copy must be activated before logon, click yes, then immediately back to logon prompt

Question

• Hi,

I am a computer reseller.  I have a client who attempted repair of his computer, then gave it to me to clean up.

He said he was prompted for his XP disk, but couldn't find it so he used a different one.  I presume it was during a repair.  I'm sure he originally had an XP Pro OEM installation, but I'm not sure if it was an SP1 or SP2.  His COA says OEM software.

Each time I try to log in, I get a window saying this copy of windows has to be activated before you can log in, do you want to activate now?  I choose Yes, then end up back at the login prompt.

In safe mode, I fired up IE and found it was v6 sp1 so I did not think the solution of uninstalling v7 applied.  However, I found the ie7 folder on the machine and ran the uninstall to no effect.

I found kb another article, 312295, that referenced a similar but not identical issue, but followed the directions anyway.  I got a message stating the activation state could not be determined, do you want to activate now.  I said yes and eventually was returned to the login prompt.  I undid what the article said to do, I believe and am still in my original situation.

Here is the output from the WGAutil

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3XXQ6-GP48R-FPCVB
    Windows Product Key Hash: oUxMUBa49tXfbmLhOXIYCsWmUj8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2269637-06876
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {B12AE357-DD07-4F37-963B-E3625FF8DC33}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    2007 Microsoft Office system - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B12AE357-DD07-4F37-963B-E3625FF8DC33}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-FPCVB</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2269637-06876</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1852434395-3614370870-2129397258</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTEL_</Manufacturer><Model>DG965WH_</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>MQ96510J.86A.1705.2007.0902.1850</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070902000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>33CC3E270184807A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0031-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>2007 Microsoft Office system</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>77CB3B9BCC95DB0</Val><Hash>vtdTtC4boQgEgLzBO37HFY8lIuA=</Hash><Pid>89451-OEM-6672806-36675</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, May 12, 2008 1:11 AM

Answers

• Hello stevenjo_computer4u.com,

I have seen a solution posted for the broken activation problem in XP, but I have never had occasion to test it out.

Here's the purported solution:

If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

[Edit:  command must be typed exacly as above with space, caps, and comma.]

If you try it, let us know if it worked for you. :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, May 07, 2010 1:59 AM
  • Joe Schmeier,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Lori MS

Monday, May 12, 2008 10:25 PM

All replies

• Joe Schmeier,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Lori MS

Monday, May 12, 2008 10:25 PM
  • The guy said he could not log in to his computer at all - so how is it helpful to give him instructions which assume he can?

I have had the same problem, and gotten similarly useless infomation from MS employees. Go the Start button... How can I go to the start button if Windows will not let me log in at all?

OK, log in in safe mode. Yes I can do that. Follow the menu to 'Activate Windows' and click. OK, but WIndows cannot be activated in safe mode, and I get a message telling me to log on in normal mode. Which I cannot do. Duh!
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:39 AM
  • The guy said he could not log in to his computer at all - so how is it helpful to give him instructions which assume he can?

I have had the same problem, and gotten similarly useless infomation from MS employees. Go the Start button... How can I go to the start button if Windows will not let me log in at all?

OK, log in in safe mode. Yes I can do that. Follow the menu to 'Activate Windows' and click. OK, but WIndows cannot be activated in safe mode, and I get a message telling me to log on in normal mode. Which I cannot do. Duh!

I have the same issue and wish there was an answer posted here. all you can get is a 1"x 3" dialog box with the option of yes or no both of wich bring you back to the logon screen.  safe mode without networking will let you get a start button. safe mode with networking comes back with the same issue,  except tells you to use normal mode. it is a "loop" please help MS.   
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:31 AM
  • Hello joediego,

Please repost your issue in this forum:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpinstall/threads?filter=answered
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, February 08, 2010 1:13 AM
  • I had same issue after O/S repair and was able to go into safemode (no Networking) and get to start menu.  from there i went into device manager and uninstalled any suspect hardware that may have been causing my blue screen. in my case it was the video card.  then i was able to boot into regular mode and activate.  hope this helps.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:29 PM
  • I had same issue after O/S repair and was able to go into safemode (no Networking) and get to start menu.  from there i went into device manager and uninstalled any suspect hardware that may have been causing my blue screen. in my case it was the video card.  then i was able to boot into regular mode and activate.  hope this helps.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:29 PM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Problem: “This copy of Windows must be activated before you can logon. Would you like to activate Windows now?” System hangs indefinitely.

Fix:

1.       Press f8 at Windows load to get into safe mode w/ command prompt

2.       Type explorer in command prompt to get windows explorer shell

3.       Create a new folder on desktop, name it “prep” (or whatever you want).

4.       Go to my computer

5.       Place XP disc in drive

6.       Navigate to cd drive and explore the disc

7.       There is folder “Support”

8.       Inside Support is “tools”

9.       Inside Tools is a “Deploy” cab

10.   Double- click Deploy

11.   Just to be safe, highlight all of those icons

12.   Right click on any of them and hit extract

13.   Extract them to the folder you created on the desktop

14.   Now navigate to the folder you created.

15.   Inside you will see those files now extracted

16.   Double-click factory (a new file will appear)

17.   Double click Sysprep

18.   Choose factory and restart

19.   You can now get to the desktop, but Windows may not be activated

If you can’t seem to get activation to work:

1.       Download and/or install IE8

2.       If IE is not working, use Firefox to download IE8

3.       After install, Windows should give the activation prompt.

4.       Activate windows.

If Windows updates aren’t working try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058  Allow the tool to fix it for you.

Note there no guarantees this will solve all problems. System may still be glitchy. Try a check disk or sfc /scannow command to work out other issues

Took me a long time to figure this issue out.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:40 PM
  • I got some help on this from Microsoft service pack support team ,  see if the below Link Helps

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=16&y=13&c1=509&gprid=3221&&st=1&wfxredirect=1

Thx

Thursday, May 06, 2010 10:48 PM

I have seen a solution posted for the broken activation problem in XP, but I have never had occasion to test it out.

If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, May 07, 2010 1:59 AM
  • This worked for me.  Very glad cause it was on a friends computer.  Thanks.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Dan is the man!! your reset worked for me Thanks!!!
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 3:26 AM
  • Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:09 AM
  • Thank You, this reset the activation wizard so that I could activate it.  Worked Great.  You are The Man, Dan.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:25 PM

This worked for me as well.  When I first received the message about acivation, I tried to log in using safe mode and was greeted by another message about activation.  I was not able to log in using safe mode.  I tried standard mode again, and  could not log in.  I went back and tried safe mode again and this time I was able to log in and use your fix. 

Thanks for the help.

Friday, July 23, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Dan @ IT - this worked - thanks!  How did you find the solution?
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Thanks alot, this works 100%.  I was not getting a desktop, after I typed that command the desktop loaded and I was able to activate Windows.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Excellent information Worked great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xp
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Worked Great. Thanks so much. Working on friends conputer and was lock in activation loop. Try to log on and pop-up that said this copy of Windows needs to be activated. click yes and activation Window would come up and say This copy of Windows is already Activated. So could only get in in safe mode. Try all kinds of other solutions and none worked. Type in cmd you posted rebooted came right up. Thanks again
    Saturday, October 09, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Dan's solution worked for me, too - and this is a problem I've had with a number of PCs before and never been able to solve! So, thanks, Dan!

One little thing, we then had a situation afterwards where, although we were able to login okay, we couldn't activate Windows.

However, a colleague sorted out  that problem but I now can't find his notes. Come Monday, I'll talk to him and post a little update.

Many thanks.

Bob Crabtree

Computer Solutions

London E11

Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:50 PM
  • CMajorDane's answer worked great for me. Now maybe I CAN get some sleep tonight after all!! THANK YOU!
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:04 PM
  • CMajorDane, you are a dead-set legend! Had this issue many times before, but this is by far THE best fix, well done and thanks!
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Hi Buddy,

Thanks for suggestion, it works perfectly fine for me.

i started my system in safe mode & typed below command in

START >> RUN >> rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk >> Press ENTER.

Reboot the computer in Normal Mode, its working fine now.

Thanks a ton

Ashish

Sunday, December 26, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Looks like a great solution, CMajorDane, but what if we're talking about a netbook? My girlfriend's son got a netbook for Christmas and we're getting the same endless loop. We validated Windows using the phone because we couldn't get a network connection until logging in. After confirming the copy of Windows, it takes us back to the login screen, then asks us to validate again. When we click Yes, it says Windows is already validated and goes back to the login screen. I'm going to try resetting the validation using Dan's command line next.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 9:22 PM
  • hey Bob, did you find out from your colleague how to activate windows now/? i am able to login to computer but still need to activate windows and cant see windows activation wizard anywhere. your help will be greatly appreciated.
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 3:49 PM
  • "vicky26s" wrote in message news:a68843ba-e569-4260-a9cd-a9111ff5f8b6...
    hey Bob, did you find out from your colleague how to activate windows now/? i am able to login to computer but still need to activate windows and cant see windows activation wizard anywhere. your help will be greatly appreciated.

Please repost your exact problem in your OWN NEW thread - with details.

To active windows, use the shortcut in the Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools menu

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Vicky,

Sorry, forgot all about this - I'll forward to him the advisory email that alerted me to your posting and see if we can't sort something out for you - not sure if he's going to be around, though, until Monday morning (UK time).

Cheers

Bob

Bob Crabtree Computer Solutions London E11
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 2:09 AM
  • "Noel D Paton" wrote in message news:9d016277-bd82-4691-845c-40cb98588970...
    "vicky26s" wrote in message news:a68843ba-e569-4260-a9cd-a9111ff5f8b6...
    hey Bob, did you find out from your colleague how to activate windows now/? i am able to login to computer but still need to activate windows and cant see windows activation wizard anywhere. your help will be greatly appreciated.

Please repost your exact problem in your OWN NEW thread - with details.

To active windows, use the shortcut in the Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools menu

--

....sorry - you say you can't log in.
    Try Safe Mode with Networking - that may work.

--

Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Worked great. I can now reactivate XP from inside my normal desktop.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:01 PM
  • hi,

I have tried your tips, but I got warning message on the windows activation window after restarting the computer:

A problem preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code 0x80004005

please give more your brilliant tips.

Cheers,

Ryann2k1

Saturday, January 29, 2011 1:43 PM
  • "ryann2k1" wrote in message news:a3573889-c18a-420b-863a-45cb2ae29270...

hi,

I have tried your tips, but I got warning message on the windows activation window after restarting the computer:

A problem preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code 0x80004005

please give more your brilliant tips.

Cheers,

Ryann2k1

Please post your exact problem to a NEW thread of your own, and include an MGADiag report.
    (you may have to use Safe Mode to be able to access the desktop)
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Saturday, January 29, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Dan,

I know this is a long time after your post, but i wanted to let you know that i ran into this exact same issue and used the re-arm command above.  It did work, but i had to go find my XP license key to re-enter (luckily i still had it.)

Thanks for your post.

Marvin

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:02 AM
  • This works for me, everytime.

Thanks so much!!

Bob

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:50 PM
  • This normally works for me but I got one stubborn pc tonight. After completing the above steps it still didn't want to open the activation screen. I used the KeyUpdateTool and entered another XP key and restarted. After the restart it was activated. Run the KeyUpdateTool again to enter the original key and youre done.

Hope that this helps someone at some time.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Thanks, it worked. Saved me hours of work.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:00 AM
  • i really fail. i cant logon to my computer xo i tried safe mode command prompt. i am newb in using command prompt, what should i type?

i tried typing cd C:\Windows\System32>rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk (error)

what should i type exactly?

Start->RUN wont work., i could ONLY use Safe mode command prompt. :(

• Proposed as answer by BobCrabtree Friday, August 12, 2011 11:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by BobCrabtree Friday, August 12, 2011 11:11 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 10:40 AM

• i really fail. i cant logon to my computer xo i tried safe mode command prompt. i am newb in using command prompt, what should i type?

i tried typing cd C:\Windows\System32>rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk (error)

what should i type exactly?

Start->RUN wont work., i could ONLY use Safe mode command prompt. :(

You restart the PC in safe mode with command prompt by doing the following:

1/ Dab the F8 key every half second while the PC is starting up - keep on dabbing until a menu appears

2/ Use the up/down arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt  then press enter

3/ Wait for the screens full of rubbish driver-load nonsense to finish and then type in the following (and, as per the original, it must be EXACTLY as shown):

(Note - Those round characters in the last bit - SetupOobeBnk - are an upper-case letter O and a lower-case letter o - NOT zeros. Also, the only space is between rundll32.exe and syssetup)

Good luck

Bob C

Friday, August 12, 2011 11:19 AM
  • hehehe. no luck bob., :))

i followed those steps then at the safe mode,

cmd.exe box appeared and saw this C:\Documents and Settings\*accountname*\>

then i type it directly the rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk. so it looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\*accountname*\>rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

pressed enter. nothing changed.

C:\Documents and Settings\*accountname*\>

was that correct? sorry for being newb. hehehe :)

and one thing how can i restart? all i can see in safe mode is the cmd.exe box and black screen. i only just pushed the restart button.

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:22 PM
  • hehehe. no luck bob., :))

i followed those steps then at the safe mode,

cmd.exe box appeared and saw this C:\Documents and Settings\*accountname*\>

then i type it directly the rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk. so it looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\*accountname*\>rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

pressed enter. nothing changed.

C:\Documents and Settings\*accountname*\>

was that correct? sorry for being newb. hehehe :)

and one thing how can i restart? all i can see in safe mode is the cmd.exe box and black screen. i only just pushed the restart button.

I don't think that you will necessarily see any message after you've run that command line. As for exiting Safe Mode - in XP, you simply type:

exit

Followed by the enter key.

It's possible that because you forced a restart - by  pushing the power button - that the change you made will not have been saved.

So, if things are unchanged after that restart, go into Safe Mode with Command Prompt again and run that command line - then use the exit command to restart the PC.

Bob

Friday, August 12, 2011 6:29 PM
  • I too had this same problem on an old XP PRO system I use about 1-2 times a quarter.  The responses addressing the "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" worked like a champ for me ... up to a point.  They got me back online with a 30d activation, but I still could not get the activation to work:  The application would simply hang up (yes, even overnight). 

I tried cleaning and a number of other options, rebooting, etc.  I was finally ready to reimage and start again, but on a whim I updated and ran Advanced System Care 4.  BINGO.  Whatever it did differently, it worked.  Immediately after a reboot re-activation worked and the computer has been fine ever since.

Just for information, I use Microsoft Security Essentials on that computer.  Could be it be a common thread?

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:43 AM
  • "TGIS1" wrote in message news:1c7e8330-086f-4c51-bf35-0c3caaabc011...

I too had this same problem on an old XP PRO system I use about 1-2 times a quarter.  The responses addressing the "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" worked like a champ for me ... up to a point.  They got me back online with a 30d activation, but I still could not get the activation to work:  The application would simply hang up (yes, even overnight).

I tried cleaning and a number of other options, rebooting, etc.  I was finally ready to reimage and start again, but on a whim I updated and ran Advanced System Care 4.  BINGO.  Whatever it did differently, it worked.  Immediately after a reboot re-activation worked and the computer has been fine ever since.

Just for information, I use Microsoft Security Essentials on that computer.  Could be it be a common thread?

Advanced System Care is a known ‘BAD THING’ as far as activation is concerned – and can seriously damage your OS – please do the sensible thing and remove it completely.

Please post an MGADiag report of your machine to a NEW thread of your own.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
    - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:36 PM
  • This thread was created in 2008 (where it was marked as Answered), resurrected in 2010 and again in 2011.

If the Answer in a thread does not resolve your issue then you do not have the exact same issue as is being discussed in that thread and should create your Own thread for your Own specific issue.

<Thread Locked>

Darin MS
    Monday, August 15, 2011 8:26 PM