none
Key difference between Asynchronous Plugin and Asynchronous Workflow?

Question

• Dear All,

I know the concept of Asynchronous operation in CRM.In my experience I developed Synchronous Plugins .But i want to know exact situation when will we use Asynchronous Plugin and when will use Asychronous Workflow.

Anybody please explain this concept with real life scenarios.

Thanks & Regards, Sudhakar
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:20 PM

Answers

• Following up on Mahender's post:  images are indeed available to the Workflow, via the IWorkflowExecutionContext--but they're not optional.  The core difference between an async Plugin and a Workflow is operational overhead, both in terms of memory and execution time.  When executed automatically, Workflows are "expanded" from an initial asynchronous event, which is effectively the trigger configured by the trigger parameters.  This effectively renders two separate asynchronous tasks that represent each Workflow's single, automatic execution.  Above and beyond that, I already answered this question for you .
    Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Sudhar,

One key difference is Images that you can use in Asynchronous Plugin, but not in workflow.

Mahain : My Dynamics CRM Blog
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Just to clear my sentence Sudhakar, I mean to say you can not register images for custom workflow. but for asyn plugins you can do that.
    Mahain : My Dynamics CRM Blog
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Following up on Mahender's post:  images are indeed available to the Workflow, via the IWorkflowExecutionContext--but they're not optional.  The core difference between an async Plugin and a Workflow is operational overhead, both in terms of memory and execution time.  When executed automatically, Workflows are "expanded" from an initial asynchronous event, which is effectively the trigger configured by the trigger parameters.  This effectively renders two separate asynchronous tasks that represent each Workflow's single, automatic execution.  Above and beyond that, I already answered this question for you .
    Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:31 PM
  • You cannot make an Asynchronous Plug-in on demand like the way we can do it in workflows.

Friday, December 17, 2010 10:12 AM