Restore file, Recycle Bin???

Question

• This suggestion includes some sort of delete protection.... I deleted some files on the shared folder and they are gone for good... very sad moment for me.

It would be really ideal if the deleted files ended up in the Recycle Bin. So that they could be restored in case of accidental deletion.

Is there a way to undelete? This is without folder duplication.

What does everybody else think?

There is a suggestion request here:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=260939
    Monday, March 19, 2007 7:38 PM

Answers

• Honestly, this is standard behavior on just about every server.

And in the case of WHS, there is a way to recover a file. WHS takes a "shadow copy" of it's shares every 12 hours. You can restore files by right clicking on a folder within the share, selecting Properties, then the Previous Versions tab. On that tab, you'll have the ability to view previous versions of folders and files.

Have fun!
    Monday, March 19, 2007 11:31 PM

All replies

• I agree but this is a beta and mishaps are the nature of the beta beast, you probably shouldn't copy anything to the server that you don't have backed up in one form or another.

Ok now that that is out of the way.

recycle bin would be nice, or better yet something akin to restore points for the share. This might I suspect take up too much space on the drives, but if the capacity is available, it would be nice.

backup backup backup especially in beta

Monday, March 19, 2007 8:49 PM
  • Honestly, this is standard behavior on just about every server.

And in the case of WHS, there is a way to recover a file. WHS takes a "shadow copy" of it's shares every 12 hours. You can restore files by right clicking on a folder within the share, selecting Properties, then the Previous Versions tab. On that tab, you'll have the ability to view previous versions of folders and files.

Have fun!
    Monday, March 19, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Practically speaking that is a nice feature.  But WHS is marketed toward the home user.  Home users have families and kids, so a second safeguard is really ideal.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Ken, I understand that, but like Shack said, imho you need to look at from an "I don;t know how to restore" user. Therefore an easier solution, like a server based recycle bin, could be used instead.

Paul

PS: Vote here if you agree (or don't): https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/Vote.aspx?FeedbackID=260939

Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:44 PM
  •  

I couldn't agree more with this suggestion. There should be some sort of easy-to-use (of course!) undelete feature.

If there isn't such a feature, then here's the irony (unless I'm missing something): *all* files are actually *better* protected by *not* storing them on WHS. They are better of being stored on individual PCs that are part of the backup to WHS regime. This is of course because files on individual PCs are being backed up, whereas files on WHS are not (so well - see below). Delete a file from the PC - no problem, restore from a WHS backup. Delete a file from WHS - not so easy.

Without an easy/simple server-based recycle bin or equivalent, WHS is less attractive as a file server, surely?

Or am I missing something?? :-)

Ken Warren made the following valid point in this thread, which admittedly, goes part way to easing this problem:

"And in the case of WHS, there is a way to recover a file. WHS takes a "shadow copy" of it's shares every 12 hours. You can restore files by right clicking on a folder within the share, selecting Properties, then the Previous Versions tab. On that tab, you'll have the ability to view previous versions of folders and files."

My questions/responses:

1. How do I increase the number of shadow copies that are kept? It looks like the default is 7 (days).

2. This is OK for folders within a share, but how about the *entire* shared folder? Of course it does't work on a shortcut from one of my PCs, so when I try this after logging in directly to WHS via RDC, I get the error message "Cannot copy anna1: invalid file handle".

Thanks for reading/listening! :-)

Sunday, July 29, 2007 12:48 PM
  •  namecaps wrote:
    1. How do I increase the number of shadow copies that are kept? It looks like the default is 7 (days).

2. This is OK for folders within a share, but how about the *entire* shared folder? Of course it does't work on a shortcut from one of my PCs, so when I try this after logging in directly to WHS via RDC, I get the error message "Cannot copy anna1: invalid file handle".

For point 1, I suspect you don't. WHS doesn't use the Volume Shadow Copy Service schedule (which defaults to Mon-Fri at 7:00 AM), and I don't believe it uses the disk quota associated with the service either. It's probably buried somewhere within the WHS configuration, so realistically you probably can't change it. For your second point, when I right click a shortcut to a share (on a PC on my network or on WHS via RD) I can look at the entire contents of the selected share. So I think you have a different problem, as it does work with shortcuts to the shares.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:20 PM