none
How can I redirect the file location for SyncToy .DAT files?

Question

• I've seen only a couple other threads about this, but they are extremely old and never seemed to be fully resolved.  I use two hard disk drives.  The C:/ drive is for System and Program files, and the D:/ drive is for the data and working files that are constantly changing.  My goal is to keep the system drive free of large files that would slow the read and load times of the system and programs.  It's a simple thing to move other large data files, such as "My Documents", Quickbooks Data, Adobe Media Cache, Outlook .PST files, etc, etc, etc.  I've recently noticed that SyncToy is my next great culprit in placing LARGE .DAT on the system (C:/) drive.  SyncToy currently has more than 3GB of .DAT files stored on the system drive.  When a file is over 250MB it's time to go!  To the data (D:/) drive, that is.

I understand it is not a good idea to simply move these files manually (cut + paste).  So my question is:  How can I instruct SyncToy to relocate it's storage location for .DAT files?

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:06 PM