none
Useable space

Question

• Hello all,

I am a fresh and new member to this beta so I am looking for some advice from the more seasoned testers before I take the plunge!

I have just finished downloading the ISO's this morning and will be looking to give this a whirl soon.

I currently use an Epia 800 with 512mb of ram with 3x300gb ide drives running Windows Server 2003 to give me around 530gb of software RAID 5 capacity (all full up now!)

I have just purchased 3x500gb SATA drives and a 4 port SATA PCI card that I was going to use to create a new 900gb Windows RAID 5 array and migrate my data into that.  Luckily, I got accepted to this beta on the same day as my new toys arrived and I am now looking into migrating my data into WHS

I am hoping to use the same kit for my WHS trial, am I correct in thinking that I will get a maximum useable storage capacity of 750gb, with the folder duplication service running?

Also, this leaves me with a problem in migrating my data, is there any way I can mount my exisiting RAID 5 set from within WHS, or should I be moving this array onto a diffrent machine then copying the data across my network?

Thanks in advance for any input that anyone can provide me with.

Friday, March 02, 2007 9:05 AM

All replies

• There was a thread yesterday that Ken answered that was virtually identical to this.  The answer was yes - you can mount the RAID array *after* you've installed WHS on another drive.  During the install, WHS will wipe whatever disk you give it to intall on.  I believe if you have the disk you want to migrate *to* added to the storage pool and you mount the RAID array, it will show up as a disk.  From there you can copy from the array to the storage pool via \\Server\Music, Photos, etc from the desktop shortcuts.  Do *not* copy directly to the d:\data area.  That's a bad idea.  Ken can verify if that's correct ...

- Jim

Friday, March 02, 2007 12:30 PM
  • I'm not sure that WHS would even be able to see your software RAID 5 (note: software RAID is different than hardware RAID, which is accessed through the SCSI subsystem in most cases), so your best bet would be to migrate the data off the array before you install, then back onto the WHS later. If you can't do that, pull the array and put it in another machine that can see it. But don't be too surprised if you have problems as a result.

Regarding available space after all is said and done, WHS includes a technology called Drive Extender, which handles the storage pool for you. Drive Extender is in charge of migrating newly copied files onto disks in the storage pool, balancing the disks and making sure that files in duplicated folders exist on more than one disk. The amount of free space you would have once you've got all your disks in the system is probably on the order of 2 TB, but that depends on a lot of factors.
    Friday, March 02, 2007 12:43 PM