Questions on Live Mesh Performance and Limitations...

Question

• I would like to replace rdist(incremental file sync tool), logmein(like simple RDC) and syncback (ftp tool) with live mesh. So I have a few questions:

1. What are limitations on how many folders can be synced between two computers and what is the file size limit for sync?

2. Does the sync algorithm do incrementatl sync or a full file sync? does it compress data before sending it via wire?

3. Between two machines on a LAN will it slow down because syncing has to go via the internet?

Thanks
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:54 PM

Answers

• For question number one:
    -Size of all contents in a single Live Folder: 10GB (5GB quota for Live Desktop all folders)
    -Individual file size: 2GB
    -Items (file or folders) per Live Folder: 100,000
    -Members per Live Folder: 200
    -Number of Live Folders per user: 200
    -Number of devices per user: 100

2. Synchronization is full file sync at this time, not incremental.
    3. Peer to Peer sync does not need to go to the Internet if the PCs are on the same local LAN segment.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, August 31, 2009 12:21 PM

All replies

• For question number one:
    -Size of all contents in a single Live Folder: 10GB (5GB quota for Live Desktop all folders)
    -Individual file size: 2GB
    -Items (file or folders) per Live Folder: 100,000
    -Members per Live Folder: 200
    -Number of Live Folders per user: 200
    -Number of devices per user: 100

2. Synchronization is full file sync at this time, not incremental.
    3. Peer to Peer sync does not need to go to the Internet if the PCs are on the same local LAN segment.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, August 31, 2009 12:21 PM
  • Hmmm ... just as a side note.  Last night, I converted a desktop folder to a Mesh folder ... I attempted to create a folder with the same name as the folder I wanted to move into Mesh.  Mesh was smart enough to prompt me - warning me I was about to "merge" a folder with Mesh.  Cool!

The folder has 13,447 Files and 1,210 folders ... 3.02GB.  I was thinking "Cool!  I'm off to bed it'll be done in the morning!"

Mesh has crashed twice ... locked up a third time, and 12 hours later is not even close to being done ... not a single file copied.  In fact, the file list is still not completed ... and the two laptops being sync'd with that folder are next to each other on GigE ...

This is the largest one-time Mesh sync that I have done all at once, and it's failing badly.  All of my use of Mesh up to this point has been incredible ... and worked great.

But in this example ... Mesh is falling down badly ...  :-(
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Having the folder on the Desktop should not be an issue, however, I'd try this with the source and destination folders elsewhere on the PCs.
    Before doing that, a bug report with logs would be good:
    How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Personally, the way that I'd handle such a large amount of data with Mesh or any Sync would be to manually copy the data from one PC to the other adn *then* add the source folder from one PC to the Mesh and when it is offered to the destination PC, select the destination location for the merge. That would have it scan first, but no data would need to be copied. Additionally, if you do not want the folder to be synchronized with the cloud, you need to specify that or the data will try to upload there first and if you smack into the quota limit, it may cause an issue. I'm not sure what will or should happen in that latter case, but I'd configure the folder to be P2P only before finding out. ;-)
    -steve

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Yes ... I did remove the Live Desktop from the mix at the very beginning ... I knew that would be trouble.

I hadn't tried to copy and then merge, since my objective was to NOT have to do that!  I'm using this as a dual-intention:

1) I'm migrating between laptops
    2) Wanted to get my core working files into Mesh

My "end-user expectation" was that I could do this last night, and wake up and have the files moved ...  :-)

It's now mostly done ... it did kick into high-gear for a short while ... now is barely generating traffic.  I'm a little worried about the sync though .... since the folder file counts are no correct:

Source:  13,447 Files, 1,210 Folders
    Dest:  13,402 Files, 1,210 Folders

How do I find why I am missing 45 files?  And which ones they are?  And why?

All of the placeholders appear to be there ... except these 45 ...

BTW - is there ANY way to get some activity monitor to know what the heck it's doing?

• Edited by Humancell Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:57 PM Added question
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:56 PM
  • The desire to have some nice activity monitoring has been expressed by others. You can submit/vote on suggestions per the instructions here:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

Is it possible that the 45 missing files are files that are not of an allowed type for Live Mesh sync? See the details on that here:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/ed5676d9-59a4-4203-9191-d7f0d72f467b

-steve

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Well ... that was a good start ... I found all but 9 files ... thumbs.db ...

Now, I went through the rest of the list, and searched ... found no other exceptions per their list.  How can I get a list of the excpetions?  Or find them?  :-/
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:59 PM
  • I'm not aware of any list created that says - don't sync this specific file, though it is probably part of the catalog maintained by Live Mesh to keep track of the status of all files in the Meshed folder(s).
    -steve
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 12:15 AM
  • Will the number of "Live Folders" increase ever?  currently its at 200

thanks

Sunday, January 02, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Will the number of "Live Folders" increase ever?  currently its at 200

thanks

If you mean Live Mesh beta, no. It will no longer function after the end of March 2011.

If you mean Windows Live Mesh - 

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, January 03, 2011 3:30 PM