none
Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU

Question

• Hi,

A COA that says "Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU" means that it is for a machine with 1 or 2 processors (CPUs) not that it can be installed on 1 or 2 machines, correct?

I've been scouring the internet looking for a definitive answer from Microsoft on this and I couldn't find one. I've found a few forums where they state as much but I'd prefer to get my information straight from the horse's mouth. If you could link me to a Microsoft article that says as much I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Shane

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:05 PM

Answers

All replies

•  shaneyhole wrote:

Hi,

A COA that says "Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU" means that it is for a machine with 1 or 2 processors (CPUs) not that it can be installed on 1 or 2 machines, correct?

I've been scouring the internet looking for a definitive answer from Microsoft on this and I couldn't find one. I've found a few forums where they state as much but I'd prefer to get my information straight from the horse's mouth. If you could link me to a Microsoft article that says as much I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Shane

That is correct.  If you have one Windows XP license, it can only be installed on one computer.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:39 PM
  • That is not exactly what I’m asking. There is a misconception that "Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU" COA can be used for two separate computers. What I need is a LINK to a Microsoft site that disproves this. As I said, I've found a few forums that say as much but I need proof directly from Microsoft that says different.

Thank you,

Shane
    Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:18 PM
  • The term "1-2CPU" simply means Windows XP Professional can be installed on a computer having either one (1) or two (2) physical processors. Windows XP Home Edition can only be installed on a computer having just one (1) physical processor. Visit: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx  and look under "Scalable processor support".
    Wednesday, July 26, 2006 2:58 PM
  • j ai un windows defectueux
    Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:35 PM
  • That doesn't still answer the question.

Microsoft official documentation regarding it's licensing, procedures and restrictions is extremely spotty and it's very hard to find official easy-to-understand answers to some common questions and misconceptions. Or if you find one, you can't find the actual license text that says the same thing. In many cases the documentation has a bad case of 'It's like this, because we say it's like this. We don't have to explain ourselves to you, peon'.

'Pro 1-2CPU' on the sticker is one of these. Nowhere you can find clear explanation with quotes of the license terms that spell out why you can't install it to two computers. Buy another license.

OEM copies and repairing/upgrading PCs (motherboard swap) is another. It's a new PC because Microsoft says it's a new PC. Buy another license.

Third one that comes to mind is the lack of clear procedures in cases where you say your license is legit, and MS/WGA/Product activation says it isn't. Playing hold-transfer games with MS phone support and/or your system builder's support for a day or two is not my idea of 'clear procedure', especially when most people you reach will just say 'go buy a new license' (or 'talk to your manufacturer', who says 'talk to MS', and you go around in nice circles).

MS seems to have no burden of proof when they just decide to say your license is no good because they say so - and suing over a 100$ OS license is somewhat silly and expensive. Buy another license.

In every case, the first MS solution is 'Buy another license', and you have to hop thru many hoops to get any other answer - even if you are right and MS is wrong (which naturally depends on the exact case).

Friday, July 28, 2006 2:22 PM
  • Go to Start > Run and type:  WINVER  , and press the Enter key.  Then click on "End-User License Agreement".

1. GRANT OF LICENSE.

Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

Friday, July 28, 2006 4:17 PM