Wednesday, 13 April, 2011 11:35 PM
This has been touched elsewhere, but all the posts are old so I will post again.
The quick overview is that I am trying to set up WHS-2011 RTM (April 2011) release for remote access. My firewall is set up correctly as it was set up for my old version of WHS and worked fine. I can remotely access the system, but I cannot do remote desktop because I do not have a cert. Unfortunately, a cert from godaddy is $50/year, so I decided to just get a Microsoft domain name. I created a new Windows Live ID (hotmail ID does not work), and replied from the email stating it was really me. For the last several hours I have been trying to get a Microsoft domain name, but I get the same error every time, "An error occurred while setting up your domain name. The domain name was not set up for your server. Wait a few minutes and run the wizard again. An unexpected or unknown problem occurred. Please wait a few minutes, and then try again." I get this over an over for several hours. An older post said that this issue was fixed, but obviously not. Does anyone know how to either fix this problem, or, provide a cert that does not cost $50 a year?
Any help would be appreciated!
Sunday, 17 April, 2011 7:05 PM
I have the exact same problem. I also did not have any issue with remote access setup in WHS v1. A few weeks ago, I set up WHS-2011 RTM on a virtual computer and could never get remote access set up. Then, yesterday, aftering building a completely new computer just for WHS and installing WHS-2011 RTM, I ran into the exact same issue trying to set up remote access. I was hoping it was just an issue with my virtual machine... But apparently not.
Setting up the router (D-Link DIR-855) is no issue but I cannot set up the domain name. I tried using my WHS v1 Microsoft Domain name, my Go-Daddy registered domain name, AND a new Microsoft domain. They all fail every single time. Tyring to set up a Microsoft domain name always results in an error that my Windows Live ID or password is not correct (but I'm 100% sure it is correct). I have no problems logging into Windows Live directly but it NEVER works during the domain name setup process in WHS-2011. To make matters worse, I even decided reluctantly to spend the $50 to purchase an SSL certificate for my Go-Daddy domain name and I cannot get that domain name to work either -- with or without the SSL certificate. I'm totally lost and frustrated. At least it's good to know that I am not alone with this problem. I can't believe more people aren't having this problem. Have you found a solution yet? I reported this as a bug on Microsoft Connect but haven't heard a work from them.
Denis W. Repke
Monday, 18 April, 2011 3:31 AM
Alright, I got it to work. Indeed we have the same exact configuration issue. My WHS v1 worked fine. Unfortunately, I made two separate changes at the same time, so I have no idea which one fixed this issue. Please let me know if this works for you.
When I signed up for my new Windows Live (WL) account I received an email that stated I needed to reply to enable the account I clicked on the link and enabled (activated) the WL account. A while later I logged into the account and was told that the account was not activated. At this time I requested another activation email, clicked on the link in the email, and the activation notice went away. Second, the password I used was too simple. I changed it to a complex password and then tried again. This time it worked. I don't know if the account was not active or if my password was not complex enough, but after activating the account twice and making the password complex, everything worked first try. I don't know if either of those apply to you and I have no idea why I had to ask for a second email to activate as I know I activated the first time.
I hope this helps you.
- Marked As Answer by Marty42 Monday, 18 April, 2011 3:32 AM
Monday, 25 April, 2011 2:21 AM
Having the same problem. Remote Access says it doesn't work becasue domain name is not set up and domain name set up errors out every single time for personalized MS domain name. I have 2 tried both no joy.
The router is configured correctly. RDP and remote dashboard work. Only remote access via domain name fails.
Friday, 29 April, 2011 5:48 AMStrangely enough it was my time being off that caused this. You will want to check your time settings and run a synchronization manually. If this does not work you can click the "Get more time zone information online" link, it will take you to a Microsoft support site where you can run the automated fix-it for this problem.
- Proposed As Answer by DodecaDigm Friday, 29 April, 2011 5:57 AM
Friday, 29 April, 2011 11:16 PMThat was definitely not my issue, but maybe it will help others. Thank you for your response.
Tuesday, 24 May, 2011 4:58 AM
Here's what solved this issue for me:
Whenever I tried a domain registration Event Viewer showed Windows Live Sign-in Assistant as the module that was throwing errors.
So I decided to uninstall Windows Live Sign-in Assistant. And then I downloaded and installed it again from here:
Note: It will then appear as Windows Live Essentials 2011 in Control Panel Programs List.
Run Windows Update to get the latest version. Tried domain registration again and it worked.