none
How many computers can I install one copy of Windows XP Home Edition on?

Answers

• SmittenKitten,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I would like to provide some information which may help. There are two types of licenses for XP that consumers will encounter, retail (aka full packaged product), and OEM (original equipment manufacturer).

Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer.

OEM licenses for XP are tied to the first computer onto which they are installed and the license is not permitted to be moved on any other computer.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is really just a collection of parts, Microsoft has established that the motherboard is the base or "defining" component, and the OEM license is permanently tied to the motherboard.

There is one exception, the case of a defective motherboard.  If a motherboard becomes defective, you are of course permitted to change it and reinstall your OEM XP license to it. One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized.

Note that if the computer owner decides to replace the motherboard for performance reasons or to add features or new technology, the defective exception is NOT applicable and a new license for XP is required to be purchased."  a clean installation destroys all data on the hard disk, be sure to back up any valuable email, pix, docs, music, etc that you cannot afford to lose.

I hope this serves you well.

Respectfully,

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Friday, August 22, 2008 8:42 PM
    Friday, August 22, 2008 8:36 PM

All replies

• SmittenKitten,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I would like to provide some information which may help. There are two types of licenses for XP that consumers will encounter, retail (aka full packaged product), and OEM (original equipment manufacturer).

Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer.

OEM licenses for XP are tied to the first computer onto which they are installed and the license is not permitted to be moved on any other computer.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is really just a collection of parts, Microsoft has established that the motherboard is the base or "defining" component, and the OEM license is permanently tied to the motherboard.

There is one exception, the case of a defective motherboard.  If a motherboard becomes defective, you are of course permitted to change it and reinstall your OEM XP license to it. One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized.

Note that if the computer owner decides to replace the motherboard for performance reasons or to add features or new technology, the defective exception is NOT applicable and a new license for XP is required to be purchased."  a clean installation destroys all data on the hard disk, be sure to back up any valuable email, pix, docs, music, etc that you cannot afford to lose.

I hope this serves you well.

Respectfully,

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Friday, August 22, 2008 8:42 PM
    Friday, August 22, 2008 8:36 PM
  • I'm sorry my question is off topic.  Please feel free to move or delete it or whatever.

I personaly have no idea what a (WGA) program is nor am I real sure I even want
    to continue using microsofts products.  I've had nothing but problems with all of them
    from day 1 and have never been able to get support from them or for products I have
    bought from them.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 8:55 PM
  • SmittenKitten,

Thank you again for your reply. 

Windows XP Home Edition can only be installed on one computer.

Best wishes,

Rick, MS
    Friday, August 22, 2008 9:18 PM
  • One, question, I was wondering how the computer repair stores can clean the computers and install the windows operating system again many times???

Thank you for your help. :)

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:02 PM
  • "Auditt11" wrote in message news:81e48e42-cb6a-4ce7-9c42-8cd3f75d2e3a...

One, question, I was wondering how the computer repair stores can clean the computers and install the windows operating system again many times???

Thank you for your help. :)

Because they *should* be using the correct reinstallation media - or the keys from your installation.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:26 PM