none
I have tried searching for "The File Cannot be Accessed by the System"

Question

• I don't know if the fourm search not working or what, I tried so if thei has been asked already I apologize.

Yesterday out of nowhere I suddenly can't access any of the files in the shared folders. ie;  D:\shares\Software\SysinternalsSuite I get a popup saying The file cannot be accessed by the system if I try to run or copy a file in the mail folder. In other words I can drill down to the folders but can't do anything with the comtent in the folders. This happens both in the remote connect tool or just drilling down in explorer.

Any Suggestions?

Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:50 PM

Answers

•  breadtrk wrote:
    I was using the console when I noticed the problem, then hooked up a keyboard and mouse to see if it was the same. With the console, windows explorer across the network, or windows explorer directly on the home server box all give the cannot access the file error. I understand the concept of headless but sometimes you have to put the head back on while troubleshooting. I can get to every other file and folder on the HS thru the console, just not the shared folders. Well I get into the shared folder but can't do anything with the files inside the shared folders.
    The Connect bug can be found here.

Also, this thread may give you some pointers on how to recover from this situation. You may wind up having to delete the files, though.
    Sunday, April 01, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Take a look at this KnowledgeBase article. These are the errors you're experiencing, right? I doubt that the solution proposed there will work for you, but I'm pretty sure that the issue it discusses is the same. I think you're right to reformat; it's quite possibly either that or wait until another beta release (or RC1) comes around.

Regarding the Connect feedback item #259623, what I think most people are seeing is a bug report titled:

bad files on shared folders -- all file system attributes OK, server thinks all is healthy, but 'file not found' on access from client or local

I take it that you're seeing something else? I would suggest you clear your browser cache...
    Monday, April 02, 2007 2:12 AM
  • Did you try rebooting the server? Many times rebooting clears stuck buffers and resolves some of the adamant problems on site.

As you felt, Microsoft should indicate immediate / temporary solution for such problems once they are fixed. If it is fixed they know what caused it. I don't know why a beta is not updated like the regular ones. Probably fearing that the beta becoms RTM.

ThanQ...

Monday, April 02, 2007 3:22 AM
  • Do a bug report and include the talq logs.  Add them to the link Ken Warren posted earlier. Pretty sure this has been resolved, but it's nice to have extra information just incase it hasn't.
    Monday, April 02, 2007 10:22 PM

All replies

• How are you trying to access the files, exactly? If you're using explorer directly on the WHS, rather than going through the network shares (i.e. \\server\Software), then all I can really say is that the warning that displays every time you log in using Remote Desktop is there for a reason. WHS is intended to be a "headless" appliance on your network, not another workstation that you log directly in to.

For day to day use, there really should be little reason to log in to the desktop on WHS directly. Just about everything I want to do as a user can be done through the network shares, or through the console. I do use the desktop for purposes of identifying issues and installing a couple of diagnostic tools, but I really haven't had much need otherwise.
    Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:43 AM
  • breadtrk does the problem you have encountered resemble the 259623 feedback id? It looks like the issue you have mentioned has been identified and fixed, but it is best if you take a look.
    Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:52 AM
  • I was using the console when I noticed the problem, then hooked up a keyboard and mouse to see if it was the same.  With the console, windows explorer across the network, or windows explorer directly on the home server box all give the cannot access the file error. I understand the concept of headless but sometimes you have to put the head back on while troubleshooting. I can get to every other file and folder on the HS thru the console, just not the shared folders. Well I get into the shared folder but can't do anything with the files inside the shared folders.
    Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:02 AM
  • Lyme are you sure that is a valid number? It leads me to something about batteries.
    Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:05 AM
  •  breadtrk wrote:
    I was using the console when I noticed the problem, then hooked up a keyboard and mouse to see if it was the same. With the console, windows explorer across the network, or windows explorer directly on the home server box all give the cannot access the file error. I understand the concept of headless but sometimes you have to put the head back on while troubleshooting. I can get to every other file and folder on the HS thru the console, just not the shared folders. Well I get into the shared folder but can't do anything with the files inside the shared folders.
    The Connect bug can be found here.

Also, this thread may give you some pointers on how to recover from this situation. You may wind up having to delete the files, though.
    Sunday, April 01, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Maybe I am missing something; so far none of the replies even remotely resembles what I have posted.

The 259623 feedback id leads to something about laptop batteries. Who would try to use a laptop as WHS?

I am not getting Invalid file errors. Windows finds the files just fine; it denies me access to them.

I said in my first post that I get the error no matter how I try to access the files, with the connector tool, windows explorer from a network machine or even on the WHS machine.

I am doing an upgrade install to see what happens. I realize I may lose files; I only copied files from other machines onto WHS so I still have everything anyway. Only a novice would trust beta software without having the files somewhere else.

Monday, April 02, 2007 12:49 AM
  • No change at all after an Upgrade install. Guess it is time to format.
    Monday, April 02, 2007 1:19 AM
  • Take a look at this KnowledgeBase article. These are the errors you're experiencing, right? I doubt that the solution proposed there will work for you, but I'm pretty sure that the issue it discusses is the same. I think you're right to reformat; it's quite possibly either that or wait until another beta release (or RC1) comes around.

Regarding the Connect feedback item #259623, what I think most people are seeing is a bug report titled:

bad files on shared folders -- all file system attributes OK, server thinks all is healthy, but 'file not found' on access from client or local

I take it that you're seeing something else? I would suggest you clear your browser cache...
    Monday, April 02, 2007 2:12 AM
  • Did you try rebooting the server? Many times rebooting clears stuck buffers and resolves some of the adamant problems on site.

As you felt, Microsoft should indicate immediate / temporary solution for such problems once they are fixed. If it is fixed they know what caused it. I don't know why a beta is not updated like the regular ones. Probably fearing that the beta becoms RTM.

ThanQ...

Monday, April 02, 2007 3:22 AM
  • Do a bug report and include the talq logs.  Add them to the link Ken Warren posted earlier. Pretty sure this has been resolved, but it's nice to have extra information just incase it hasn't.
    Monday, April 02, 2007 10:22 PM
  • Reformat did the trick but the more I think about this .......

First, I really don't see a market for this. WMCE does everything this does and more, hell, even most external hard drives do automatic backups.

2nd, anyone geeky enough to need a home network already knows how to map drives and share folders.

3rd, a real home server should be capable of protecting the network, not just be a file server.

4th, My old 750 Duron box running free version of ClarkConnect has about 1000 times more value to me (or any homeowner looking for some newfangled home server) than this.

Good luck MS, hope you sell tons of these so I can put another kid thru college like ME did.

Come on  guys, sell me on this idea. Make me want this.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 5:37 AM