none
Streets and Trips Compatibility With Windows 8

Question

• Can someone please give a definitive answer on whether or not Windows 8 is compatible with Streets and Trips 2013? I have seen users post having issues installing. ANOTHER post read... "I am considering the purchase of a small laptop for use when traveling. I would like to purchase S&T 2013 and install it on the new computer. I am considering an Asus S200e with an I3 Ivy Bridge processor, 4GB of RAM, and a 500 GB hybrid drive. I am seeking input as to whether this is enough "horsepower". There is a considerable price increase to get something at this size with an I5 processor. Thanks for your response." The Asus S200e has Windows 8 as it's operating system. The reply was... "That should be plenty of horsepower... there's hasn't been any major new requirements that I'm aware of going from version to version, and S&T has been around for almost 15 years?? So I think the computer you describe would be fine with it... Eric http://www.mapforums.com" Thanks for the help, TlaF
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:33 AM

All replies

• I can tell you that with a lot of trouble I got it working on the Win 8 desktop. As you probably know, it isn't a Windows 8 app. My installation of S&T 2011 stopped working (invalid registry settings) and removing it and reinstalling it wouldn't fix it so I got 2013. After installation of 2013 it would crash after displaying the splash screen as reported in at least one other post. I unstalled it, along with the C++ 2010 runtime, using Advanced Uninstaller. Advanced Uninstaller also cleans up any leftover registry settings, folders and files. I then reinstalled it and it still crashed. I rebbooted and it started working. I don't know what was the key thing but I would recommend removing old copies of S&T, the runtime and then reboot before installing 2013. If it crashes then reboot again. Good luck. If you actually need to contact MS support using IE 10 and Win 8, you will really need luck. I never could get official support.
    • Proposed as answer by Retiredpaul Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:14 PM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Successful install on Windows 8 64-bit by downloading the ST 2013 Trial, installing, then activating with the key that I already have. It appears that the problem with using the full install that I purchased and installed successfully on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Win XP Pro is the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable". The Trail install did NOT recognize the Redistributable that the had been installed by my original download. It installed version 10.0.30319 of the redistributable. ST 2013 works fine.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 2:11 AM
  • I had the same problem with S&T 2005. I still have it UNLESS I RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. IT WORKS FINE THIS WAY.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Although the list of "requirements" for running S&T 2013 does not list Windows 8, I was able to get it running by following a suggestion read in another thread.  Download it to finish, then take the CD out.  I think it was after that when it asked for the product ID number, etc. and I continued with the rest of the installation.  Launch went just fine.  Hope it continues!   This was after loading it several times and upon launch, being told there was a problem and it would have to close.  Hope this works for others as well as it did for me...

I was using S&T 2013 on another computer, which started having problems.  So I bought a new computer with Windows 8 installed, thus having to figure out how to install this apparently incompatible program!

Sunday, July 07, 2013 6:42 PM