Remote Access With WHS 2011

Question

• I have a few questions regarding Remote Access in WHS 2011.

First, what ports do I need to open on my router? In the previous version of WHS I know that ports 80, 443, and 4125 were required. Since WHS 2011 is based upon Server 2008 and Server 2008 had the ability to use a Remote Desktop Gateway that required nothing more than port 80 I'm really hoping that WHS 2011 will also allow me to connect using just port 80 (my ISP seems to block 4125).

Second, will I only be able to remotely access those systems that have a Remote Desktop server component? For example, with Win 7, the Home Premium version has no built in Remote Desktop Server component but Win 7 Ultimate does. In other words, will the Home Server software that gets installed on the home machines allow me to remotely access all of those machines even if they are only running something like Win 7 Home Premium?

• Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:08 PM not a WHS v1 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Saturday, April 09, 2011 11:05 PM

Answers

• You will only need to forward ports 80 and 443.
    Remote Desktop is only available for Windows OS platforms that support it.
    So in affect you will not be able to RDP into Windows XP Home Edition, Window 7 Starter, Home or Home Premium.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Hannes S Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:06 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:14 AM

All replies

• You will only need to forward ports 80 and 443.
    Remote Desktop is only available for Windows OS platforms that support it.
    So in affect you will not be able to RDP into Windows XP Home Edition, Window 7 Starter, Home or Home Premium.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Hannes S Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:06 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:14 AM
  • Thank you, Theo. I got a chance to test it now by installating it in a Virtual Machine and it does indeed behave just as you noted.

- Hannes

Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:07 PM