none
Re: Known issues of windows 8 client connecting to Windows Home Server V1

Question

• Ning Kuang,

I had no problems with either the Connector installing or accessing shared
    folders with the Windows Live account.  I had to provide credentials
    (user/password) on first attempt at Shared Folders, similar to that of a RDP
    Connection.  After that, no problem with access.  However, I do get a popup
    from the notification area icon stating the user name and passwords on v1
    and Win 8 (x64) do not match.   My Win 8 password and v1 password are the
    same, but it still states they do not match.  When I run the password match
    wizard, if I select the v1 password, the wizard completes, but the popup
    comes back.  If I tell it to select the Win 8 (Live Account) password, the
    wizard errors out.  I will try the work around mentioned in the Wiki to
    attempt to get the popup from returning when I do a new clean install of Win
    8 as I have about trashed the current install trying things out.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Please see this wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8497.known-issues-of-windows-8-client-connecting-to-windows-home-server-v1.aspx

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows HSBS
    Program Manager

BullDawg
    Friday, 23 March, 2012 1:01 PM

All replies

• Broken link by Ning Kuang.     Please correct.
    Sunday, 2 September, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Whatever the problem was at the time connecting W8 clients, it was probably fixed in UR3.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/8626fd0a-5c65-4247-b8b4-a011051779e9

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, 2 September, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Phil,

How do you install UR3 on WHS v1?  :)

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Whatever the problem was at the time connecting W8 clients, it was probably fixed in UR3.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/8626fd0a-5c65-4247-b8b4-a011051779e9

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

BullDawg
    Monday, 3 September, 2012 4:33 AM
  • OOps. I had forgotten that anyone still uses that old system!

Monday, 3 September, 2012 12:06 PM
  • I can confirm, that I see no issues in context of backup and share access between Windows 8 RTM and Windows Home Server v.1 using a local account scenario.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, 4 September, 2012 10:28 AM
  • I can confirm, that I see no issues in context of backup and share access between Windows 8 RTM and Windows Home Server v.1 using a local account scenario.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Do you use windows messenger user account or a local account?
    • Edited by cga_ie Saturday, 27 October, 2012 1:29 PM chnage
    Saturday, 27 October, 2012 1:29 PM
  • I just installed windows 8

I installed WHS version connector and I keep getting to update the password

If I go for Keep my password on the home server I get "The system isnot authoritative for the specified account and therefore can not complete the operation.  Please retry the operation using the provider associated with this account. If this an online account please use the provider's" (see screenshot)

If I go for keep password on this computer I get your password in windows server is changed but still I get the change password and I can't open the share folders

How can I fixed this?  Wonder if I need a local account instead of messenger user account

Saturday, 27 October, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Got it to work with a local user
    Saturday, 27 October, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Got it to work with a local user

I had the same problem but now the console is stating that my Norton AV and Firewall is turned off when it is not. So I have had to check the ignore boxes in the console.

I have also got a new purchased copy of WHS2011 while it was going cheap, but have not used it yet as it does not support streaming to my Netgear EVA8000HD media player and I have just now recently found out the hard way that neither V1 or 2011 support Bare Metal Restores to my new PC with UEFI/GPT technology. Although V1 does back up OK, so my data is easily retrievable, which is one problem solved. I am eagerly awaiting the claimed update for 2011 support with UEFI/GPT then I will change to that and buy Stablebit Drive Pool and another streamer. 

I have tried the Server 2012 Essentials Preview and it works perfectly but is a little more complicated, but I cannot justify the cost as it is far too expensive for home use and I would still need to purchase a new streamer on top of that.

Colin

• Edited by wecpcs Monday, 29 October, 2012 10:41 PM
    Monday, 29 October, 2012 10:25 PM
  • Hi BullDawg,

I guess I am less Lucky than you were getting the Connector installed ion win 8 to connect to WHS v1. I am getting an error when installing. See my post here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/9ae7d933-ae8e-4e9d-81b4-23299480fb84/?prof=required

Any tips are welcome. Thanx in advance.

Luc van Vugt, Imtech ICT Never Stop Learning

Thursday, 24 January, 2013 7:45 PM