandler)
    [9440] 110808.032927.3767: ClientSetup: RunMsi returned error: RetCode=1603

And if I look into ClientCore.msi.log, I can see:

MSI (s) (AC:1C) [03:28:12:839]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=SetupMcConnector,ActionType=9234,Source=C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\esSetup.exe,Target=**********,)
    CustomAction SetupMcConnector returned actual error code -2147023828 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    MSI (s) (AC:1C) [03:28:51:574]: Note: 1: 1722 2: SetupMcConnector 3: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\esSetup.exe 4: **********
    MSI (s) (AC:1C) [03:28:51:605]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error
    MSI (s) (AC:1C) [03:28:51:621]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1722
    MSI (s) (AC:1C) [03:28:51:637]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error
    MSI (s) (AC:1C) [03:28:51:652]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709
    MSI (s) (AC:1C) [03:28:51:668]: Product: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action SetupMcConnector, location: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\esSetup.exe, command: **********

But I don't think there is a problem with the installer as each time I've downloaded it anew from the server - and it worked on the other machines.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone has on how to get around this problem.

Cheers! Andrew.

Monday, 8 August 2011 1:52 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem :(
    Wednesday, 10 August 2011 6:28 PM
  • I have a very similar problem.  I just rebuilt an x86 Vista Ultimate computer on a brand new HDD.  New O/S install.  Ran all the windows updates (it took over 2 days.  Ugh).  No joy with trying to install the connector software.  I too get to ~95% and then it fails.  And in the ClientCorex86.log file it says that the culprit is esSetup.exe, just as yours does.

I've tried:

• with and without the Windows Media Center receiver and schedule services running
    • before and after launching Windows Media Center for the first time and running its setup process
    • with only IPv4 enabled
    • with only IPv6 enabled
    • with both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled
    • making sure that NetBIOS over IP is set to Enabled (instead of Default).
    • makring sure that no odd DNS suffix was attached to the local computer's IP address
    • Letting the connector software install .Net 4 client and framework
    • Using Windows Update to install and update .Net 4 client and framework
    • Disabling Windows Firewall
    • Disabling MSS AV sw, and then also trying with it uninstalled
    • any other ideas?

A note to Microsoft:

This connector software is what I would call "fragile".  I have struggled over the past month to connect a half-dozen computers to WHS 2011.  Every single one exhibited a connector software installation failure at least once.  Operating systems include Win 7 x64 Pro and Ultimate, Win 7 x86 Pro, Win XP SP3, Win Vista x86 Home Premium SP2, and Win Vista x86 Ultimate SP2.  Some of the problems may have been due to the fact that WHS 2011 is replacing WHS v1 (to which they had all been successfully connected for months!), and they use the same machine name.  I believe that led to corrupt credentials on at least one of the computers.  On another, the problems seem to have been tied to .Net 4.  I can't even remember the specific changes that I made on a per-machine basis that led to success, because there have simply been too many other things tried.  On some I had to make sure that the user folders (e.g. My Documents) were not pointing to the server and instead used local directories.  On some I had to manually delete mapped network drives from the registry, because I was unable to find any other way to get to them.  All of these changes had to be restored after successful connections were made.

Rather than cobbling together several components written by several different teams that work in several different ways - which is what I believe you did when you wrote the WHS Connector software, I suggest re-thinking how that process works.  By putting all of that disparate stuff into a black box, and configuring it so that a failure in any component leads to a failure overall, you have made the probability of success very low.  And because the software uninstalls itself each time, I can't even try running bits of it in a debug mode, or skipping the parts that I don't need or am willing to put off for later.

What's worse, is that I know the developers have a way of running this in a debug mode, or not deleting the installation after a failure, because there are entries in the log that indicate certain flags are set or not.  But I don't have access to that.

At the moment, this software fails to enable me to backup my computer to WHS, because I cannot install the connector.  And that's why I purchased WHS 2011 in the first place.

Tuesday, 30 August 2011 3:14 PM
  • 1/2 the reason I won't recommend 2011 to anyone is the pain/sacrafise that is required to get the connector to install.  Someone said WHS 2011 is the new Vista and I agree, the only problem is we all know W 7 came out and wowed us all.  7 was just a polished Vista, problem is I really doubt we will see a WHS v3.  We will never get that polished interface, we will be left holding Vista(v2) wondering what happened to the wonderful WHS line of products that once was.  Don't get me wrong, 2011 has some great improvements, Vista did as well, but 2011 has failed the home market.
    Tuesday, 30 August 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hey,

Sorry to hear you're in the same boat. I think 'fragile' is the nicest possible way to refer to this Connector software...

In the end I managed to get it to work. It turned out to that I had only stopped the Windows Media Center Receiver Service and not the Windows Media Center Scheduler Service (See the MS KB here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2520547).

From what you tried I might suggest you give a go to installing .NET 4 from the standalone download - rather than Windows Update (and make sure to uninstall using the cleaner: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx - but for me this wasn't really the issue.

Good luck!

Tuesday, 30 August 2011 8:23 PM
  • I would would like to know how many have change the name of the workgroup to something other than workgroup. If I don't change the name everything works if I change the name I can no longer connect.
    Thursday, 13 October 2011 9:40 AM
  • PBW101, your question has no relation to this thread, nor does it to the other thread you posted the same question in. Your answers would be easy to find if you did a forum search.

Further, if you can't change it then how do you know that it works one way and not the other?

Thursday, 13 October 2011 1:25 PM
  • Did all that but still does no succes

i get this error

This is a huge problem

Beside the connector failing, the rest works fine: In the network, I can see my whs server, I can remote desktop to it and I can map its drives

What is wrong? I am not the only person with ths problem: Microsoft do something!

Client machineis running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Saturday, 19 November 2011 9:07 PM
  • Same problem here.  Been trying to install the connector software on the computers of two of my family members in the past week.  No success.  Both are W7 Home Premium x64.

Could this have been created by some recent MS update?  I installed the connector on a different W7 Home Premium x64 computer 5-6 months ago w/ no problems.

Either way, would really like to get this fixed ASAP!

Monday, 21 November 2011 9:20 PM
  • Hey all,

Same problem as described here.  My logs are the same as referenced above.  Any new info?  Microsoft..you should be ashamed.  No actually its beyond ashamed...no MS reply to this thread in almost 3 months?  Im disgusted.

James

• Edited by jnewman33 Monday, 21 November 2011 10:35 PM
    Monday, 21 November 2011 10:17 PM
  • Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.  I had found the wizard you mentioned previously and for me there was no change.  I don't think in my case that it is a communication issues with the server.  It finds the server and interacts with it properly until almost the very end when it starts to roll back the install. 

I have started another thread since I discovered that this problem client can connect to a virtual test server I created.  It appears that the problem I have is server based.  At this time I cannot add any new clients to the existing server. 

Thanks for looking in on this thread.  Do you have any other ideas ?

James

Tuesday, 22 November 2011 3:46 PM
  • PBW101:"I would would like to know how many have change the name of the workgroup to something other than workgroup. If I don't change the name everything works if I change the name I can no longer connect."

Although this might look like to be in the wrong thread PBW101 might actually have spotted a pattern:

I have as well tweaked the workgroup name during the install process of WHS2011 that MS have locked down.

I have three client PCs: 1xW7 64bit, 1xW-Vista 32bit and 1xXP 32 bit. Only the XP client is working without issues. The W7 does not install the home server connector ("another installation is in progress") and the Vista does not complete client backups with spurious errors (although it did backup perfectly under WHS v1).

Are the client connector issues related to renaming the workgroup name of the WHS?

Tuesday, 20 December 2011 9:41 PM
  • Hey all,

Same problem as described here.  My logs are the same as referenced above.  Any new info?  Microsoft..you should be ashamed.  No actually its beyond ashamed...no MS reply to this thread in almost 3 months?  Im disgusted.

James

Agreed. This is a disgrace. Same issue as everyone here on multiple PC's
    Tuesday, 24 January 2012 11:22 PM
  • Client Connector fails at installing the Media Center connector component, a quick workaround is to disable Media Center on your client and install the Client Connector and re-enable the Media Center

Monday, 30 January 2012 3:25 AM
  • From everything I've read on this problem, it seems to be a very common problem and one that doesn't have any real resolution.  It would seem that it's always in the esSetup.exe module, with the SetupMcConnector operation being what fails.  I had this very problem on two different machines--one running Windows 7 x64; the other running Windows Vista x64.

In both cases, the Media Center services were set to disabled; setting them to manual fixed the Windows 7 machine but not the Vista machine.  I see that it's been suggested to disable Windows Media Center.  That's quite a contradictory statement--the resolution was allegedly to enable the services (apparently the setup module doesn't check the service startup mode and adjust it if necessary), but when I enable them it still fails, and so I should disable Media Center.  It still fails.  Same spot, same error.

Since I don't use Media Center anyway, wouldn't it be nice to just skip this part?  The Vista PC needs to be backed up, that's all.  And so I came up with my own solution that worked quite well.  I started up Visual Studio 2010 and created a Console application, and named the project esSetup, so the output would be a file named esSetup.exe.  I modified the code of Program.cs to be this:

public static int Main(String[] args)
    {
    	return 0x0;
    }

For non-developers, what this application does is, when called, just returns 0x0 (success) and exits.  Obviously nothing MC-related will get set up, but in my case I didn't need it.

I compiled this, and then started the Connector installation for the umpteenth time on the Vista machine.  As it progressed along, I kept an eye on the C:\Program Files\Windows Server\bin folder.  As soon as I saw esSetup.exe had been copied there, I replaced it with my modified esSetup.exe.  And then I waited.

Around 50%, the progress bar shot to the end and I was informed the installation was successful!  So it goes to show that the second half of the very slow installation is Media Center stuff--stuff I wasn't going to use.

I ran a backup right after installation, and it succeeded.  So I'm happy.

Monday, 30 January 2012 3:05 PM
  • Matthew,

This worked for me as well. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

I think you do not have to write  a program.

There is a solution for non programmers.
    Create a copy of the program \windows\system32\attrib.exe or just any program that produces a list and does nothing else and name it essetup.exe, let say in \TEMP.

Then copy that to C:\Program Files\Windows Server\bin over the esSetup.exe when it apprears as Matthew says.
    The timing is that esSetup.exe appears just after you filled in all the questions like wake-up for back-up etc. and the colored progress bar mentioned something like Downloading components.

I am now online and a backup has been started.

Bert

• Edited by Bert-van-Es Monday, 6 February 2012 1:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by vsilvalopes Saturday, 3 March 2012 4:05 PM
    Monday, 6 February 2012 1:50 PM
  • Guys, just a repply.

The Bert solution  worked for me.

Tried several times to install the connector whitout sucess on a Windows 7 x64 Professional machine.

Now everything works as usual.

Thanks for the help !

Saturday, 3 March 2012 4:07 PM
  • OK, I can't use the BERT solution, when my connector trys to install, it gets almost to the end with the green bar, then backs up and fails. When it does this all the files and stuff in the program files/windows server folder are removed, including esSetup.exe, so I can't make a fake esSetup.exe and use it, it overwrites every time.

So, maybe disabling Media center would work for me, but exactly how do I do that? I only see one service, and it's related to media center extenders. So is there a simple way to disable Media Center and see if I can get the WHS 2011 connector installed on this computer?

Tom

Thursday, 15 March 2012 11:07 PM
  • Short of starting a new thread, I'm going to post here in hopes there is some solution I can't find.

Short story long. I had this Win 7 64 computer on the WHS 2011 server for a couple months, working fine, backing up, everything working. Suddenly a few days ago I get an alert that the backup service wasn't running on this client. Tried to start it, wouldn't start. Tried everything, searched the web. Recommendation was uninstall and reinstall the connector software. Uninstalled, and that's when the drama started. I cannot now install the connector software. I searched and tried everything I could find. Disabled Media Center on the client, uninstalled all .NET stuff, used the cleanup tool to really uninstall it, reinstalled from downloads, not Windows Update. I have removed this client's account and backups from the server.

I can access the shares on the server and I can remote desktop in to it just fine, it's alive and well on my network, so I haven't changed WORKGROUP to something else or any other network changes. I have 4 other clients, although none are Win 7 64, all others are Win7 32, and they all work and backup fine. 

Really, I have searched here and the web in general. I am JUST short of wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows on this client, but it's got me peeved I can't fix this. I've read, I think, all the forum threads I can find and tried most everything mentioned and whatever I can think of to no avail.

The symptom is, locate the server with http://servername/connect, or running a previously downloaded version of ComputerConnectorblahblahblah.exe, it finds the server, asks for password, green bar starts across, gets to 1/4" from the end, starts back and the warning box pops that an error happened and it wasn't installed. It does setup the backup on the server with nothing in it. I've tried with an account setup on the server first, and without an account first. I've deleted the backup on the server, and tried every imaginable combo of that.

There are 19 log files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs, but I have no clue what to look for or fix. I've seen one or two refs to log files, but no proposed solutions to any of it.

I can't try that essetup.exe solution because the installer backs up and deletes most everything in C:/Program Files/Windows Server/Bin, and as mentioned, I have Windows Media Center disabled.

So.....before I spend two days reinstalling Windows, Office, all that, and go thru the hassles of activation and remembering everything I had installed, AND perhaps still not having it work, is there any actual solution for this anywhere?

Tom

• Edited by thosj Friday, 16 March 2012 2:54 PM
    Friday, 16 March 2012 2:45 PM
  • Hello thosj,

If it's coming to that you may want to dig into those logs. It's not for the faint-hearted, but neither is burning a system down because one thing might not be working. Particularly when there's no gurantee a software rebuild will change the outcome.

Make sure WHS 2011 has the latest updates. A few days ago there was one that might have affected you, or maybe that's a sheer coincidence. There are threads about that in this forum, for example:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3941.troubleshooting-client-deployment.aspx

I'd look in a few specific logs for errors as your client boots up, and then on both the client or server that may appear upon soon after your attempt to install the connector. Windows Application, Security, Setup, and System, and Windows Server Logs can be pretty interesting. Search about any of those and/or post here and maybe you can draw some attention!

At this point, the only log information that appears is in the first post of this thread. Hard to say if you're having the same problem or a different one without those logs. Looking around, it seems there are a number of ways the Connector install can fail. Even a network issue can probably cause it. Those specific error messages can help.

Rich

Rich

• Edited by Rich Irwin Friday, 16 March 2012 11:56 PM
    Friday, 16 March 2012 11:28 PM
  • Well, Rich, I burned 'er down! Not completely, however, just set the BIOS to boot from a different hard drive and reinstalled Win7 64 Pro. I got the connector installed right away and it's still working, so I guess isn't some hardware issue. I can get back if for some reason I want to try to figure it out, but is seems I did all the suggestions and couldn't get it, so I don't know if it's worth it. I did NOT read thru all 19 log files to see if I could deduce it from there, but maybe will reboot from the old drive and have a look just out of curiosity!!

One thing, I haven't installed all the new dotnet4 updates. It almost seemed my problem started when I did that a few days ago. I'll install them one a day, reboot, let it backup each night so I can get back if necessary. Long process, but I don't want to lose it again.

Tom

Saturday, 17 March 2012 3:44 AM
  • This worked perfectly. Thank You!!
    Wednesday, 11 April 2012 2:11 PM
  • OK, here goes....FWIW

I just created a WHS2011 instance and have been trying to install the client on my laptop running Win7 x64 Ultimate, with no luck (getting the error 1603 - unexpected error).

After reading some of the posts here, I went into my Services list and set to MANUAL the following services which had previously been DISABLED:

Media Center Extender Service

Net.Msmq.Listener Adapter

Net.Pipe Listener Adapter

Net.Tcp Listener Adapter

Windows Media Center Receiver Service

Windows Media Center Scheduler Service

I then re-attempted the client connector install and was successful.

I should note that even though I set the services to MANUAL, they were not activated during the install and still remain stopped now that the install was successful.

Hope this will work for other too.

The Doctor

Dr. Technical Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -- Arthur C. Clarke

• Proposed as answer by messineo Friday, 4 May 2012 2:32 AM
    Sunday, 22 April 2012 11:19 PM
  • Bert-van-Es is my new hero. 3am, just the wifes machine to make work, and your 'hack' did the trick.

If I could, I'd buy you a beer :)

Thanks !!!

Tuesday, 24 April 2012 6:52 AM
  • I have the same issue. But more complicated. The backup was working well on this W7x64 Ultimate machine. Couple days ago the client was not recognized by the server and I uninstalled the Connector from the client and was going to re-install it. However this 'unexpected error' start happening and I can't install the Connector anymore. I tried all approches mentioned in previous posts and couldnt't make it work.

Today, I found following error message in the ClientCore.msi.log

MSI (s) (18:80) [20:02:49:605]: Product: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector - Update 'Update Rollup for Microsoft Windows (KB2630445)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\ClientCore.msi.log.

I thought that KB2630445 is for the server, not for the client. I have no clue how to resolve this. Anyone has any idea?

Friday, 27 April 2012 1:31 AM
  • Bert, worked perfectly!  Thank you - so simple.

Wednesday, 2 May 2012 11:52 PM
  • Well Doc, I didn't want to be so bold and change ALL those services so I did them one at a time and the one that did the trick for me is the Net.Tcp Listener Adapter.  My new Win7 Ultimate system already had both Windows Media Center services set to manual and when I also changed the Net.Tcp Listener Adapter to manual, the installation when through without a hitch.  And I have the Media Center integration working.

Thanks!

Tom Richter

Sunday, 13 May 2012 7:55 PM
  • This one worked for me!  Thank you for information.

• Proposed as answer by Briodo Monday, 21 May 2012 11:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Briodo Monday, 21 May 2012 11:05 PM
    Monday, 21 May 2012 11:05 PM
  • Can everyone go to connect.microsoft.com and file a bug report and vote up the bug reports that already exist so that Microsoft will look into this?

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/738015/connector-install-fails-on-win-7-64-bit-after-kb2630445-update-rollup-install-fails#tabs

I don't think Microsoft developers look at these forums so they don't know the problems we are having unless we file a bug in connect.

Thanks

www.justechn.com

Tuesday, 12 June 2012 4:11 PM
  • Perhaps you missed the announcement at

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

"Important Announcement
    We are planning to move Windows Home Server Connect Program to the following site after 6/30/2012: https://connect.microsoft.com/SBS
     The URL will be changed, the connect programs including feedbacks and downloads will not be changed. Please use following site for connect feedbacks now: https://connect.microsoft.com/SBS/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx"

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/738015/connector-install-fails-on-win-7-64-bit-after-kb2630445-update-rollup-install-fails#tabs
    :
    : I don't think Microsoft developers look at these forums so they don't know the problems we are having unless we file a bug in connect.
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    : -- : www.justechn.com
    :

BullDawg
    Tuesday, 12 June 2012 4:43 PM
  • Hi RedFoxTX

I think you can go to Microsoft Connect Site to File a bug and upload your logs. Please check the link below. Microsoft will take a look at this issue.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SBS/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

Tuesday, 7 August 2012 2:24 AM
  • DcDyd and others suffering the WHS 2011 Connector installation failure,

I have been experiencing trouble since I moved all of my programs to a new PC. Connector was not operating correctly after the move and I could neither uninstall or re-install the connector software successfully. Today, I checked out the Microsoft TechNet article (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3941.sbs-2011-troubleshooting-client-deployment-en-us.aspx) mentioned by Rich Irwin above. The article discusses in detail the various connector-related failures (with the associated error messages) and solutions for each type of error. In event viewer and the ClientCore.msi.log created during the attempted installation, I was able to determine that my attempted re-installations were throwing Error Code 1722, which is the Windows Media Center failure which many have encountered. I followed the instructions to edit the registry and then attempted to re-install the connector for the umpteenth time. On this occasion, it finally succeeded!

The fix was much simpler than many of the solutions suggested above (all of which I tried without any success). I suggest that if you are having trouble installing or re-installing the WHS 2011 connector on a client computer that you see if your error is discussed in the article and if there is a solution proposed for it.

HTH

• Edited by JPGW2QQ Tuesday, 21 August 2012 3:30 AM
    Tuesday, 21 August 2012 3:24 AM
  • Here is an update on my experience. I reported in April that I can't install the Connector software due to the famous error. In May, because of other issues associated with my laptop, I re-installed Win7x64 as well as the Connector. Everything went OK.

Sometime in August, I went on a trip for about a month and during the trip I installed 'Hide my IP' as well as other applications I need to use. After I got back home everything was still OK. Then sometime in Sepetember, a new Connector update was effective and it tries to install itself automatically on my laptop with Win7x64 without sucessful. I noticed notification on the system tray and tried manually install and I got the famous error reported here by everyone.

I then tried to uninstall most software and tried re-install Connector.  After I uninstalled 'Hide my IP', the Connector can be installed sucessfully. I have no idea why 'Hide my IP' has this effect to the Connector software.

By the way, with 'Hide my IP' installed iTunes doesn't work correctly either even 'Hide my IP' is not started.   

This is just my experience and your case could be different.

Wednesday, 12 September 2012 2:42 PM
  • I have the same issue. But more complicated. The backup was working well on this W7x64 Ultimate machine. Couple days ago the client was not recognized by the server and I uninstalled the Connector from the client and was going to re-install it. However this 'unexpected error' start happening and I can't install the Connector anymore. I tried all approches mentioned in previous posts and couldnt't make it work.

Today, I found following error message in the ClientCore.msi.log

MSI (s) (18:80) [20:02:49:605]: Product: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector - Update 'Update Rollup for Microsoft Windows (KB2630445)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\ClientCore.msi.log.

I thought that KB2630445 is for the server, not for the client. I have no clue how to resolve this. Anyone has any idea?

Well, after figgin' hours (actually days!) of troubleshooting and non productive analayis I can say that I have precisely the same problem as above.  I also have no clue.  Here is what I found in the subject log file:

Update 'Update Rollup for Microsoft Windows (KB2705129)' could not be installed. Error code 1603

This is my 3rd complete install of WHS 2011 and I still am not getting value.  (see other posts for the painful details) After 2 months I'm still just burning cycles and cycles and cycles.

Now it's my dekstop client, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, attached by wire, that won't back up with a WHS 2011 Dashboard and Launch Pad that won't run after it HAD worked for several days.  (Two other client computers, including a wirelessly attached laptop do workj and back up quite well BTW.)  Worse, I rebuilt the desktop client PC just so that it would work harmoniously with WHS 2011. Like I said, cycles and cycles.  Man, am I frustrated!

I have done the following to recover when the launch pad and dashboard stopped working on the client desktop PC.  First I uninstalled the existing desktop PC client connector s/w.  Then I went into Services.msc on by client PC and set to MANUAL the following services which had previously been DISABLED:

1. Media Center Extender Service
    2. Net.Msmq.Listener Adapter
    3. Net.Pipe Listener Adapter
    4. Net.Tcp Listener Adapter
    5. Windows Media Center Receiver Service
    6. Windows Media Center Scheduler Service

All of above covered in other posts.  I rebooted at this point.  Then re-attempted the client connector install hat had already failed several times.  Now I get to the 95% point... farther than before at least.  But then the install fails and rolls back.

I should add that I had previously gotten a WHS alert that an "important update" was needed to be installed on the desktop client PC.  Trouble is, Windows Update doesn't find it whilst at the very same time the connectivity from deskop PC to WHS have gone down the shoot.  <Did I say I'm frustrated?>

Can I install the CLIENT side update manually?  Does anybody know where do I get it?

Rodger

PS (reason for edit), I forgot to list one more thing I did, the first thing on the list above.  I'v e copied the instructions from the MS post at: MS Connector troubleshooting post

On the client computers, run regedit to open the registry key, (note: if the client is a 64bit client, make sure you run the regedit 32bit version, which could be found under %systemroot%\syswow64\regedit.exe)

• Find the registry key named "Ident" under "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center"
      • Backup the registry value.
      • Delete the registry key "Ident" in step 2 from "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center".
      • Run client connector installation.
      • After the connector installaion succeed, add back the registry key named "Ident" ( string ) to "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center" and restore the value you saved in step 3.
    Saturday, 15 September 2012 4:09 AM
  • The problem with my dekstop PC client occurred FOLLOWING the announcement.  In fact the "rollop" described in the announcement appears to be the precise SOURCE of the problem.
    Saturday, 15 September 2012 4:15 AM
  • The problem with my dekstop PC client occurred FOLLOWING the announcement.  In fact the "rollop" described in the announcement appears to be the precise SOURCE of the problem.

Hi,

I have the exact problem. Connector worked OK before UR3 and now it refuses to load. I uninstalled the connector, rebooted and reinstalled it from http://server/connect and it gets so far then backs out with error. 

I've tried all the various fixes on the net to no avail.

Please can someone fix UR3 and the KB2705129 problem.

John

Wednesday, 26 September 2012 5:03 PM
  • Matthew and Bert,

Thank you both!

I had given up on using Windows Home Server 2011 with Windows 7-64.  Stumbled across this thread and now have all my home machines working again. (I've used WHS since it first appeared, upgrading even with the changes to the drive situation, and other things.)

Has there been any fallout for short-circuiting the installation program?

Friday, 12 October 2012 3:02 AM
  • Bert,

Thank you that's brilliant your solution has worked for me!

My only concern (being non technical) is, does not having the correct esSetup.exe file in C:\Program Files\Windows Server\bin mess anything else up? It must have been there for a reason!

I realise it has meant the connection software is now installed, but can I expect some other error at a later date?

Simon

Wednesday, 31 October 2012 9:31 PM
  • I would like to add what my solution was last night when I ran into this very situation.  I will provide as much background as possible because I think to some degree what you do prior can impact downstream events.

I have had WHS 2011 running now for well over a year think it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I have 3 laptops, a server and a single desktop all connected and the remote desktop is brilliant, I run several websites with ease and also use the server to host my home security and baby room cameras. 

I decided over the weekend to up my RAM to 8 GB in the desktop as I decided to add an additional duty for the desktop and use it as a WHOLE HOME PVR.  Put the RAM in and noticed only 3GB, dam, 32 bit, I got my hands on the 64bit equivalent which was my evening project.  All went well until the last step, running server connect scripts.

Symptoms were identical to what many of you had experienced, within about 2 mm of completion and then the progress bar backtracking.

I believe my first mistake was having another installation trying to run in parallel.  I started the “connect” and while I was doing that I decided to check if there were other updates ready, well there were and they downloaded and began installation, well when the “connect” feature tried it realized  something else was running, coughed and died. This is where my troubles began.

I tried most of the suggestions including ensuring all updates were up-to-date, tried reinstalling .net, ensured the failed computer was removed from the server, the WMC services set to manual and then I saw Bert’s Suggestion and also noted another comment about changing the name of the computer.  When I performed the reinstall I had named the computer the same as prior.  Could this have any bearing on my issues, is there something being held onto within the server itself?

After 2.5 hours I was ready to toss in the towel and decided to try one more series of changes.

1. Use Bert’s suggestion and created the dummy exe to copy into the bin directory
    2. I changed the computer name
    3. I removed the existing failed installation off the server
    4. I restarted the server
    5. I restarted the desktop
    6. NOTE: the bin folder that Bert notes was a number of files with a datestamp from my original corrupted installation…I deleted ALL of them
    7. Ensured there were no updates waiting
    8. I removed AVAST completely (I had previously just shut it down)
    9. I ensured the name of the computer matched the name I provided in the descriptoion (note even after I changed the name of the comp when I reran the script, the previous comp name was still in there, caching?)

Restart run the server connect scripts and ,BAM, success.  I’m not 100% sure which one of the items  above did the trick but it worked.  Hope this helps someone out.

Cheers to all and Merry Christmas.

RobbieD

Thursday, 6 December 2012 2:32 PM