none
eMachines reformat

Question

• I bought an eMachines computer a few years ago. It came with WindowsXP. The motherboard got fried. I ordered a new motherboard and hard drive on the net and a friend installed it all and got the system going back for me. Now, I am getting a message, that windows may not be genuine. I have the eMachines restore CD, but it will not work now that I have a new motherboard. Do I have to purchase a new WindowsXP?
    Thursday, May 04, 2006 11:50 PM

Answers

•  

If you should have questions about your Genuine Advantage Kit order (including what the product key is… please refer to the contact listed below.

Monday through Friday, between 8AM and 10PM ET, at (866-530-6599), toll free in the United States and Canada. 

You would have also received a complete order status link on the Web in the e-mail example provided below.

You should have received an e-mail from service@microsoft.com and it will contain their 5x5 product key along with instructions for running the conversion tool.

Below is an example of the email you should have received when ordering the wga kit: This is sent after Credit Card Authorization has been completed and should be within 24-48 hours. You will not be charged unless the transaction has been completed properly.

Note:  It is imperative that you check your junk mail filter to ensure it has not been placed in that folder. If you have junk mail set to automatically move and delete messages you should request further information from the contacts listed above. They will be able to send you another email. You may also list *.microsoft.com in your trusted domains for email and receive future Microsoft email directly into your Inbox. They will be able to send you another email.

-----Original Message-----

From: service@Microsoft.com [mailto:service@Microsoft.com]

Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:57 AM

To: xxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Microsoft Order Complete -- Order Number: xxxxxxxxxx

Please keep this e-mail for your records.

Microsoft has received your order, your order has now been shipped.

HERE IS YOUR PRODUCT KEY PER YOUR ORDER. ONCE YOU ACTIVATE  THE PRODUCT KEY, YOU CANNOT CANCEL THE PRODUCT KEY OR GET A REFUND FOR THE PRODUCT KEY, UNLESS  LOCAL LAW PROVIDES  OTHERWISE.

Please print a copy of this product key for your record. You may be asked for your product key in the future if you request Windows product support. The next step of the update process will also ask you for your product key.

To download and run the Windows Product Key Update Tool, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45668. This tool will lead you through several steps to convert your current Windows XP software to a genuine and activated copy of Windows XP.All active items in your order for Microsoft Products have been shipped.

Ordered From: Windows Genuine Advantage

Order Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Order Date: June 15, 2005

Product Key:  Retail-X-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXX

Ship to:

xxxxxxxx

Microsoft

One Microsoft Way

98052 Redmond WA

Sold to:

xxxxxxxx

Microsoft

One Microsoft Way

98052 Redmond WA

Subtotal: XXX.XX

Tax: xx.xx

Total: XXX.XX

Your product has shipped. You can expect delivery of your product in three to eight business days, depending on the ship to location.

Do not reply to this e-mail. This message was sent to you using an automated system. This e-mail alias is not monitored for replies. If you need help, please contact us through one of the methods described below.

For a complete order-status report, please visit Microsoft Internet Customer Service at https://icspob.parttest.extranettest.microsoft.com/anonymous/WGALACAR538/en-us/ics/Order_Status.asp?OrderID=063C02DD-DA50-4A5C-A323-E9523D9D06AA&Locale=en-us

You may also contact Microsoft Customer Service Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. ET, at (866) 530-6599 (toll-free in the United States and Canada).

Thank you,

Microsoft

Monday, May 08, 2006 2:49 AM

All replies

• Larry:

I would suggest contactine eMachines for another copy of Windows XP. We cannot provide you with a CD at this point unless you purchase, but I wholly agree that you shouldn't be paying for another copy.

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 05, 2006 12:01 AM
  • reading your other answers (thanks for the quick responses), the ONLY way I can not have to reinstall windows, is to pay for the windows kit, right? That will not require me to reinstall right?
    Friday, May 05, 2006 3:11 AM
  • Larry:

We are under development for a tool that will allow you to change to your COA *ONLY* - and will not force a reinstall. There's no slated schedule for it, but it is currently under development.

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 05, 2006 6:45 PM
  • So, I went online and paid microsoft the money via my credit card. How long does it take to get the install email? I thought it would be right after I paid.
    Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:24 PM
  •  

If you should have questions about your Genuine Advantage Kit order (including what the product key is… please refer to the contact listed below.

Monday through Friday, between 8AM and 10PM ET, at (866-530-6599), toll free in the United States and Canada. 

You would have also received a complete order status link on the Web in the e-mail example provided below.

You should have received an e-mail from service@microsoft.com and it will contain their 5x5 product key along with instructions for running the conversion tool.

Below is an example of the email you should have received when ordering the wga kit: This is sent after Credit Card Authorization has been completed and should be within 24-48 hours. You will not be charged unless the transaction has been completed properly.

Note:  It is imperative that you check your junk mail filter to ensure it has not been placed in that folder. If you have junk mail set to automatically move and delete messages you should request further information from the contacts listed above. They will be able to send you another email. You may also list *.microsoft.com in your trusted domains for email and receive future Microsoft email directly into your Inbox. They will be able to send you another email.

-----Original Message-----

From: service@Microsoft.com [mailto:service@Microsoft.com]

Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:57 AM

To: xxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Microsoft Order Complete -- Order Number: xxxxxxxxxx

Please keep this e-mail for your records.

Microsoft has received your order, your order has now been shipped.

HERE IS YOUR PRODUCT KEY PER YOUR ORDER. ONCE YOU ACTIVATE  THE PRODUCT KEY, YOU CANNOT CANCEL THE PRODUCT KEY OR GET A REFUND FOR THE PRODUCT KEY, UNLESS  LOCAL LAW PROVIDES  OTHERWISE.

Please print a copy of this product key for your record. You may be asked for your product key in the future if you request Windows product support. The next step of the update process will also ask you for your product key.

To download and run the Windows Product Key Update Tool, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45668. This tool will lead you through several steps to convert your current Windows XP software to a genuine and activated copy of Windows XP.All active items in your order for Microsoft Products have been shipped.

Ordered From: Windows Genuine Advantage

Order Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Order Date: June 15, 2005

Product Key:  Retail-X-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXX

Ship to:

xxxxxxxx

Microsoft

One Microsoft Way

98052 Redmond WA

Sold to:

xxxxxxxx

Microsoft

One Microsoft Way

98052 Redmond WA

Subtotal: XXX.XX

Tax: xx.xx

Total: XXX.XX

Your product has shipped. You can expect delivery of your product in three to eight business days, depending on the ship to location.

Do not reply to this e-mail. This message was sent to you using an automated system. This e-mail alias is not monitored for replies. If you need help, please contact us through one of the methods described below.

For a complete order-status report, please visit Microsoft Internet Customer Service at https://icspob.parttest.extranettest.microsoft.com/anonymous/WGALACAR538/en-us/ics/Order_Status.asp?OrderID=063C02DD-DA50-4A5C-A323-E9523D9D06AA&Locale=en-us

You may also contact Microsoft Customer Service Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. ET, at (866) 530-6599 (toll-free in the United States and Canada).

Thank you,

Microsoft

Monday, May 08, 2006 2:49 AM
  •  LarryWh wrote:
    reading your other answers (thanks for the quick responses), the ONLY way I can not have to reinstall windows, is to pay for the windows kit, right? That will not require me to reinstall right?
    Saturday, September 30, 2006 11:04 PM