none
HP MediaSmart EX490 + NetGear ReadyNAS DUO

Question

• Good Evening.

I have recently acquired a HP MediaSmart Home Server.  Using the only dcoumentation which came with the device, I connected the unit to my ADSL Wireless router.  This currenty has also wired connections to my PC [Vista] and a ReadyNAS DUO.  When I open the Windows Home Server Console Computers & Backups Tab, Only my PC is present - no ReadyNAS.  But logging onto the Server from my Vista Desktop using mstsc, the NAS appears within the Windows Explorer, Networks section.  I do not understand why the Server through windows sees the NAS but The Consol Does not.  I would appreciate any help you may be kind enough to offer [I'm not too hot at the network side of things hence my request for assistance]

Regards

Paul
    Monday, December 07, 2009 6:35 PM

Answers

• The console doesn't show it because A) it's not a PC (so it's not possible to install the Windows Home Server connector), and B) it's not a local hard drive, so it can't be used by the server for storage.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 07, 2009 6:50 PM

All replies

• The console doesn't show it because A) it's not a PC (so it's not possible to install the Windows Home Server connector), and B) it's not a local hard drive, so it can't be used by the server for storage.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Interesting, So no solution to the problem.  I do not understand why explorer on my Vista recognises it as a PC, And so to does the home server system when logged in through mstsc.  I guess since as you say I have not installed Home Server Connector then they may be an issue.  Wonder what would happen if I installed TwonkyMedia On The NAS. I'm totally out of my depth here....... 

Monday, December 07, 2009 6:59 PM
  • It shows up in Explorer because it has publicly accessible shares, and/or because it has a media sharing tool which Windows recognizes.

You certainly won't be able to install the connector on your NAS; it almost certainly runs some flavor of Linux under the hood. And you probably don't have remote access to a desktop or command line on your NAS to install software in general, so that would sort of let out Twonky as well...
    Monday, December 07, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Thank for you your assistance.  However the ReadyNAS does allow you to install "Add-ons" through its frontview interface.  Including Media streamers like Twonky, itunes, etc.... I'm sure it must be possible to enable Windows Home Server Console to see the ReadyNAS, how is another matter all together.  I will link up with the Netgear guys and see if they have any thoughts.

I guess however people stick to either one or the other, not both !!

Kind Regards, And Thank You for spending your time on my issue

Paul

Monday, December 07, 2009 7:42 PM
    I'm sure it must be possible to enable Windows Home Server Console to see the ReadyNAS, how is another matter all together.
    No, it's not possible. Windows Home Server won't include a network share in the storage pool, so you won't be able to see the drives in the ReadyNAS on the server storage tab, and the ReadyNAS runs a variety of Linux, so you will not be able to install the connector and see it on the Computers tab.

Monday, December 07, 2009 8:56 PM