none
Account locked out?

Question

• I just changed the network card in my home server - the one that was in it was a 10baseT, and I upgraded to 100baseT - and now that it's up and working, back on my desktop PC, I tried to view the share at \\homeserver

What I get when I type \\homeserver into the Run box is a not accessible dialog, the message being:  "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to".

This does't sound right..

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:36 PM

Answers

•  

Hi all,

This is a bug in WHS (in the password sync check mechanism). It has been fixed in later builds. So if you install the RTM escrow build, you will not have this problem.

If you plan on keeping the older build, there are a few ways of getting around the problem:-

1. Wait 30 minutes and login to the WHS as the WHS administrator, go to the computer management console and unlock the user.

2. If you cannot wait that long, from the WHS Admin Console, delete and recreate the user account and keep the passwords in sync.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rohita Shanker

Windows Home Server

Monday, August 06, 2007 6:56 PM

All replies

• Happened to me again today.

[Window Title]
    \\homeserver\videos

[Content]
    \\homeserver\videos

The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to.

And I can't get any any of my shares.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:18 AM
  • Don't know why it's locked out, but if it's truly locked out you can unlock it if you RDP into your server, go to local users in the computer management app, then open that user and uncheck the account locked out box.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:45 AM
  • I have had this a few times . Only thing i could find that was fdoing it was that my client machine user-id had a different password (not strong) to the user account on WHS.

Several deletings later I changed the local password to be same as the WHS one and it all worked. I suspect it is because the thing tries to login so many times with the wrong password ( you cannot synchronise a remote user password if the local PC password is not strong I don't think) it locks out eventuially.

So make sure the passwords are the same AND strong...

Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:03 AM
  • I've hit the same "locked out" message several times on several different computers. For me, it seems to be associated with trying to use WMP 11 to play files in the shared Music folder from a computer where the local password doesn't match the server password.

This time I decided to try to change the local password, making it the same as the (strong) server password. I used Update Password dialog box to try to make the change.

The Update Password dialog box tells me that the password on the home server is incorrect. If I use the same (server) password in the Update Password dialog box on a different machine it, too, tells me the password is incorrect.

When I re-boot the server and use the Update Password dialog box again, it seems to work correctly - the Update Password selection on the WHS icon's context menu is grayed out. But (I just discovered) the password wasn't changed at all.

I tried disabling then re-enabling the account thru WHS Console, but that didn't help. I manually changed the password on the client to match the server. That didn't help either. Re-started the client computer. Zip.

On a lark, I re-booted all of the computers on the network, including the server, and now everything works fine. Go figger.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 2:57 PM
  • Got it. I can repro the problem, at least in WinXP.

Log on to a client, using an account where the client and server passwords match.

In WMP11, add a song from the server's shared Music folder to the WMP Library. The song plays fine.

Change the password on the client. Don't change it on the server.

Log off the client and log back on again.

Open WMP 11 and try to play the song. WMP 11 throws up an "info" icon and won't play the song.

Double-click on the Shared Folders on Server icon. You get the "locked out" message.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 3:25 PM
  • I would blame WMP 11 then. Logging off and back on has the effect of flushing your credentials on the server, so WMP has to try with what's currently available. It's apparently just trying repeatedly to open the file, ignoring the fact that it failed to do so the last umpteen times.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Ouch.

So folks won't be able to play the music stored on WHS unless their local password matches the server password.

And if they try, they'll screw things up so badly they have to re-boot (some? all?) of the machines on the network.

Enabling the Guest account doesn't help. There's no warning. No discernible error message. Just a very inscrutable "locked out" message.

Doesn't sound very user-friendly to me.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:33 AM
  • And I say again, it's not the fault of WHS.

If WMP11 is silly enough to just keep trying after the first access denied error, well, what's WHS to do? Eventually it will reach any reasonable limit on attempts and lock the account.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:07 AM
  • Thank you glad I read these, before I posted the same question, and found your answer.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:49 PM
  •  AskWoody dot com wrote:
    Ouch.

So folks won't be able to play the music stored on WHS unless their local password matches the server password.

And if they try, they'll screw things up so badly they have to re-boot (some? all?) of the machines on the network.

Enabling the Guest account doesn't help. There's no warning. No discernible error message. Just a very inscrutable "locked out" message.

Doesn't sound very user-friendly to me.

Sync the passwords and users to WHS, like you're supposed to, and there shouldn't be a problem.
    Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:57 PM
  • If the passwords need to be sync'd to work correctly then a dialog box should enforce it whenever someone tries to do it differently. Rebooting to solve routine problems is something I thought we were trying to get away from. What happens when a non technical user tries to change his password. Something that should be easy to do. This is making it complicated.

Also there are problems when you have the same logon name on multiple computers on the net. Why can't I use the same name and password on my laptop as on my desktop without WHS throwing a hissy fit.

Friday, August 03, 2007 2:31 AM
  •  W_dog wrote:
    If the passwords need to be sync'd to work correctly then a dialog box should enforce it whenever someone tries to do it differently. Rebooting to solve routine problems is something I thought we were trying to get away from. What happens when a non technical user tries to change his password. Something that should be easy to do. This is making it complicated.
    It's a question of choice. If a user wants to change their password, they may want to sync that to WHS on the first client PC, then sync from WHS on other client PCs. And on some PCs, the user may not want to sync at all.
     W_dog wrote:
    Also there are problems when you have the same logon name on multiple computers on the net. Why can't I use the same name and password on my laptop as on my desktop without WHS throwing a hissy fit.
    No, I have the same user id and password on every computer I have enrolled with WHS, and can use all of them at once with no problems. If you're having trouble with that scenario, there's something else wrong. Can you give more details?
    Friday, August 03, 2007 4:14 AM
  • If any of the machines have a different password for the same logon name AND the windows media bug hits then you can't logon from any machine.

I got it to work by shutting down the server then changing all of my machines passwords to match. Then shutting down all client machines, bringing WHS backup then bringing up the clients. It really does not like a account name that doesn't match the WHS password.

It wouldn't let my sync passwords while it was locked out.

It should probably be spelled out that you cannot have a separate password on the client machines

Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:16 AM
  •  

Hi all,

This is a bug in WHS (in the password sync check mechanism). It has been fixed in later builds. So if you install the RTM escrow build, you will not have this problem.

If you plan on keeping the older build, there are a few ways of getting around the problem:-

1. Wait 30 minutes and login to the WHS as the WHS administrator, go to the computer management console and unlock the user.

2. If you cannot wait that long, from the WHS Admin Console, delete and recreate the user account and keep the passwords in sync.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rohita Shanker

Windows Home Server

Monday, August 06, 2007 6:56 PM
  • I'm currently running RC Build 3790 sp2 and I've run into this problem the last couple of days while ripping CD's to the shared music folder.

I'm not using the Connector software....I had previously but uninstalled it....now I just go in via network connections and use my established password to connect to the shared music folder.

After a while of ripping cd's WMP11 suddenly rips faster....that's when I notice the folder location from ripping has changed from the server to my local machine.

I go into the Computer Management UI on the server and to Users and find that my user id is not locked out. I just re-enable it and I'm back to ripping...but eventually the problem reoccurs. Very strange.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:34 PM
  • I have recently set up my whs as a print server and has the exact same problem as in wmp11.  When locked out the console does not show the user as locked out either and restarting has no effect.  The only solution is waiting for me.  I am only using the whs at home for basic stuff.  I have a good firewall and I don't see any reason to have to use a password. The password feature should be user controlled (turn on or off just like UAC in Vista).
    Friday, February 15, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Funny...I just made a post about the annoyences of syncing passwords on several machines with tha same account name but different passwords. One of the reasons I do not use the connector software. A work around, although I don't really suggest it, is On WHS Change the Local Security Policy Settings - Account Lockout - Account Lockout threshold to 0. I would say increase the number but of course if the passwords are not synced then that would be pointless. WMP11 should have a limit on number of timeouts when it tries to connect & fails. Everything else to for that matter.

Acronis used to with the 'relog**" It would 'lock' me out of me desktop from me laptop before I got the WHS. All it took was one time logging in &  backing up to a spare  drive on desktop. Everytime I fired up me laptop Acronis in the background would assume to connect to the that drive thus locking me out of my desktop because lappy & desktop passwords were different although the same account name.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 7:03 PM