none
Can't connect to WHS at all

Question

• I'm not an IT guy but enough to be dangerous I guess.

My first problem is that I can not get to the Software folder on the server.  BUT my real problem might be that when I try to setup WHS sharing as 'Share w/user accounts' it fails and i'm told to run the add user wizard.

So...more to type but maybe getting the share correct will alleviate the other issues.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:26 PM

All replies

• To access shares on the Server, you will need to have previously added a User via the Console and assigned appropriate access privileges. If you use the existing credentials of a user on your client PC (Username and password) that will make life easier.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:30 PM
  • To access shares on the Server, you will need to have previously added a User via the Console and assigned appropriate access privileges. If you use the existing credentials of a user on your client PC (Username and password) that will make life easier.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Is this

on the WHS box

Control Panel / Add user? 

if so, do I then add the info that is on, say, this laptop?  this user name?

thanks!

• Edited by Chrispbass Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:55 PM clarity
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:54 PM
  • No, certainly do not do that. All interaction with your Server should be via the Console, which is where you can add a new user. Usue a User Name and the same password as you already have on your laptop - that way you will be able to seamlessly access server shares from your laptop without entering passwords etc.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:27 PM
  • No, certainly do not do that. All interaction with your Server should be via the Console, which is where you can add a new user. Usue a User Name and the same password as you already have on your laptop - that way you will be able to seamlessly access server shares from your laptop without entering passwords etc.

I cannot add anything under /dashboard (console?) / users.  It tells me 'cannot create use account.  use the wizard'

I was able to add myself as a user under 'manage accounts'....which does not allow me to connect. 

I guess all I did was add another account for the WHS box and not a server/client type user.

EDIT:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the following processes have shut down and have been restarted...and have stopped on their own again.

Server Addins infrastructure

Server Identify management service

Server backup service (NOTE: I have not done the initial backup which is one of the 5 or 6 things that are supposed to be done upon installing)

Please also note that I have done almost NOTHING to this system.  All i've done is install the Server software.  

I do appreciate the help Phil, and anyone else who will reply.  I need to get this working. 

EDIT:::::: So I was messing around on the "server" and found out that file sharing and network discovery were off.  I turned them on and now I can see the server from the Win 7 machine but there is no 'Software' folder.  Isn't that where the client software is located?!

• Edited by Chrispbass Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:51 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hi,

which version of Windows Home Server you are using?

You will not need to login to the server locally at all.

On the client, after installing the Connector software, you have the little green icon (assuming Windows Home Server v.1, unless you say you have 2011).

Double clicking it brings up the Windows Home Server Console login screen - here you use the WHS password, which you assigned in the initial process (this is also the password for the local Administrator account).

Here you click the icon User Accounts and then +Add.

All accounts not created via console are not fully supported by WHS features.

Other than that - does the server have a working network connection? On self built systems it happens sometimes, that there is no driver installed for the network card, making the interaction with WHS via network somewhat difficult. (This would be the exception, which requires local login.)

The Connector software can be installed via browser:

http://yourservername:55000 for WHS v. 1

http://yourservername/connect for WHS 2011. (This version has not a Software share!)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 02, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

which version of Windows Home Server you are using?

You will not need to login to the server locally at all.

On the client, after installing the Connector software, you have the little green icon (assuming Windows Home Server v.1, unless you say you have 2011).

Double clicking it brings up the Windows Home Server Console login screen - here you use the WHS password, which you assigned in the initial process (this is also the password for the local Administrator account).

Here you click the icon User Accounts and then +Add.

All accounts not created via console are not fully supported by WHS features.

Other than that - does the server have a working network connection? On self built systems it happens sometimes, that there is no driver installed for the network card, making the interaction with WHS via network somewhat difficult. (This would be the exception, which requires local login.)

The Connector software can be installed via browser:

http://yourservername:55000 for WHS v. 1

http://yourservername/connect for WHS 2011. (This version has not a Software share!)

Olaf

I have an OEM version of WHS 2011.  I did not understand the consequences of buying OEM.  I went to microcenter, asked for the prog and they pointed to the OEM version.  I hope I have not killed support options.

My current issue is connecting the client software.
    I have 2 discs.

Actually it comes with a pre-install kit disc as well but the little card that came with the disc makes me think 'no way....over my head'.

one has the server and the other is called 'client computer, restore'.  I guess the software is on there but I can't find it.  I have no idea what it's called.  It doesn't autorun either.  I browse but there are <many> files on the disc.

I do have an internet connection.  I see the server from XP, the server sees XP.   I can browse to 'my home server (actual server name) but the only files are generic (music/docs/scheduled tasks) etc....so I can't install the Client from there.

thank you for your help! I really want to get this working!

Chris

Monday, January 02, 2012 6:25 PM
  • As suggested by Olaf, just type "http://<Whatever your server name is>/connect" into Internet Explorer (or other browser) and you should be given the option to install the connector Software.
    Monday, January 02, 2012 6:39 PM
  • SOMEBODY!  Please....so close. 
    Monday, January 02, 2012 8:46 PM

• As suggested by Olaf, just type "http://<Whatever your server name is>/connect" into Internet Explorer (or other browser) and you should be given the option to install the connector Software.

Thought I replied to this.  I must have replied on another forum.  It doesn't work.  It just opens a webpage in ffox or IE to Cox Cables 'were you looking for _____?'

I cut and pasted, typed it...just won't work. 

Is the install exe on the 'client computer, restore' disc?  if so, do you know what it is called? 

Monday, January 02, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Then there is likely to be something wrong with your network - are both client and server on the same subnet? Can you ping your Server from your client by both name and IP address?
    Monday, January 02, 2012 11:06 PM
  • I can ping it it with 192.168.2.2 but the 72.xx.xx.xx doesn't ping ( i get that IP when i try to use the server name)

I got the 192 number from my router.

both are on 192.

Ive been dumping data onto the 'user' folder on the server all morning.  gigs and gigs.  Gigabyte files w/no fail.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Looks like your router is setting a DNS suffix, causing the search for your server name going to your ISP.

Check the FAQ

How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server

Olaf

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Olaf,

Things have changed,  so if you want me to just follow that link I will but please read first.

I got fed up with Win XP home not installing a bunch of updates and installed Win 7 Pro.  Note: The other computer, besides the server, on the network is also a Win 7 pro machine.

I clicked on Server in win explorer and lo and behold...the connector software comes up...but it won't install on either computer.  I get the same error message.  I am able to enter the server password and all but then I get 'an unexpected error has occurred please troubleshoot'

This happens on both computers.  So....read your link I guess?

BTW and this is CRAZY but I *never* got the option to install the connector software UNTIL I clicked on the Server as a device on the network.  Browsing to it did nothing, 55000 did nothing, /server/software did nothing.

IOW this is the 1st time i've actually clicked on the Server icon/thumbnail in win explorer.  I have always just clicked on the left side of Win explorer to browse/open files.

Friday, January 06, 2012 5:52 PM
  • The FAQ explains, what seems to happen to you (that your client tries to ping an external machine).

Olaf

Friday, January 06, 2012 9:40 PM
  • The FAQ explains, what seems to happen to you (that your client tries to ping an external machine).

Olaf

OK....read the faq. 

subnet mask is OK. 

connection specific DNS suffix is the name of the network

The issue seems to be this:

I can ping the server by ip address but when I ping the server name I get a completely different IP 72.xxx vs 192.168.xxx.xx

nslookup reveals that the server ip is 72.xxx.xxx.xx

mbtstat does not work

SO - I'm not sure what to do.  CAN I set the IP address of the server to a static 192.xx.xx.xx?  Seems like that would do the trick. 

I then set the subnet to 255.255.255.0 which is whatever other device on the network has.

what about the dns server? Just obtain it automatically?

I'm confused as to which to do though...IPv6 or IPv4. 

Sunday, January 08, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Im fn clueless and about to break something (literally) so it's time to step away before I trash something.

I *appreciate* help but if you are going to help me can you PLEASE explain how to do what you say?  I am not an IT guy.  everything I do w/computers involves google!

I have been trying to set a stactic ip for this fn server but I just can't do it.

well...now that I look at the info below it does look like I manage to set the IP of the server.  But now it' doesnt show up in the dhcp list on the router. 

nslookup say 192.168.2.1 which is the friggin' router!

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a096:5cc5:5173:8250%11
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.{7AD8795E-234D-4D62-A175-2161AFC32BCA}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:30f6:1dc:3f57:fd9a
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::30f6:1dc:3f57:fd9a%13
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

C:\Users\Administrator>^A

Sunday, January 08, 2012 2:44 AM
  • What is "the name of the network" as DNS suffix? If it is the domain of your ISP (Internet Service Provider), this is not the name of YOUR network, but the name of the ISPs network.

Please post the output of ipconfig /all.

That your router acts as DNS server for your home is correct. But something makes him think, that he is not authoritative for your server.

Assigning a fixed IP address would include IP v4 address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS server. Its not enough to do it on the server, however, if the client assumes the wrong domain extension for the server, it will feed the DNS server (your router) with that domain extension and make it redirect queries to the Internet instead of keeping them in the local network. So the client would also need a fixed IP address in the same range.

Olaf

Monday, January 09, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Under folder properties, look for homegroup.  Make sure read/write is selected.
    Monday, January 09, 2012 10:12 AM
  • this is the ipconfig from one of the computers.  I don't have a keyboard hooked up atm to the server.  I will post it later.   Hope this helps...and appreciate your help.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : E
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-E5-0B-52-79-9C
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::20e0:3a24:84eb:1542%13(Preferred
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2(Preferred)
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 08, 2012 4:23:43 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 15, 2148 11:32:35 P
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 343205131
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-29-CF-C7-F0-DE-F1-99-B7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : P****N
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Conne
    on
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F0-DE-F1-99-B7-E8

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{E980A824-D8E2-4571-8E7D-40F30E72AAB7}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

C:\Users\E

Monday, January 09, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Under folder properties, look for homegroup.  Make sure read/write is selected.

I do not have homegroup enabled on any of the computers.  'the internet' seems to think it causes permission issues.
    Monday, January 09, 2012 10:06 PM
  •  

Olaf, to be clear.

I can ping IP and Server name. 

(maybe this stuff means nothing....)

couple more things.

---I read that changing the workgroup can cause issues.  Is this true?  I did change it almost immediately.

--- I can't set up backup.  WHS says it can't find a drive or some such.  I have 1 1TB drive on the server. 

---- as posted previously, these processes do not start and do not STAY running when started.

Server Addins infrastructure

Server Identify management service

Server backup service

--- TCP.net (something like that)   isn't started either. 

also...why can't I get email notices on this thread???

• Edited by Chrispbass Monday, January 09, 2012 10:09 PM
    Monday, January 09, 2012 10:07 PM
  • ---I read that changing the workgroup can cause issues.  Is this true?  I did change it almost immediately.

Yes. How did you do it? The only successful way is during the install and even then it's not a supported change as there is no need, other than cosmetic reasons, to do so.

Monday, January 09, 2012 10:47 PM
  • I don't remember specifically how I changed the workgroup.  I probably did it like I did the 2 Win 7 pro machines that I set up this month.

Computer/properties/ system properties.  It changed w/no issues at all.  Well...no apparent issues. 

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:03 AM
  • This is ipconfig from one of the wireless laptops. 

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :  LapTop
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dc.dc.cox.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : dc.dc.cox.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-DF-34-9C-76
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::95d8:736f:671e:6f21%11(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3(Preferred)
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 08, 2012 4:16:11 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 16, 2148 3:36:21 AM
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301997279
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-97-E7-8B-00-C0-9F-FB-71-9C

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet
     NIC
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-FB-71-9C

Tunnel adapter isatap.dc.dc.cox.net:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter isatap.{87A939B6-17EE-4D9D-8D83-82E0626E6F5E}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:24f7:2e6a:3f57:fdfc(Pref
    erred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::24f7:2e6a:3f57:fdfc%12(Preferred)
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:09 AM
  • This is the ipconfig/all from the server with the Static ip, configured host file.

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER (not actual server name...)

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-76-37-FB-0D
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a096:5cc5:5173:8250%11(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101(Preferred)
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234886774
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-8C-88-BC-00-16-76-37-FB-0D

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:857:1a7b:3f57:fd9a(Prefe
    rred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::857:1a7b:3f57:fd9a%12(Preferred)
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{7AD8795E-234D-4D62-A175-2161AFC32BCA}:

C:\Users\Administrator>

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:17 AM
  • I don't remember specifically how I changed the workgroup.  I probably did it like I did the 2 Win 7 pro machines that I set up this month.

Computer/properties/ system properties.  It changed w/no issues at all.  Well...no apparent issues. 

No you didn't - WHS 2011 does not allow you to change the Workgroup name like that. If you have changed it then it potentially screws up the Certificates. You should see the text "Note: The identification of the computer cannot be changed because: - The Certification Authority Service is installed on this computer."

Given the time and effort you have put into this so far, I would be inclined to start again with a fresh installation.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:21 AM
  • You say, that your server name is resolved to some external address via nslookup.

This could have to do with the Connection-specific DNS Suffix dc.dc.cox.net - which makes the client attach that domain extension to each name called if DNS resolution is used only.

Eventually you have a Proxy server configured, or some malware or Internet Security software suite is redirecting/blocking your network calls. Check the content of Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file in notepad, if there is something uncommon in or if this has been changed recently.

Which security suite is installed? Would you be able to connect to the server, if the security suite is uninstalled?

Also check date, time and time zone on both the server and the client. If they don't match, you won't get authenticated successfully.

Can you access the server shares, if you logon to the server desktop and run \\server\sharename (replace the sharename with one existing).

Server backup serves the purpose to backup the server itself - and this can only be performed to an external drive. The other non running services are strange, but if you really changed your workgroup name (and may be other configuration items we are not aware off), eventually instead of further try and error reinstall your server (which would be relatively easy as long as there is no critical data on the system)?

Olaf

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:35 AM
  • You say, that your server name is resolved to some external address via nslookup.

This could have to do with the Connection-specific DNS Suffix dc.dc.cox.net - which makes the client attach that domain extension to each name called if DNS resolution is used only.

Eventually you have a Proxy server configured, or some malware or Internet Security software suite is redirecting/blocking your network calls. Check the content of Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file in notepad, if there is something uncommon in or if this has been changed recently.

Which security suite is installed? Would you be able to connect to the server, if the security suite is uninstalled?

Also check date, time and time zone on both the server and the client. If they don't match, you won't get authenticated successfully.

Can you access the server shares, if you logon to the server desktop and run \\server\sharename (replace the sharename with one existing).

Server backup serves the purpose to backup the server itself - and this can only be performed to an external drive. The other non running services are strange, but if you really changed your workgroup name (and may be other configuration items we are not aware off), eventually instead of further try and error reinstall your server (which would be relatively easy as long as there is no critical data on the system)?

Olaf

Olaf,

You do realize that I can connect and all right?  I just can't get the connector software to compelete.

I'm just going to reinstall and leave the workgroup as is. 

Is there anything I should know about installing?  Obviously, it's easy to do but other than not changing the workgroup....?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Yes, I realize this. While other connections may use NetBIOS name resolution, connector is using DNS. So your ping resolving an external address (if pinging the server by name) this does it via DNS - therefore your installation will fail.

What would happen, if you ping your server/install Connector, while Internet is disconnected from the router?

Olaf

Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:10 PM
  • I'm reinstalling.  Currently moving all the data over the network to another back up drive. 

IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW <PRIOR> TO INSTALL; BESIDES

>>> DO NOT CHANGE WORKGROUP?

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Just follow the on-screen instructions, nothing you found on the Internet and use the Dashboard.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Phil, Olaf thank you for your help.

The good news: I learned a whole lot about dns, ipconfig, static IPs etc...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whssoftware/thread/811caa52-e827-4914-bced-bf96f60a73a5

apparently; changing the workgroup of the server is *not* a good idea.

Friday, January 13, 2012 4:31 AM