Inviting via phone to Live Meeting

Question

• I'm playing around with some telephony functions, now that our mediation server is in place and seems to be working just fine. One thing I came across today is that when we set up a Live Meeting conference, all the basic stuff works great (screen sharing, video chat, audio chat, whiteboard, etc). I looked at inviting a new person to the conference via phone, and the option was greyed out. Upon a quick search online, I read a post from a couple years ago saying this was only available to users of the Live Meeting Service (I'm assuming that's the paid service from microsoft?). Does OCS 2007 R2 bring in this functionality to OCS without using the Live Meeting Service? It would be really nice to call someone with OCS and have them patched right into the conference. We can always just invite them via email, and they can dial in, but that's just not as cool  ;-)
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:40 PM

All replies

• The new R2 Dial-In Conferencing feature is used to 'patch' telephony users into a Live Meetings.  If that component is not yet configured then Live Meetings in your environmene will still use the A/V Conferencing features for PC-to-PC audio/video.  In order to allow external telephony users you'll also need to have a Mediation server deployed with Enterprise Voice enabled.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:59 PM
  • Am I correct in assuming your use of the word patch in quotes means it's sort of a cheap workaround? :-)  We do have a mediation server in place and Dial-In Conferencing works just fine, so is the 'solution' to this just to Invite by Email and have the external users call in? I guess that will be fine, but if we are able to call users in from OCS, that would just be nicer.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:08 PM
  • No, not at all.  By 'patch' I meant in old-time telephony terms, as in 'patch in a call'.  Substitute patch for 'transfer' or 'connect' if you like.

By assigning a working DID number to your Conference Bridge anyone call directly into the attendant and join meetings just like any other hosted audio bridge solutions.  Also, previous to R2 you could already call external PSTN numbers (like a cell phone) and have them connected to the Live Meeting audio, but with the R2 audio conferencing users can now join directly from PSTN phones using just a dial pad to enter the conference ID and passcode or PIN (if required).
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Gotcha. I guess I was unclear in my question, then. I understand people can call into the conference from any phone (we've got that working great). They just type in the conference ID and passcode (if required) and it patches them right in.

However... there is a button at the top of Live Meeting in the Invite menu that is within the Attendees button/menu, and it says "Call Someone". My assumption here is that I can have OCS call out to any person and it will patch them in. In a way we would be "pulling" people into the conference rather than just notifying them that there is a conference and having them call in themselves. Does this make sense? Is this possible with OCS?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Hi,
    In short: the LiveMeeting "Call Someone" button is still greyed out in OCS R2.

However - if you schedule an OCS R2 "Conference Call" (not a LiveMeeting) you can definitely use the "Invite by Phone" feature in the MOC conversation window. This works very well. The other option is for users joining your conference call via web browser (new in R2) they are prompted to enter their phone number and the OCS conference will call them at that number "patching" them into the conference call.

Regards,
    Matt

Matt McGillen, PointBridge - https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/mcgillen_matt/default.aspx
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:59 PM
  • I'd like to bump this question up. This feature would be very helpfull in pulling people into the conversation.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:51 PM
  • This issue is not really documented correctly inside Microsoft documents. I also spent some times to look for a clear explanation why with OCS R2 + PSTN Dial In Conferencing, the "Call someone" option is still grayed out. But unformutante I cannot figure it out.  I understand also that we can use this feautre if you schedule a "Conference Cal". But how we can call someone (by phone ) and add him into a scheduled "LiveMeeting session", not "Conference Call"?

I'm almost sure that this option (Call someone) is available with a third party conferencing such as Nortel Multimedia Conferencing. So, it is quite strange that this is available for with party conferencing and not available for Microsoft PSTN Dial In Conferencing.

-QD
    Monday, November 09, 2009 8:16 AM