none
Increase character limit in notes - description field

Question

• I am receiving an error that I have exceed the 100,000 character limit in the description field of the Notes entity. Is there anyway to increase this? The notes entity is not customizable and I attempted to export it as a solution but I can't seem to find where it defines the character limit in the code.

We are trying to move all the old notes from our legacy system into the CRM as one note. The old system had one giant notes field where all notes were inserted. And we were hoping to just manually copy/paste over those notes into 1 CRM note.

Thanks for any help,

-Trevor

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:22 PM

All replies

• Sometimes it's worth exploring the requirement and really determining the value of solving the requirement before spending a lot of effort finding and implementing a solution. So in this situation, I'd ask:

1. How many pages is 100,000 characters, and how many pages of notes do users find really useful?
    2. How often do users refer to notes from many years ago?
    3. If we had to split the legacy note into one or more CRM notes, would that be acceptable?

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Splitting up the notes just adds additional time to the process of people manually moving over notes, but it will probably be something that just has to be dealt with. While the entirety of the notes may not be useful it is not effective to read through 20+ years of notes on a single client, when we have over a 1000 clients. Many of which have been clients over for over 10 years. Just checking the first 20 or so current client accounts every one of them was over 100,000 characters. And this just addresses the current clients legacy database. We also have a non client database with well over 10,000 accounts. The notes are very important to our support staff, implementation staff, sales staff, etc. History of an account is important. And again while not all of the notes are important and would need to be copied over, the format in which they were first saved does not make it easy to determine which notes are important and which aren't. Thus the direction to move them all.

We initially were going to leave the legacy system but now a year into the project management is changing their minds that we don't want to have to reference another database. Luckily I'll be assigning the manual moving of notes to other people but I just wanted to check to see if there wasn't a way to increase the limit and even try an import.

Thanks,
    Trevor

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:35 PM
  • if there is no option on the registry, you may find a parameter on the xml of the exported entity

There is a MaxLength property for the Description attribute

if none of this works, it may be a limit you can't pass

Saturday, July 13, 2013 4:27 AM
  • Hi,
    a text note inside CRM that uses more than 100,000 characters in my opinion is useless, for the following reasons:

1. It's equivalent to a 15+ pages document
    2. You have no easy way to find something inside the note
    3. The textbox inside CRM is too small for all that text, I will feel pain only using the scrollbars

Did you consider to import these notes as a text/document attachment? for example you can put the first 1000 characters inside the description and the complete text inside a .txt file (or a .doc file) created automatically when you imports the notes from your legacy system.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net

Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:17 AM
  • I wouldnt import such a giant note field. Imagine how the users will work with it... No one would read through.

I would import newest paragraph, or newest 1-2000 chars into a regular description field and the rest as an Word or .txt attachment...

Jan

Monday, July 15, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Hi,
    There is no supported way to increase the length of the notetext field in Notes entity.
    If you are using the on-promise CRM, then there is an unsupported way to increase the length of the notetext field in Notes entity
    Try below SQL update in CRM DB, it will increase the notetext length to 200000. 

UPDATE AttributeView
    SET MAXLENGTH = 200000
    WHERE Name ='notetext'

Chandan - http://mscrm-chandan.blogspot.in/ I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful !!!

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:50 AM