Tuesday, 22 May 2012 8:08 PM
I am using Project 2010 standard and have created a plan from scratch (not converted, not a template) and connected it to a resource pool. After assigning half of the tasks, I saved/closed the plan. When I opened it again, all of the assignments were there and I continued working in the file for another 1+ hour, finishing the assignments.
I closed the plan first and as I was closing the pool, I noticed some of the resources I had just assigned to tasks in my plan had 0 hours in the pool. I reopened the project plan and found all of the resource assignments gone and the entire 'resource name' column on the gantt chart view blank.
This isn't the first time this has occurred, but previously it seemed to only happen to files that had been converted from a previous version of Project (2003).
How do I fix it?
How do I stop it from happening again?
Tuesday, 22 May 2012 8:25 PMShelleyb, First make sure you have SP-1 installed for Project 2010. If not, you can download it at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587. If you already have SP-1 installed, it's possible your file and/or the pool is corrupt. Like dynamic master files, pool/sharer files can become corrupt if good file discipline is not followed. Some of the things to avoid are: do not rename, move, or "save off" either file to a backup location. It is also best if both the pool and sharer file are in the same folder on a local drive. It does work if both are in the same folder on a remote server but communicating with the server is subject to glitches and that can ruin you day. John
Tuesday, 22 May 2012 8:34 PM
Thanks for your reply, John.
I do have SP1 installed and all files are in the same folder on a shared drive with a limited amount of users that have access to it. Only one copy exists and the pool has the correct path for this plan.
There are currently 4 other files connected to this pool, none of which are having this issue.
Is there anything else you can think of that I can check?
Tuesday, 22 May 2012 8:55 PM
The fact that only one file has a problem provides even stronger evidence that the structure is corrupt. You will need to break the problem file away from the pool file by switching to use its own resources. Then Save As to the same name both the problem file and the pool file. Then I suggest you save the problem file to XML and re-open. Hopefully that will clear corruption. Finally re-establish the link with the resource pool. Hopefully that will work. If not, you may need to re-build the full structure.
My guess is that a glitch over the network occurred when one of the users had the problem file open for editing. That could have caused the corruption.
- Marked As Answer by Mike GlenModerator Tuesday, 17 July 2012 8:31 PM
Tuesday, 22 May 2012 9:03 PMThanks, John. I'll try this and let you know how I get on