none
"Please wait while we prepare your files for download..."

Question

• When I download more than one file from WHS while off-site, WHS creates a zip file for download, which is a nice feature.While this file is being created, the message "Please wait while we prepare your files for download..." appears on the screen. However, after the download is completed, this message doesn't disappear and i have to close the browser, then log back into the server if I want to download more files. Is this a known issue? If not, how do I report it? Thanks
    Tuesday, December 04, 2007 5:52 PM

Answers

• I had this same problem on an XP Home machine using IE7. When I first set up WHS I did it at my uncle's house and I had to log out and log back in to get the message to go away. Needless to say I was not hopeful of a good future with WHS. I thought perhaps it was one of those, sometimes, weird interactions you get with windows networking because I was using both the connection software and trying to access the server remotely from the same machine. I can't prove it, but I think this was the case. After I took the WHS machine home and uninstalled the connection software from my uncle's computer, everything worked normally for him.

I have seen similar issues with windows boxes when people at work access their public files by going thru "My Network Places" rather than directly to the public folder. Windows will behave strangely when you go out to the net looking for a file stored on your own machine.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 1:23 AM

All replies

• What browser are you using? I can't recreate this with either Internet Explorer 7.0 or Firefox.
    Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:22 PM
  • I had this same problem on an XP Home machine using IE7. When I first set up WHS I did it at my uncle's house and I had to log out and log back in to get the message to go away. Needless to say I was not hopeful of a good future with WHS. I thought perhaps it was one of those, sometimes, weird interactions you get with windows networking because I was using both the connection software and trying to access the server remotely from the same machine. I can't prove it, but I think this was the case. After I took the WHS machine home and uninstalled the connection software from my uncle's computer, everything worked normally for him.

I have seen similar issues with windows boxes when people at work access their public files by going thru "My Network Places" rather than directly to the public folder. Windows will behave strangely when you go out to the net looking for a file stored on your own machine.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 1:23 AM
  • Hi Boaster,

We're aware of this issue and we'll try to fix it in the vNext. It does seem to be a real issue (not a fluke), but it happens very rarely. As a workaround, hitting back button and resubmitting the page should help, you shouldn't need to close the browser.

Thanks,

Eugene

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 4:37 AM
  • Thanks for getting back!
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007 5:28 AM
  • Just as an FYI, I've had this problem a LOT. It doesn't happen with small text files but mostly with .exe files. And I don't get the downloaded files at all. It's been happening on XP machines with IE7.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:30 AM
  •  

For what it's worth, I get this issue pretty consistently on IE 7.0.5730.11 running on XP Pro 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600.

I've probably seen it happen around 5 times out of around 10 times I've ever downloaded files. I have a vague feeling it happens more often when I download large zipped files.

Monday, January 07, 2008 1:00 AM
  • I have also experienced this problem, and large (50meg+, multiple music or video) files do not complete. I have tried downloading from different computers with the same results.

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Hi,

I have another problem. When I try to download (external) a DVD filemap (VOB files) it takes ages to prepare the files for download from the WHS server. When I select a AVI or a WMV file of 4Gigs or more the prepare box just pops up for a few seconds and then you can select iyou want to open the file or store it somewhere.

Anybody else have the same problems?? any solutions??

Thanks

Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:59 PM
  • I also have this problem.
    Running all the lastest updates of WHS.
    Running Vista 64 biz with all the updates on PC trying to get access to server.
    Lastest IE, Firefox both have problem.
    I can get around it by doing the back button - but the problem is that I don't know when the download is done.

Is there any update on this?
    Thursday, September 04, 2008 10:26 PM