Thursday, 23 July, 2009 10:38 PMI am running W7RC 32bit and have not been able to get the tv archive working when I select the compressed copy option. Not one TV recording has compressed. I get a few different error messages in the "Archive Failed" log, but by far the most common is "COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used." I've also got several "The file was not compressed due to an unknown failure" and a few "The system cannot find the file the file specified. (Expception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)".
If I just select to move to the sever but not compress, it seems to work ok.
I have a pretty clean system as it's just for media center use. It has AnyDVDHD and PowerDVD 9 installed, in case that's relevant.
Does anyone have any suggested solutions for me, or is this likely to be a bug?
Friday, 24 July, 2009 3:52 PMModeratorTo be honest, it's probably an issue with your client system. It could be a result of installing AnyDVD HD or PowerDVD, I suppose, but I don't entirely buy that.However, filing a bug report certainly won't hurt.
I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
- Marked As Answer by Jonas Svensson -FST-Microsoft Employee, Owner Saturday, 25 July, 2009 9:04 PM
Sunday, 26 July, 2009 5:11 AM
Well I'm going to do a clean of install of W7 RTM in a couple of weeks once it's available on TechNet, so I'll keep the system completely clean and see what happens then. Any suggestions for what could be causing client end issues? I'm guessing a possible cause is CODEC issues, but the only additional/different ones would be from PowerDVD. I will hold off on the bug report until I try RTM. I assume the compression is done on the client rather than the server? Could the system be going to sleep during the compression and causing errors?
I'm not sure if it's a related issue, but 2 recordings did get compressed versions created, though both with the same issues: no audio, incorrect aspect ratio (vertically squashed) and reduced resolution (the original 1080i was compressed as 1280x720). The original broadcasts were 1080i DVB-T, and I selected the compression option for TV, which said it should be original resolution.
Sunday, 26 July, 2009 8:25 AMModerator
Well I'm going to do a clean of install of W7 RTM in a couple of weeks once it's available on TechNet, so I'll keep the system completely clean and see what happens then. Any suggestions for what could be causing client end issues? I'm guessing a possible cause is CODEC issues, but the only additional/different ones would be from PowerDVD. ....
You could try the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility to see what codecs are installed and active. I know it officially only supports XP but the .exe runs here on Win7and it reports the "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder" as beeing installed and active.
Warning: As this utility was not designed for Windows 7, do not use any of the options given to change the codec settings!
No home server like Home Server
Saturday, 12 September, 2009 12:52 PM
As an update, I have just installed W7 32Bit RTM on my Media Center, and am still having problems on the sample TV recordings I've done so far. No PowerDVD installed yet, so it's definitely not that, though I have installed AnyDVDHD. I will check Connect and submit a bug report if there isn't already one there.
I got an error in the archive history about no AC3 decoder being installed, and those recordings won't compress, but I seem to remember reading about someone else having that one.
I can get some files to compress, but they have no audio and are in the incorrect aspect ratio (shrunk vertically when they were originally proper 16:9). I notice that the compressed WMVs are 30fps (from the properties dialog), though being Australian DVB-T I think the original recordings should be in 25fps. This may be part of the issue.
I'm open to any hints people may have!