Anti Virus 2009 is popping up and can't get rid of it

Question

• I am a subscriber of Windows Live One Care and have had no issues.  Yesterday the AntiVirus 2009 has started popping up everytime I log on an there are 2 icons in my start up tray for this.  I've tried removing them from my start up tray and when I rebooted, they came back.  Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:55 PM

Answers

• You can go to the task manager. (open by pressing ctrl+alt+delete)

End process the process name nearest to the name of the pop-up. If i can remember right it is AV09.exe

If you have successfully turned off the pop-up.

Go to the program files folder.

Delete the whole folder of that AntiVirus 2009.

Or you can contact support by following this FAQ.

How to reach support (FAQ) -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:15 PM

All replies

• You can go to the task manager. (open by pressing ctrl+alt+delete)

End process the process name nearest to the name of the pop-up. If i can remember right it is AV09.exe

If you have successfully turned off the pop-up.

Go to the program files folder.

Delete the whole folder of that AntiVirus 2009.

Or you can contact support by following this FAQ.

How to reach support (FAQ) -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:15 PM
  •  

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:41 PM
  • I have come across this problem with variations, one being antivirus 2008 and antivirus 2009, I have downloaded and installed Super Antispyware free edition, once installed and updated, ran complete scan and it picked it up right away to fix the problem. I have been told by several friends that got hit with it, they downloaded and installed super antispyware and updated it, ran complete scan and it picked up the rogue problem, and removed it after first scan. Hope this helps.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:59 PM
  • Hi!  I just want to say you are an absolute angel Wenskie.  I got Antivirus 2009 on my computer when I foolishly, and in a hurry, clicked for a free scan, thinking it was something to do with my AVG Free software.  Of course once it was on the computer I realised my mistake - it did a free scan then said I had 222 things wrong with my computer and I had to pay over $50 to get them fixed!  Every few minutes pop-ups came up saying I must licence the product which was on the computer or my computer would be destroyed by viruses. I went into Windows Explorer and found the file in Programs. I right clicked on it and pressed Delete but it said it could not be deleted.  This morning it actually tried to turn off my computer while I was working as it said I had a very dangerous virus and it was trying to save the computer.  Well, AVG and I have always got along very well and I have only had to put anything in my vault about twice this year and my computer is working fine so I do not believe all these viruses can have just appeared from nowhere in the past week.  Imagine my relief when I followed your advice (I did not even know I had a Task Manager) and found that thing in the Task Manager and clicked End Process.  Then when I went into programs and tried to delete it - it deleted first time!!  All its icons have disappeared from down the bottom of the screen too.  I am just soooo relieved.  Many, many thanks, Sidmaul

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:36 PM
  • I cannot find the process in my task manager and cannot delete the folder. Additionally, I'm getting pop-ups CONSTANTLY and a CONTINUALLY blocked from safe websites I frequent (e.g. banking sites). Also, I have had several reboots that claim that different system32 dll files cannot be located and loaded. I'm running Windows Vista. Are all these problems connected to the AntiVirus 2009? I have done a Windows Update this week hoping to solve the problem. PLEASE HELP! I'm BEYOND FRUSTRATED. Thank You.

--Catherine

Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Catherine, I'm sorry to have to refer you to my post several above yours within this thread. I understand the frustration that results from the PC being infected by malware.

-steve

Friday, July 25, 2008 12:57 PM
  • So I did what you said and it worked last night.  When I rebooted today, I keep getting the "there is a problem with IE and it will have to be closed down."

Am I still infected with this thing?  I have McAffee and it says the machine is clean, but something is still wrong.  THANKS.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:14 AM
  • I just got rid of antivirus xp 2009.  The only way to do it is to call the phone number that Stephen Boots has placed in his post.  It will direct you to a Microsoft tech who will take control of your computer and remove all of the components of the virus.  This is a lengthy procedure that should not be done be amatures.  This guy knew exactly what he was doing and it took almost an hour.  The code is buried in the system, the registry and a bunch of other places that are very dangerous to mess with. The service is free.  Use a pro and get it done right. 

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Just had exactly the same problem - very frustrating, every site was labeled as at risk - couldn't even get to the Dell support page. It even put shortcuts on my desktop and came up on Google ("noted you are not running the 2009 version and are at risk")!! Very alarming as it said I had lots of virus' etc on my PC. Downloaded and ran Spy Bot (free, anti virus) found it straight away. Couldn't remove all of it as it had altered the adult accounts on our home computer from administrators to standard account! Had to turn admin rights off, rerun and then immunise. Touch wood seems to have worked, took quite a bit of time, McAfee had said everything was ok, as did my own microsoft firewall etc. Hope you all get sorted!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:44 AM
  • Stephen - We were online last night and messages began popping up the AntiVirus 2009 had found a number of problems and that we should download the AV2009 software.  I did not download the .exe file but finally had to close the browser because it there didn't seem to be any way to exit the Anti-Virus site without downloading the software.  We do not use Windows Live OneCare software.  I am unclear from these posts whether AntiVirus 2009 is a MS product or if it is malicious software.  Is Anti-Virus 2009 malware?

Thanks, Jon

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Jon, it is spyware and it is malicious. It has no relation to Microsoft.

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:30 PM
  •  

If you have accidentally installed anitvirus 2009 or 2008 follow the instructions on the link below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/uninstall-antivirus-2009

there is a link to install a program called Malwarebytes Anti- Malware. this program will need to run twice and reboot once but should completely resolve the issue. I have noted from some users though that you may need to uninstall and reinstall your real antivirus after you have cleaned the trojan off your system.  Also for winxp usere you may have a white screen that pops up on your desktop -go to start - control panal - settings - display - Desktop tab - Customize Desktop button - web tab - and uncheck any box that is checked. 

After this  I ran a complete disk cleanup and made sure my internet cache was clean.

Hope this helps

- Sandi

Saturday, August 02, 2008 4:34 PM
  • I tried working with Microsoft Virus Help THREE times for over an hour each time. Each tech did something different from the previous and NONE of it worked. The link below WORKED! :-)

THANK YOU, SANDI! :-)

You know, one of the Microsoft techs even tried using the MalwareByte's software, but we did a "quick scan" and it didn't remove the virus. I did a "complete scan" and it appears to be gone! (I've even searched the registry and it can find no trace. :-) )YAY! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :-)

--Catherine :-)

Saturday, August 02, 2008 8:04 PM
  • Steve,

I followed all of the instructions to get rid of Antivirus 2009, including the LiveOne Care and using the Task Manager. It had to be the task manager because AntiVirus would shut down my computer during each scan. Once I had it off, I ran LiveOne scan again, and it deleted my WinAntiVirus Pro 2007 program that I use for virus scans. It's still in the Programs file on my hard drive, but I can't find a way to re-install it. Can you tell me why Microsoft deleted it? I cleared all but 2 of the problems that LiveOne found, but I was never able to see a list to decide what to get rid of.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:36 PM
  •  Tigress wrote:

,,,I ran LiveOne scan again, and it deleted my WinAntiVirus Pro 2007 program that I use for virus scans...

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?threatid=44353

http://www.pchell.com/support/smitfraud.shtml
    Sunday, August 03, 2008 5:20 AM
  • I also removed the application using the end process, however when turning off the computer and restarting it came back. How do i permantly delete this from my machine. Need help fast..

Monday, August 04, 2008 2:51 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issues. I have removed the program from the task/end process however when I restart the computer it returns.. Any other suggestions would be greatful..

Monday, August 04, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Did you see the earlier post in this thread by SeaRaven on Aug 2?

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

Monday, August 04, 2008 5:17 PM
  • If you have accidentally installed anitvirus 2009 or 2008 follow the instructions on the link below:

there is a link to install a program called Malwarebytes Anti- Malware. this program will need to run twice and reboot once but should completely resolve the issue. I have noted from some users though that you may need to uninstall and reinstall your real antivirus after you have cleaned the trojan off your system.  Also for winxp usere you may have a white screen that pops up on your desktop -go to start - control panal - settings - display - Desktop tab - Customize Desktop button - web tab - and uncheck any box that is checked. 

After this  I ran a complete disk cleanup and made sure my internet cache was clean.

Hope this helps

- Sandi

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Just wanted to let you know my son activanted this THUG program and I have dealt with it for hours until reading the post  by Jane from Yorkshire who used Sky Bot Search and Destroy which is free!!!!  Just go to their web site (sorry i don't have it) and download the program.  It took about 3 hours for it to fix my problem but it did it!!!

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 9:11 PM
  • Thank you very much for the info post. Most appreciated.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Great information from Wenskie and SeaRaven.
    I had to do it twice in order to weaken the AntiVirus 2009. It was listed twice on the task manager and there were 2 different folders.   After that, I was able to go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/uninstall-antivirus-2009 and download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, update it after downloading, and run the program.  AntiVirus 2009 is GONE!  Thanks for the information.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:49 PM
  • I got infected, popups galore, found this forum and went through the process of getting Super Antipyware, loading, updating and scanning.  Yesterday, my free AVG only picked up 2 medium problems.  Today the Super Antispyware got 42 of them, 11 were Antivirus 2009.  The process is easy and fast.  The scan took 26 min., AVG took 48 min.  It looks like everything is cleared up.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:15 AM
  • I'm locking this thread as it 99% off topic.

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:37 PM