KB Article 291178 - Word Cannot Complete The Save Due To A File Permission Error

General discussion

• I have bounced-around from the Word Community Forum to Live OneCare Tech Support and have yet to resolve this dilemma.

I have at least 3 (maybe more by now) clients who recently ditched the Norton products which they have used for years in favor of the retail release of Live OneCare, both the downloaded and retail boxed versions.

They all simultaneously experienced the identical same problem(s) after installing Live OneCare as described in MS KB # 291178, namely, "Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error" as well as some of the other error messages mentioned in the article; however, the message above is the one which appears the most frequently and creates the most havoc, since the Word ".doc" file they're working on can't be saved and is usually lost.

I have personally seen to it that all the options described in the "Workaround" section have been tried (including closing all open programs except Word), and the alternative mentioned in the "Resolution" section doesn't apply either, since their hard drives all range from 300GB to 500GB in size and have huge amounts of free space (meaning that the Windows "swap (paging) file" has an almost unlimited area of space to grow in.

All these units are Intel P4 machines, 2 years old or less, have between 1GB & 2GB of RAM, and are running Windows XP Pro SP2 and MS Office Standard 2003, with both the OS and office suite "patched-up" to the latest versions.

The common denominator here is that in every case the "can't save" problem only appeared after the installation of Live OneCare and was never seen or heard of during the previous use of Norton SystemWorks and Personal Firewall.

Of particular note is the sentence in the Knowledge Base Article which states, "This behavior has been reported to occur if your computer is running certain versions of antivirus software".

Little did I ever suspect that Live OneCare, of all products, would possibly be one of the offenders.

Now I'm not trying to make a case for ditching the product, rather quite the opposite; it seems to be a great performer in most other categories, not to mention that I don't want to look the Fool in front of my clients, since they punted the Norton stuff which they had used for years in favor of LOC on my advice.

Rather, I just want Microsoft to acknowledge the problem and give me a quick fix, so I can get them under control and back to what they do best, which is simply "computing".

However, when they are losing files daily which they have worked for hours, if not days on and then come howling to me for a resolution, I consider this to be a very urgent issue which needs to be immediately addressed.

Please advise ASAP, before I get ridden out of town on a "digital rail".

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 9:46 AM

All replies

• I think I'd try talking directly to Office Support, since though the change to OneCare may have triggered it this really sounds like an Office issue.

However, the one thing that causes the most problems for WLOC itself is when any remnants of the previous AV Suite remain on the system, since they can obviously interfere. So my question would be did you run the cleanup tool that Symnantec has available for completely removing the Norton/Symantec AV product? If not, I'd give that a try, though we'll need to find a link to the tool first.

Also, did IE 7 get installed during this same time period? Though this is less likely an issue, it does interact with files through Defender so it might also be involved.

OneCareBear

Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:08 PM
  • HI

We have encountered the same save problem in Word 2007 as described above  for  one of our users coming from Norton and moving to One care 1.5.

The only solution found actually has been to de-install Onecare :-(

Any alternative solution ?

Saturday, March 03, 2007 10:12 PM
  • The problem continues to exist for some, unfortunately. There are several known causes of the problem that have been reported in the past - multiple a/v products, including remnants of products, running on the PC and on certain Acer computers, an Acer driver causes the conflict.

-steve

Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Indeed Stephen .. it is happening on an acer laptop with Norton AV ...

Do you know which Acer's driver was cause of the problem and if Acer provided any patches ?

Thanks for your help

- Marc

Sunday, March 04, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Yes indeed - it is this one: Acer eRecovery service driver (int15.sys).

-steve

Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Frankly, I'm troubled by Microsoft's willingness to blame this issue on anything and any company other than itself. All of your alleged causes of the problem are simply excuses for a clearly flawed Live OneCare product. I have this issue occuring now every time I try to use Word for anything. My notebook computer is a brand new HP Pavilion dv9000 that has never had any anti-virus program installed on it prior to Live OneCare. Microsoft has a serious problem here judging by the number of people complaining about it and it is something of which it has been aware for months. You need to fix your product or recall it and remove it from the market. No one should ever have to endure the stress and aggravation that is created when a product you thought was reliable suddenly and unexpectedly destroys a critical and important document. I lost a legal brief that was to have been filed in a state court of appeal on the day that the new and improved Microsoft products determined it was time to erase the document from my hard drive. I wasted hours on the phone with Microsoft support only to be told that there was nothing that could be done and the brief that I had worked on for days on end would have to be recreated from my own memory. Fortunately, since I no longer trust the products or advice that Microsoft provides, I did not accept the representation of the Microsoft support tech and was able to use a file restoration program to locate and reconstruct the majority of my file that had been destroyed by Live OneCare.

Its shameful that the world's self-professed leader in technology continues to harm its users by placing this defective product on the market, not warning its customers of this issue, and not lifting a finger to correct the problem while countless people continue to lose personally and professionally valuable documents. I have liked working with Word but am now returning to using WordPerfect. At least Corel fixes problems associated with its products and doesn't deny its own liability for defective products when brought to its attention. Microsoft could learn some customer service skills from them and other technology companies.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 7:39 AM
  • I understand your frustration and also agree that the problem needs to be fixed completely. This problem has been reported in OneCare for some people for quite some time now and the fix has been elusive to the team - more elusive than I think it should be. They *have* identified a number of cases (no, I don't know numbers) where the problem was fixed by removing a conflicting A/V package or disabling the Acer driver mentioned above. It is my understanding that *most* of the problems going to support and being worked on by the team have been fixed by those actions.

In your case, you mention that the new laptop never saw another a/v product. Unless you clean installed the OS yourself, there was likely a competing product installed by HP. If you uninstalled that other application, it may still have left something behind.

Once again, I do understand your frustration, but I would ask you to contact support to have your logs checked and see if a resolution can be found for your case. In the meantime, I will continue to provide feedback to the OneCare team that there are more posts in the forums for this problem.

-steve

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Steve,

After a quick check, the user who had the problem describe above owned an Acer Laptop but I have not found the driver identified as source of problem on his machine.

User is now back to Norton and save problem with Word disappeared.

I'd like to have a concrete solution as we promoted WOC and we have currently  stop migration of 10 users due to this issue !

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 8:09 PM
  •  Metrum wrote:

Steve,

After a quick check, the user who had the problem describe above owned an Acer Laptop but I have not found the driver identified as source of problem on his machine.

User is now back to Norton and save problem with Word disappeared.

I'd like to have a concrete solution as we promoted WOC and we have currently  stop migration of 10 users due to this issue !

You'll find ongoing discussion of the problem in this thread , I'm sure. As soon as something concrete is learned, it will certainly be mentioned here.

-steve

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 8:37 PM
  • I have had the same problem, and Im definately going to uninstall One Care. This is a big problem, particularly as Ive lost around 3 important files due to this. Thanks a lot Microsoft :{
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:46 PM
  • I got on with Microsoft who gave me several good things to try.  However, in the end, it was the good old start menu that was the problem.  I started taking things out one at a time and found a program running called "check" located at c:\windows\system 32\check.exe.  Once I took it out of start up, all my Word problems went away.  Good luck to anyone else out there with this problem.  I love WOC and have a lot of customers migrating to it from other programs and thank those poor kids a MS who really did try to help, but failed. 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Thanks for sharing what worked for you, PC Lady.

-steve

Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:53 AM
  • I own an Acer laptop, and only use Norton AV, but I recently began experiencing this message as well.  I've had my Acer for almost a year, but the problem only cropped up a few weeks ago.  So far, the "save as" work around has at least saved my work, but it sends chills!  And while we do have a small in-home network all my files are saved on my C drive.  In fact, the problem seems to happen most when I open a previously saved file, make changes, and then try to re-save it.  Any bright thoughts would be appreciated.

Monday, November 12, 2007 11:30 PM
  •  amazingrace wrote:
    I own an Acer laptop, and only use Norton AV, but I recently began experiencing this message as well.  I've had my Acer for almost a year, but the problem only cropped up a few weeks ago.  So far, the "save as" work around has at least saved my work, but it sends chills!  And while we do have a small in-home network all my files are saved on my C drive.  In fact, the problem seems to happen most when I open a previously saved file, make changes, and then try to re-save it.  Any bright thoughts would be appreciated.

Since you are using Norton, you aren't on topic for this thread, which, although it mentions the same problem you have encountered, is in relation to Windows Live OneCare, a competitor to the Norton product. I would recommend contacting Norton or visiting the Office newsgroups.

-steve

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:01 PM
  • Hello,

We have had a Acer Laptop for over a year and also have had Live OneCare on the laptop for the same amount of time. What is interesting is that we have only started to see this problem "word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error" come up recently in the past 2 - 3 months on our computer.  The data files are all on the D: Drive on this laptop.  We are using Office 2003 that is current with updates.

It seems unlikely that this is a Acer problem as it would have shown up much much earlier.  No Acer updates have been applied to this laptop in the past year.  However, we have plenty of Windows and Office Updates.  We believe the problem is related to one of these updates.  It is of course entirely possible that the Windows and Office updates have some issue with the Acer now, but the origin of the problem we believe is with Microsoft.

What we have learned is how to not lose our work.  When the error comes up, click on the save option and resave the file with a different name.

We have not found a way to correct this problem and it doesn't seem like there is a concrete answer in this discussion.

Hopefully someone at Microsoft will see this issue.

Thanks.

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:23 PM
  • Please can someone either microsoft or someone else please try to sort this out, i have just lost some very important work that will take me ages to sort out again, i have a Acer laptop that has worked ok for a long while now but since i put onecare on the above problem occurs, i have tried all the above fixes but all have failed, i have tried the instant reply help service but the reply was that the question was too long ????

it seems that this is a problem that has been going on for a while now with no apparent solution, why ???? please please can someone point me in the right direction.

thanks

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:36 PM
  •  

and the procedure to remove this service driver?

and what is the result?

Robin

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:25 AM
  • Hi Smartfinds,

You mentioned the data is on the D: Drive.  Is this an external USB device? Are the same results happening when you save to the C: Drive?  Assuming the D: Drive is USB, would the port and USB device be USB 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0?

I've requested the Test Team to reproduce this scenario and appreciate any information to further troubleshoot the situation. 

Thank you

Eddy

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:21 PM
  • SOLUTION: Change the format of your portable USB / thumb drive to NTFS from either FAT or FAT32 which it may currently be.

Solved all my "file permission error" issues
    Monday, March 10, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Hi Stephen,
    I realize this is an old thread, but I have fought and fought this problem for months, tearing my hair and losing many valuable files, and this is the first time I've heard it could possibly be traced to my Acer laptop.  Is this correct??  Do I need to junk the Acer or have you figured out a fix for this problem of losing documents due to a 'file permission error'?
    jonesy
    Friday, April 04, 2008 11:17 AM
  • If your problem happens to be caused by the Acer software conflicting with the Office apps and the antivirus program, OneCare or other, I would recommend uninstalling the Acer utilities - the eRecovery tools, I believe that they are called. Perhaps that will solve it for you. I wouldn't junk the laptop...just the installed Acer utilities. I have an Acer laptop, too, and I removed those utilities shortly after I got the laptop. After a lost hard drive, I installed a clean copy of Vista on the new drive and installed the drivers from Acer's various web sites for my model. (It shipped with XP and the drivers for my model were not ready yet, so not everything worked..) I never missed the eRecovery software. :-)

-steve

Friday, April 04, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Such problem occur when any file filter driver (like antivirus) read file using cached IO (FltReadFile + FLTFL_IO_OPERATION_NON_CACHED). Solution change fat/fat32 to ntfs or disable cache manager on this volume.

ps. same problem: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10054917.htm

Friday, June 20, 2008 7:37 AM
  • Unfortunately, I don't have check.exe on my computer at all, much less in Startup, I don't have an Acer, or Norton or OneCare, and I still have to save every @#$!@#% Word 2007 document at least three times before the save "takes."  It's driving me nuts.  I'm a 25-year IT professional and I've been using Word since version 2.0, but this one has me totally buffaloed.

Any and all ideas welcome.  My e-mail address is troubador52@comcast.net.  Thanks!

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:07 AM
  •  

Hi,

I have headached with my Acer laptop computer, which has been installed Micsorsoft office 2003,  with the same problem of "word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error". The problem has only arisen after I installed the anti-virus program Kaspersky 2009. I have tried to uninstall Micsorsoft office 2003 so many times, but failed!!!!

I cannot save my word file. Anyone from Microsoft coud help me. Thanks!

Saturday, September 06, 2008 5:36 AM
  •  Colliquiaria wrote:

Hi,

I have headached with my Acer laptop computer, which has been installed Micsorsoft office 2003,  with the same problem of "word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error". The problem has only arisen after I installed the anti-virus program Kaspersky 2009. I have tried to uninstall Micsorsoft office 2003 so many times, but failed!!!!

I cannot save my word file. Anyone from Microsoft coud help me. Thanks!

I think you may want to start here: http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2488#tab0 and then use the option in the upper right to get more Help, including contact Office 2003 support. Otherwise, head over to the Office newsgroups:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

-steve

Monday, September 08, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Thanks Steve! I have tried to follow your suggestion but not yet succeeded. In mean time, I have unloaded Kaspersky AV, disconnected the Internet, and worked smoothly with the Save command in Winword. Wow!!!

Is it Kaspersky problem you guy?  Should I try the Kaspersky with non-Acer laptop computer, like HP compag?

Thanks!

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:24 AM
  • I think it is a Word problem, but only in certain configurations with various security software.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:10 PM
  • I dont no if this helps but I have been having issues with clients who been trying to use vista and office 2003 and then when trying to save the file error message comes up and deletes there file. The solution I found was to convert the pen drive to ntfs instead of fat and it worked a treat every time

Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Hi
    I had the same problem but soon I found that the AVG Anti-spyware was the problem. When it is active I am getting the error
    "word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error"But not when it is inactive...
    So I think the problem is due to compatibility with Acer sys.. try installing other anti-spyware or other softwares which you think could be neutral and doesnt interfere with Acer tools...
    thanks
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:16 PM
  •  pkraj wrote:
    Hi
    I had the same problem but soon I found that the AVG Anti-spyware was the problem. When it is active I am getting the error
    "word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error"But not when it is inactive...
    So I think the problem is due to compatibility with Acer sys.. try installing other anti-spyware or other softwares which you think could be neutral and doesnt interfere with Acer tools...
    thanks

I don't think so since I also had used both AVG anti spyware and AVG antivirus programs in my Acer laptop. No problem with the winword 2003 occurred until when I uninstalled AVG antivirus for Kaspersky.

Steve: I am trying...thanks!

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Hi All,

I believe this is a MS problem of recent product (Office or Windows) updates.

I have been using my Acer, Win XP Pro, Office 2003, and Kaspersky for the past 2+ years, and no problems. Suddendly, I statrted losing Word files (due to "file permission error" described above) in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I do not have Check.exe or the eRecovery stuff mentioned on the above messages. MS Automatic Updates has always been turned on.

My past experiences with updates make me suspect that this is a MS problem. For example, the handwriting recognition stopped working when Office SP3 came out (still doesn't work to date). There were times that something stopped working, and then worked again, or things changed. I think the Auto Update does bad stuff behind our backs

Microsft Support, PLEASE - I have lost many files and spent days recreating them and hours searching for how to fix this problem

FYE

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Stephen:

I went looking for the longer thread on the MS-Word / OneCare Permissions Bug, which had begun during Beta, just to see if it had been resolved for others, as well as for me. This shorter thread seems to have been tranferred to OneCare from the Word forums - but some of the writers appear to be using other AVs than OneCare. That could be confusing the issue. Or are other brands using the same hooks into the writing of files?

I was surprised to see that some people are still having the problem. 

In the other thread I reported that the big fixes MS applied to OneCare during the first half of 2007 really helped, and the bug appeared less and less often.   I switched to Qwest DSL in November 2007 and they downloaded a version of OneCare with their name on it, as part of the service.  That seems to have completed the fix - I have not suffered from the "permissions" bug since.  Knock on wood!    I am still using XP-Home, and Office 2003.

- Eirík Þorvaldsson

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:04 AM
  • Hi, Eirik.

The other thread is still around somewhere, but this problem has always been about Word and not OneCare, though it is certainly possible that OneCare (and other scanners) are complicit in the root cause of he problem.

I am glad that it has gone away for you with the latest versions of OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:17 PM
  • This is not OneCare related, but this forum was about the best source of info on the above problem.  I noticed this problem at the end of an install with OneCare being the last software to go on the machine (after Office 2007).  It turned out that the machine with the problem was Vista Business and I was traying to save files from this machine on another PC in a peer to peer network.  By disabelling the Offline Files feature in Vista (type Offline Files in the Start Search box) the problem went away.  Hopefully this may help some others out there. 

Tim  

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:40 AM
  • I have experienced the same problem of MS Word saving and same message appears when i save the document 2nd time. The Problem is resolved when i un-installed the Anti Virus named Kaspersky Antivirus 2009. The problem arise when i downloaded this antivirus and upgraded it. Continusoly i was facing the problem until i did not remove it. Now I have resolved the problem after reading the above article. Thanks to Microsoft forum but i need to know that if antiviruses creating problem in MS Word then the management of MS Office should do something in favor of their clients otherwise its a greater conflict between MS Word and Antiviruses (that are creating this type of file saving problem).

Hope that Mircrosoft team would take some steps to solve this problem and to get rid of their users with this sort of problem.

Thanks & Regards

Adnan

Karachi, Pakistan

Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:35 PM
  • I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection, and I don't have One care, but still have same message, more over

the file will be lost if I didn't use adifferent file name each time I try to save it. Any solution?
    Monday, November 17, 2008 12:15 PM
  • I neither have an Acer nor do I use Symantec, yet this problem started on my machine as soon as I uninstalled Microsoft Desktop Search.  After many hours of troubleshooting and losing a significant number of hairs, I figured that Microsoft Desktop Search must have somehow messed up the attributes to the folder I was saving the file in (and I am almost certain ALL my other folders as well!), so I created a new folder and moved all the files to the new folder.  Problem solved : )
    I hope it works for all of you as well given that this is one of the top 5 worst annoyances I have ever experienced on a Windows machine.  Had I not had several backups of my files, I would have been too big of a mess to be writing this right now!!!
    I am by no means a Microsoft hater; I simply cannot ignore all that Microsoft has done to make my life easier.  That said, however, whoever is in charge of developing Microsoft Desktop Search should carefully study Google Desktop Search to see how seamlessly, painlessly, and beautifully this simple concept can actually be implemented.
    In case the above solution does not work for you, try this:
    When the dreaded "Word Cannot Complete The Save Due To A File Permission Error" pop up appears, choose to try again.  Once you get the save dialog, you should see the name of your file with a "$" attached to the beginning.  Click on that file, hit delete, get rid of the "$" in the name chooser, and hit save.  You will have now saved the file with its original name, and will have also gotten rid of the stupid 1kb file with the "$" attached to your file name.
    Best wishes to all.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:33 AM
  • good thing i didnt have to create a whole new acc to reply 2 this.

heres one.

i experience the same problem and guess what, when i heard of the woc thing i was shocked.
    i never saw that coming.

needless to say i was ful of praise for the guy(s) who figures it out

so after reading the forum i unintalled the live care that windows live messenger intalls

i thought i killed the problem but here i am now trying to prepare my debate and the problem is back, weather uninstalling  one care did any good in my case is anybody's guess.

ive got a pc that runs a game like crysis on medium settings to sum it up.

so the last culprit is kaspersky

im regularly hit my viruses cuz i use p2p softwaresplus my usb memory stick has probably been through more computers than my college lab has.
    i'm a big fan of kaspersky and dont want to uninstall it.

solve my problem and im a fan of urs Stick out tongue
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:41 AM
  • Yeah, I've got the same problem, and I'm not using OneCare or an Acer computer.  There is no check.exe on my computer.  I'm running XP with Office 2003, which I've been using for the past 4 years without problem.  Suddenly, I can't work off the USB drive, getting the errors discussed above.

A quick google of this issue shows that it is very widespread with all imaginable software configurations.  The only consistent factor?  MS Word.  (Microsoft?  Hello?  Anyone there?)

I re-formatted my USB drives to NTFS, which seems to have solved the problem (for now, anyway), but NTFS seems to make the drives much slower.  Oh well, at least data isn't disappearing anymore.

But I do wonder what's causing this problem, and whether it will re-surface.  I don't buy for a second all this blaming of third-party software, because it seems so many people are experiencing the exact same issue, using different anti-virus programs, different firewalls, etc.  It seems to be a Word issue to me.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:26 PM
  • I recently performed a Vista tweak as suggested to me by a Vista 'expert'.  The tweak is as follows...

Vista doesn't always set all the performance options to maximum for your SATA drives.  To set all the options to max, open device manager. Press the Windows + R keys and type devmgmt.msc > expand the Disk drives section by clicking on the plus sign > double-click on the drive you want to configure the click the Policies tab > Check the Optimize for performance button > Check both the Enable write caching on the disk and the Enable advanced performance boxes. See the warnings about power loss? They are there for a reason.

Unchecking 'Enable write caching on the disk' solved the permissions bug for me.  Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:05 PM
  • OK, that solution didn't last too long.  The file permission error came back, but I noticed it only happens on this one file named sp2.docx.  I could save it as anything other than sp2.docx (sp2a.docx), but not as sp2.docx.   So I save it as sp2a.docx and delete sp2.docx.  I then created a new file and copy the contents of sp2a.docx to the new file and name it sp2.docx.  All is good until I open sp1.docx and now I can't save sp2 as sp2 again.  Evidently, there was a connection between the 2 files - be it in the form of an inserted picture or some sort of formatting.  I created an entirely new sp2.docx without copying any formatting and have not had an issue since.  I've tried to recreate the error, but could not.  I am quite certain this solved my file permission error.  Look into the formatting of the files you are having trouble with.  There might be a connection which is stopping the file save.  Hope it helps you guys.  Let me know.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I found that by turning off the Outlook feature that uses Word as its default editor, solved the problem. However, there are many reasons why I and my users would want to continue using Word as their Outlook default editor.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:34 PM
  • While I am late to this party, this problem is a WORD problem.  I have Office 2007 installed on an XP machine behind a great firewall used only internally, therefor contains no anti virus, and never has.  This machine is very clean with only the OS, office and RDP installed.  When I try to save sub documents in Word, I receive this error "Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error".  The file being saved is some microsoft created file on my C drive, having no apparent connection to my master or sub documents.

This is clearly a bug in Word and an indication Microsfot does a poor job of testing their software.  Because Microsoft is providing both the operating system and the Word software, there is no excuse for these types of errors.  I am now forced to abandon my use of subdocuments with word, or move to another work processor.  This software is unreliable.

Why should users put up with this lack of concern for product quality?  What should I recomend to my clients?  Should I start moving people to Linux and Open Office?

I would like to see Microsoft put a little more money in product quality.  Every time I encounter an error such as this that prevents me from using my computer as advertised, I think I need to find a non-Microsoft solution.  Come on Microsoft, get your act together!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:37 PM
  • GsBear,

Yes, it's always been a Word problem, but it's also always created by interacting with something else on the PC, various antivirus products are simply the most common but not the only cause.

The problem isn't really in Word itself, since if it were it would happen to everyone and there are literally millions of users of Word 2007 and only a relative handful of users who experience this issue.  Blasting about it will get you absolutely nowhere, since most people will simply ignore you.  You might want to try going to the correct support forum for Microsoft Office 2007 rather than complaining in forums for software you don't even have.

If you have always experienced this problem with this PC, I'd look for built-in software, especially those used for remote management or monitoring whether produced by the PC vendor or others.  If it just started recently, then think about what new software or updates have recently been installed and try backing them out if possible to test.  Unlike some others here it sounds as if your problem is easily reproducible, so it may be easier for you to test than for some others.

For a quick confirmation, try using MSConfig to start the PC with only the minimum software operating and see if the problem goes away, then add them back in small groups and eventually one at a time to discover the offending software.  Once you know where the conflict lies, finding a solution will be much less difficult.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Nope, I have to agree with GsBear -- this problem has been widely reported and widely ignored by Microsoft, which really has been MS's MO since Win 3.0:  Ignore the problem and hope folks figure out a workaround or focus on the next version of the software and hope the problem goes away.  I remember being on the phone with Microsoft in 1994 (before they s---canned their support staff) about the inability to network a CD-ROM due to Windows' buggy driver.  The tech told me they were aware of the problem, but had no plans to fix the driver because the next iteration of NT was about to be fielded, and people could just buy NT to get the networking capability.

Moreover, I think it's extraordinarily poor form to point at the person who is experiencing the problem and grousing about whether they posted their problem in the right place or not.  If Microsoft gave a rip about its customers (or its products), users wouldn't be forced to comb through user forums for a DIY solution in the first place.  Instead, Microsoft would work to resolve the problem.  But, as I've seen over the years, resolving problems just isn't profitable when people are going to buy your product regardless -- the real cash is to be made in simply fielding new versions of the software.

GsBear:  I was able to resolve this problem by converting my drives from FAT to NTFS.  The problem only surfaced after an XP automatic update.  IMHO, this is a Word problem compounded by Microsoft's "we don't care" attitude.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:51 AM
  • Yoshi2009,

This is a peer support forum (other users) NOT Microsoft Support, especially NOT for any product other than Windows Live OneCare.  Whether you like it or not, you should attempt to ask your questions in an appropriate place.  If you don't you will never find a useful solution, which is likely why you had so much trouble finding one yourself.

As for your solution of converting the FAT filing system to NTFS, that's one of the most basic things required by all current software, so it makes sense.  Though I've seen this exact problem myself in the ancient past (several years ago) I've never had it on any system I support since that time, probably because I keep all of my systems and drivers current and clean of other AV product leftovers.

The tiny numbers of these complaints (anything less than thousands is tiny in terms of a product like Office) means that the problems are virtually guaranteed to be a simple driver or other conflict and not an Office/Word problem at all.  For this reason it's not likely they will ever be resolved within Word, since the real problem is something messed up in the filing system and/or drivers of the individual PC having the problem.

If it isn't something obvious like using the outdated FAT filing system, my post above tells how to troubleshoot these types of issues.  I've never wasted my time contacting Microsoft Office Support about this issue, since all they can do is walk me through exactly the same set of steps I've already described, though that might be useful for those who don't have a background in technical trouble-shooting.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:10 AM

• Hi.
    I recently came up with this error myself. I work at a global corporation, so I don't have any control over the anti-virus software and whatnot.

I googled the error message and found this post. As I have read through, I understand that this is an issue with MS Word, and it seems to show up more often with certain programs running.

But I also wanted to let everyone know that I was able to work around this by doing "Save As" and modifying the name slightly, i.e. checklist 7-6-09 to checklist 7-6-09_2. Saved the document just fine. Once I delete the document I was trying to overwrite, I can rename the file if the file name is all that critical.

Just a helpful hing until the real solution shows up from MS.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 6:14 PM