none
Manually Installing SSL Cert to WHS 2011

Question

• I have completed the install of WHS 2011 on my custom built box.  I did setup the necessary uPNP router ports to allow remote access to my WHS.  I would now like to add a GoDaddy SSL cert to allow for remote access to my internal PCs and avoid getting the normal SSL error when using a self-signed cert as WHS uses during the normal setup.  However, I already have my own domain that I would like to use and I have setup the necessary host A record for remote.mydomain.com.  I know the WHS remote and domain wizard will setup this automatically if you purchase a new domain but I would prefer to use my own. 

Does someone have the steps necessary to manually install a cheap GoDaddy SSL cert to my new WHS 2011 box?  I know I'll use IIS but I just didn't know if WHS does any other special things that I need to be aware of.

Thanks.

Ken

Friday, June 17, 2011 12:49 PM

All replies

• There is no supported way to install a certificate, other than through the domain setup tools in the dashboard. You can transfer your pre-existing domain name to one of the listed providers, however, which will let you use it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:08 AM
  • 'this is not the answer you're looking for' ;-)

I've got EXACTLY the same issue and the inbuilt setup tool just doesn't work and every time throws the same mesasge 'An error ocurred while setting up your domain name'

My domain is registered with GoDaddy, I've bought and setup the cert I want using the referral url (https://www.godaddy.com/sbs/ssl.aspx?lookup=1) and it just doesn't work - very frustrating!

By comparison the SBS2011 Essentials tool that DOES support a manual wizard assisted install (if that makes sense!) - you can even paste in the CSR as text and voila it works a treat!

come on Microsoft, this is rubbish!

Reuben Cook CCNA, CCNP, MCSE, MCP+I, TS: Mobile, CfgMgr, OpsMgr, Virtualisation, SBS2008
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Once your domain is transferred to GODADDY.COM.  Follow the instructions in the Web Link Below for generating a CSR & Installing Your SSL on WHS 2011.

http://community.godaddy.com/help/article/4801

The SSL Certificate does work on WHS 2011.  

• Proposed as answer by Monolith2063 Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Monolith2063 Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:40 PM
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:26 PM
  • I think I have a similar problem, maybe the next step. I already opened a thread in the GoDaddy help forum. I installed my WHS 2011 first on a different environment. I created a certificate with GoDaddy and used it on the server. Everything works fine. But for security reasons I had to move my WHS. So I bought new hardware and installed the WHS with the same name on the new hardware. Then I followed the instructions from GoDaddy and re-keyed my GoDaddy certificate with a CSR from my new server. I installed it on the new WHS 2011, but it is not used. My new WHS looks exactly like the old one, but the new server hasn't  realized that there is a certficate from GoDaddy. When you press the "Repair" button in the WHS 2011 the server creates a new WHS-signed certificate what doesn't help to solve the problem.

So I have a new server and a new created certificate but they don't come together.

Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Is there no way to add your own certificate? I see the "Server Certificates" icon is missing in IIS manager. I just don't want to pay $50 every year for a certificate you can get for free elsewhere.
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:10 PM
  • It may not be supported but there are ways. I've found instructions in several different places including WeGotServered.com, but I don't have the links handy at the moment.

Tim Pickard A+, Net+, Sec+, MCSA, Web Administrator

The instructions that Monolith links to on GoDaddy do work, but have to be modified for WHS 2011 because the bindings and other things are in different places.
    • Edited by tpickard Saturday, November 03, 2012 1:07 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 12:14 PM