none
windows xp activation

Question

•  

hi,

i have had no previous problems with windows xp and the windows activation for the last 3 years. However when i started up my laptop the other day, after logging in, but before the windows taskbar was displayed it says that windows has not been activated within the time period. I clicked yes to activate windows now. then the windows product activation window appears and says that windows has already been activated and the only thing to press is ok. After pressing this it automatically logs you and takes you to the login screen for windows. i have tried pressing no and yes, and also tried booting in safe mode and have had no luck.

please can somebody help, any advice would be appreciated

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 7:33 PM

Answers

• Hello Dudelong,

Please follow the advice Lori provided and run the MGA diagnostic tool. Next provide us with the results here so we may analyze exactly what may be the root of your problem. Should the be a Windows Activation then we will have redirect you for more assistance becaue this forum was designed explicitely for WGA. 

I would like to say it appears you may have an activation looping situation. Some users, when they try to bring up the Product Activation window, the window either doesn't come up, comes up but displays a Fault Error,  comes up but the window is blank or they can't get to a point to bring up the window due to the Looping bug. 

If you are experiencing any of these issues, please see this post for a possible fix for your issue: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1322791&SiteID=25

If you are receiving the error "...the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded" while trying to Activation over the Internet, please see the below information: 

You are permitted to reinstall and activate XP as many times as you want to, as long as your use of XP maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  After a certain number of activations within a certain time period, automatic online activation will be suspended (This will also happen the first time you re-install and activate some OEM versions of Windows XP), which will require that you do a Telephone Activation. To do so, rerun the Activate Windows Wizard and select "Activate my product using the telephone".  Follow the phone prompts.

If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option.  The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If this is confirmed, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

Hopefully this will get you operational again but if not please provided us with the MGA results so we can see what is happening.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:09 AM

All replies

• dudelong,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Lori MS

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:57 PM
  • sorry, i canot download the diagnostic tool as windows will not allow be to log on in normal and safe mode, meaning i have to use my firends computer until i can resolve the problem

Friday, June 20, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Hello Dudelong,

Please follow the advice Lori provided and run the MGA diagnostic tool. Next provide us with the results here so we may analyze exactly what may be the root of your problem. Should the be a Windows Activation then we will have redirect you for more assistance becaue this forum was designed explicitely for WGA. 

I would like to say it appears you may have an activation looping situation. Some users, when they try to bring up the Product Activation window, the window either doesn't come up, comes up but displays a Fault Error,  comes up but the window is blank or they can't get to a point to bring up the window due to the Looping bug. 

If you are experiencing any of these issues, please see this post for a possible fix for your issue: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1322791&SiteID=25

If you are receiving the error "...the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded" while trying to Activation over the Internet, please see the below information: 

You are permitted to reinstall and activate XP as many times as you want to, as long as your use of XP maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  After a certain number of activations within a certain time period, automatic online activation will be suspended (This will also happen the first time you re-install and activate some OEM versions of Windows XP), which will require that you do a Telephone Activation. To do so, rerun the Activate Windows Wizard and select "Activate my product using the telephone".  Follow the phone prompts.

If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option.  The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If this is confirmed, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

Hopefully this will get you operational again but if not please provided us with the MGA results so we can see what is happening.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:09 AM