geting error message to activate windows...

Question

• I am getting an error message that says...The copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate windows now? I have read many answers to fix this error message...I tried to boot up in safe mode with command prompt and entered rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk and immediately got another error message saying, error in syssetup Missing entry:SetupOobe.Bnk.....PLEASE HELP... I did try entering the above in run as well..didn't do anything...Thank you in advance for any help with this...I appreciate it..
    Friday, July 08, 2011 6:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Friday, July 08, 2011 6:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you Carey for your quick response...I clicked the link but I didn't see anything there that is different than what I have already tried...I booted in safe mode with prompt and entered rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk and immediately got another error message saying, error in syssetup Missing entry:SetupOobe.Bnk..... I also booted in safe mode and clicked on Start and Run, typed in the exact same thing but the screen didn't do anything..rebooted and is giving me the same message....
    Friday, July 08, 2011 7:39 PM
  • You'll need to perform a in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, July 08, 2011 7:50 PM
    Answerer
  • I would have already done this, but the problem I am having is I don't have a cd to re-install it...thanks again Carey...I appreciate your help 
    Friday, July 08, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Friday, July 08, 2011 8:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you Carey, but your references to Microsoft's website aren't helping me at all....all I want to know is why am I getting this error message and if there is a way to fix it...I know how order a cd but don't feel I should have to pay for one when I paid for it once which was preloaded on my system...unfortunately, Microsoft stopped sending the cd's with new computers which can lead consumers to where I am right now...very frustrated...Thanks again....I appreciate all of the links... I do have a key for the one that came with the system but that  is no good to me...

Friday, July 08, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Would you please share with us your solution ,after all this years ^^
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:20 PM
  • Would you please share with us your solution ,after all this years ^^

There is no sense in posting in a thread that is 2 1/2 years old.  Please create your own new thread if you are having activation issues.  There is a thread with the instructions for this that is aptly called: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.

At any rate, here are those instructions:

MGA Diagnostic Report:

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop -http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.
    Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.

One Issue Per Thread:

Most Activation and Validation issues look the same, on the surface, but can have many different causes and fixes. This is why we ask for a diagnostic report and this is also why we ask that you create your own thread for your issue (in other words, don't post your issue in another person's thread). 

It just becomes too complicated to try to troubleshoot multiple different issues in the same thread.

New to the Forums?

Note that if you are new to these forums, you may find that you are unable to post due to a restriction on the inclusion of links and pictures.
    Simply delete the only lines that contain links -  this will allow the remainder of the report to upload (and those lines are not generally critical to the report anyhow)

Thank you,

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:24 PM
  • Locking thread to prevent further confusion.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 9:21 PM