Someone is sending out emails from my hotmail.

General discussion

• My contact list of friends are receiving emails I am not sending. The subject line is blank and when they open the email it is a link to a canadian ____. There are no emails in my sent box. I have scanned my computer with Trend and found nothing. My friends are starting to get mad about these bogus emails that I am not sending. WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT?

Busy busy mom of three.

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Monday, March 22, 2010 10:59 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Monday, March 22, 2010 11:00 PM Off topic. Not an MSE question. (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 7:57 PM

All replies

• All that you can do is change the password on your hotmail account, and you should do that immediately.  You should then contact hotmail support.

There are several possibilities--one, a virus, you've already done some testing for.  A second is that your address is simply being forged.  There's little you can do about this--but given that the emails are going to your contact list, this argues for another possibility--that your account itself is being misused.

Changing the password will fix that quickly.

"tmdibble" wrote in message news:24dafd3e-1837-4f14-be9e-9b781d55d3ba...

My contact list of friends are receiving emails I am not sending. The subject line is blank and when they open the email it is a link to a canadian ____. There are no emails in my sent box. I have scanned my computer with Trend and found nothing. My friends are starting to get mad about these bogus emails that I am not sending. WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT?

Busy busy mom of three.

Bill Sanderson
    Monday, March 22, 2010 8:28 PM