none
Unable to install Windows Home Server Connector

Question

•  

I've been successfully running WHS since it released and have had no problems with the connector software.

I recently rebuilt one of my home machines and went to install the connector software and I'm getting "This operation cannot be completed at this time" after typing in the home server password.

I searched and went through as many articles on multiple sites and I haven't been able to come up with a resolution.

I've tried:

• Disconnecting from the DSL modem
    • Checked firewall settings on the local machine, WHS, and router
    • Installed Power Pack 1
      • This required me to update the connector software on another machine, and now it exibits the same behavior as the first.
    • Re-installed the Windows Home Server* components by running the umcenroll* executables in the c:\whs folder.  (The article I read called for me to uninstall these from Add/Remove Programs, but uninstall is not available for any of these components).
    • Numerous reboots of clients, server, router, and modem.

The two variables that I have found:

1. I recently replaced my router with a WRT610N from Linksys
    2. https://<server>:56000/enroll/id.xml fails, the page cannot be displayed.  This also won't resolve from the WHS machine either.

So, before I go through the mess of re-installing, I thought I'd try a post.

Help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:27 PM

Answers

• I found this in a bug on Connect, it fixed me.

This error is from a crypto utility in windows.

1. Go to the "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\" folder.
    2. Right Click on the MachineKeys folder and select Properties
    3. Click the Security tab.
    4. Click on "Advanced" button
    5. Go to the permissions tab and make sure that for Administrators and Everyone the "CreateFiles / Write Data" and "Create Folders / Append Data" are marked "Allow" and the "Apply onto" dropdown box is set to "This folder, subfolders and files" for both.

That fixed me.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:43 PM

All replies

•  

I'm glad its not just me... I have this EXACT same issue!

I upgraded my router from a speedtouch 585 to a different one thinking the router was the issue but I still cant access the home server on port 56000... Eben from the home server itself...

Most frustrating!

Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:33 AM
  •  Graham Whitehouse wrote:

I upgraded my router from a speedtouch 585 to a different one thinking the router was the issue but I still cant access the home server on port 56000... Eben from the home server itself...

Most frustrating!

Have both of you checked your firewall on the server?  If so, you should have 2 listings for HTTP (ports 80 and 55000) and for HTTPS (ports 443 and 56000).  Do you have all of those listed?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 1:38 PM
  • I posted this same issue a couple of days ago.  No one seems to be able to help.  I didn't change anything on my network except install PP1.  All the same hardware. 

At least you got some comments...

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3663762&SiteID=50
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Note that to get to the correct page on the Server, the entry should be: http://server:55000/  this will take you to the help page, where the latest version is.

Colin

Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:38 PM
  • That doesn't work for me.  Does IIS need to be started on the WHS for this to work?  I can't get IIS to start.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:32 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

Graham Whitehouse wrote:

Most frustrating!

Have both of you checked your firewall on the server?  If so, you should have 2 listings for HTTP (ports 80 and 55000) and for HTTPS (ports 443 and 56000).  Do you have all of those listed?

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I ran all the steps in the troubleshooting doc and my firewall settings are correct.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:40 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Note that to get to the correct page on the Server, the entry should be: http://server:55000/  this will take you to the help page, where the latest version is.

Colin

Thanks Colin.  According to the Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooting document found at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=42426d83-2c54-446e-86ed-e3e9e7e33a98&displayLang=en

part of the firewall troubleshooting steps is to attempt to connect to https://<YourServerName>:56000/enroll/id.xml This results in "Page cannot be displayed" for me.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:45 PM
  • I get the same...

Firewall is configured correctlty, IIS is configures correctly...

I have seen this issue before (not on WHS but on another secure site) and it related to certificates! I have found a few posts on the net showing how to re-install the certificate enrollment but PP1 stops you being able to uninstall them...

I can hit port 55000, 80 and 443 without issue! Its just 56000!

Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Ric,

If you cannot get IIS to run, it sounds as though you have more fundamental problems.

Do your server logs show any error messages, if not, it sounds as though you need to do a server re-install.

WesLa,

Yes, the 5600 gives a different page. The 5500 page gives in effect a 'help' page, with a link to the latest Connector Software, a Toolkit link etc.

For a Clients' firewall, the following ports are used:

Service or Protocol

Ports

Scope

HTTP

TCP 55000

Subnet

HTTPS

TCP 56000

Subnet

Windows Home Server Computer Backup

TCP 8912

Subnet

Windows Home Server Transport Service

TCP 1138

Subnet

Colin

Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:50 PM
  • I now see what the problem is!

To connect on the secure 56000 port, there must be a certificate installed on the "WHS Site" in IIS on the WHS. Since PP1 was installed, the site has lost its certificate and therefore wont allow any connections on the secure port!

Or at least thats what I think it is...

I tried importing the certic=ficate from the default web site, which gave me some success (meaning I could actually connect to port 56000) but this is the wrong certificate and the connector still fails.

How can I re-install the certificate on the "WHS Site"? Should there be one or is this a red herring?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Have you checked your server certificates? you can examine them in IE, click on Certificate Error, View Certificates, Details; you'll see that it's valid for 3 names: your server name, your homeserver.com dynamic name, and localhost.

It's possible you could then export the certificate  from your server and importing it into your certificate store on your Client. This should then make your client a trusted root certificate.

Colin

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Hmm, well, there was some progress in the cert for me.  The cert was there, but wasn't "assigned".  I ran the wizard and assigned the cert and now can browse to homeserver via port 56000, however the connector software still fails in the same manner.

I am now getting an error in the event log on the home server:

Failed to issue certificate CD9F283DEAE4F4213890B5B98138E7595 with error code 0.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:17 PM
  •  

As if our problems are now somewhat intertwined, I get the same problem!

This is so damn frustrating... why does the connector software even need to run on a secure port when its on an internal network??? It just seems like overkill...

Anyway, come on guys :-) port 56000 now works BUT the certificates arent being issued correctly to the connector software... Why??? :-)

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:34 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Have you checked your server certificates? you can examine them in IE, click on Certificate Error, View Certificates, Details; you'll see that it's valid for 3 names: your server name, your homeserver.com dynamic name, and localhost.

It's possible you could then export the certificate  from your server and importing it into your certificate store on your Client. This should then make your client a trusted root certificate.

Colin

Hi Colin

I tried this on the client with no success...

Cheers

Graham

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Not sure if I'm in the same soup, but I think so.  After installing PP1, one client updated just fine, the other crashes out with the message that "This operation cannot be completed at this time".  Here's the account I posted on an HP-specific site:

No problem updating the server with Power Pack 1 and my first (Vista 32 Ultimate) client system with the new connector software. BUT I can't update the client software on the second client system (XP sp 3). The tray icon indicates "A connector update is available", but when I click on the icon and attempt to log in to the Server, no dice: "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network and make sure your home server is powered on." The network is fine, the home server is powered on, and client 1 is still happily connected using the new connector software that installed without a hitch. The backup of client 2 went fine last night so I wasn't aware of any problem before installing PP1. I can access the server shares. I browsed successfully to \\<myserver>\Software\Home Server Connector Software and clicked on the icon to run WHSConnectorInstall.exe. It started doing its thing: "Please wait while home server is located" and then splat: "This operation cannot be completed at this time. [If this problem persists,] contact Product Support" (which wants $80 to talk). I have consulted the September 2007 "Troubleshooting Windows Home Server Connector Installation" bulleting from Microsoft. This document addresses two types of problems: firewalls interference, and name resolution issues. It says, in most situations, if you can ping your home server from a home computer, name resolution is working fine. I have no trouble pinging <myserver> and getting 4 successful pings from client 1 or client 2. The firewall information is somewhat more obscure. Bear in mind that everything worked perfectly yesterday so far as I am aware and there have been no changes to any firewalls that I am aware of; I don't think the new McAfee Security that I installed with the HP update last night functions in any way as a firewall. However, I have tried to run through the diagnostics suggested by Microsoft. I get <ID>1</ID> rather than <ID>2</ID> when I enter https://<myserver>:56000/enroll/id.xml and I don't get any prompt for a user name and password. I am running out of ideas. I have taken the server down and brought it back up. I have thrown salt over my left shoulder.

I've been delving into certificates but can't find documentation that gives me much confidence that I won't make things worse.  Right now I have one client and the server working just fine; things could be worse! 

Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:01 AM
  • You are lucky!  My Vista Ultimate can't install the new connector.  Installing PP1 apparently hosed the server to the point of reinstallation.  And yet so many users here had no problems whatsoever!  I don't get it...
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 2:39 PM
  •  Ric Dexter wrote:
    You are lucky!  My Vista Ultimate can't install the new connector.  Installing PP1 apparently hosed the server to the point of reinstallation.  And yet so many users here had no problems whatsoever!  I don't get it...

Did you have any add-ins/apps installed on your server?  Perhaps one of those caused the problem.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Instead of going to the <server:5600>, have you tried using http://server:55000/ as this 'should' take to a help page which has a link to the Connector software, Toolkit etc.

Colin

Sunday, July 27, 2008 2:55 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Instead of going to the <server:5600>, have you tried using http://server:55000/ as this 'should' take to a help page which has a link to the Connector software, Toolkit etc.

Colin

Hi Colin

Yeah 55000 works fine. The toolkit says I there is a problem connecting on the secure port...

If we had an idea of what the connector is looking for it might be quite useful... As far as I know, the connector uses ports 55000 and 56000. What is the requirement for the 56000 connection? What I mean is how can I find out (in detail) why its failing?

Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:05 PM
  • The only add-in installed is the Microsoft Home Server Toolkit.  I have Avast Antivirus for Windows Home Server, Outlook 2007, Epson print and scan drivers, Microsoft Activesync for a Dell PocketPC, Firefox and your usual assortment of stuff like Adobe Reader and Flash player.
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Well, it's a security issue somewhere, as the 55000 port is standard HTTP, while the 56000 is HTTPS.

COLIN 

Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Whats the best way to escalate this to MS?

Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:00 PM
  • My problems were solved by going to Aaron Stebner's blog and running his reset.cmd which runs subinacl to repair permissions on a whole universe of registry entries and system files.  (This incidentally cured my increasingly common IE script errors.)  Aaron's reset.cmd took an hour to run.   You must back up your registry before you run it.  It won't help if your problem is really a firewall or name resolution issue as described in Msoft's "Troubleshooting Windows Home Server Connector Installation."  It is strictly for dealing with permissions-related problems.

Aaron's blog can be found at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:13 PM
  •  Graham Whitehouse wrote:
    Whats the best way to escalate this to MS?

By filing a bug report on Connect.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 11:52 PM

1. Go to the "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\" folder.
    5. Go to the permissions tab and make sure that for Administrators and Everyone the "CreateFiles / Write Data" and "Create Folders / Append Data" are marked "Allow" and the "Apply onto" dropdown box is set to "This folder, subfolders and files" for both.

That fixed me.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:43 PM
  •  WesLa wrote:

I found this in a bug on Connect, it fixed me.

That fixed me.

You are a FLIPPING GENIOUS mate!

Works a treat. I thought it was game over, but my server has become useful again!

Well done

Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Same issue here, odd thing is that my Vista box which is my primary, and how I remotely accessed before WHS is the only one that works. I did not even upgrade connector after installing PP1 from the beta version. I cannot figure this out after at least 15 attempted workarounds. Very frustrating since all backups have halted on my network, otherwise I don't really use the software on the other computers.

Friday, August 01, 2008 1:17 PM
  • Anybody have any other ideas on this issue? I still get "This operation cannot be completed at this time" error message.

I am able to access the /homeserver:55000 web page just fine. But when I click on the link to download the connector software, the link that points to //homeserver:55000/setup/WHSConnectorInstall.exe, I get HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to an ACL set on the requested resource.

This is driving me nuts. Any help would be great.

Oh, this is WinXP Pro SP3.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:32 PM
  • Have you installed any add-ins on your server (these would be through the console)? Made any changes to file or folder permissions? Installed software on your server other than add-ins (therefore using remote desktop or a physically connected keyboard/video/mouse)? Made other configuration changes to your server outside of the console (i.e. remote desktop again)?

It would be best if you posted a new thread for your issue; this one has been marked as "answered", and your issue may not be the same as the OP's.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, November 14, 2008 3:50 PM more info and an additional suggestion.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 3:49 PM
  • I just ended up uninstalling the Connector software and reinstalling it by manually browsing to the Connector setup files on the server and running the Setup.exe. It seems to be fine now.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Hiya Guys

I am having the same issue as many people here with getting the connector software in discover my server. I have tried all the solutions suggested but with no success. I am running WHS on my main pc wired and am i trying to install connector on my laptop running vista home premium wireless. The connector software gets to the point of searching for my server but fails so i clicked advanced and entered my server name but this still fails. The self tests within the server console where it tests the router for UPnP and remote access and other things all works. As i have said i have tried all the solutions that i have come across including accessing these which were all successful:

http://SERVER:55000/enrollid/id.xml Successful

http://SERVER:55000/enrollid/id.aspx Successful

https://SERVER:56000/enrollid/id.xml Successful

I have been able to ping my WHS machine but the only thing that has failed is the nslookup <SERVERNAME> This shows my ISP information and the IP address does not match. I have been unable to change this am i am not sure how to to be honest. If anyone could help me with this issue or any other assistance you could offer would be great. I really do understand the headaches everyone here is having.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:07 AM
  • sprog319 - I had the same problem - connector software could not find my server.  If I pinged my server IP and server name the IP address returned was different.  On my dlink 655 router, the "Enable Advanced DNS Service" was checked.  Once I unchecked it, the pinged server IP and server name returned the same IP address.  After that, I was able to install the connector software.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:07 AM

That fixed me.

This worked great for me too - thank you!!  The only issue I had was that the "Microsoft" folder was under "All Users".  There is an "Application Data" folder there too, but I could not get access to it.  Also, when I tried to save the new permissions I got an error dialog box which sounded bad, but I just said OK and everything worked fine.  I am running Windows 7 which may be the cause of these differences. 
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Just an FYI. I've had the same sort of issues that have been mentioned in this thread, and tried a lot of the things that were mentioned.

What ended up working for me is a) running the ConnectorTroubleshooter through the command prompt with the -a flag and using the "Run All Tests". I was able to go to http://server:55000, but not to http://server:55000/enrollid/hint.aspx. So b) was to remote desktop into the server (via another computer), opening up IIS and go to the properties for that website. Under the ASP.Net tab, I noticed that EnrollId was running 1.x. I changed this to 2.x, and also the Enroll website.

After changing both of these, I was able to connect to http://server:55000/enrollid/hint.aspx. I then re-ran the restore on the PC, and was not able to connect.

Friday, October 22, 2010 10:15 AM