none
Windows Product Key Update tool : Error 0x80040154

Question

•  

Hello!!!

I reinstalled my latop using a Windows XP vlk version, the key I used to install is blocked when I try to change the key to my OEM Toshiba key using Windows Product Key Update tool, the utility does not run and present the error : 0x80040154

How can I fix that error?
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:40 AM

Answers

• Shoghi,

Microsoft does not support the installation of XP using the technique you described.

Please contact Toshiba to inquire about the availability of Operating System recovery/reinstallation CDs for your model of Toshiba.  Using the factory recovery CD is the best method to put the genuine installation of XP back onto your computer.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Shoghi,

Where did you procure this version of Windows? Here is some more info to add to the advice Dan gave. 

Please contact Toshiba Computers thru their website @ http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp. The Technical Support number is (800) 457-7777. Explain your situation and establish a service request (SR) for Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs.  The CS agent should be able to assist with your request and/or questions.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:00 PM
  • i also have the same error number, i have a valid key but my install cd is scratched so i had to use another copy from a friend, i ran this tool to change the code-key to mine and im told that "the application encountered an internal error and has failed to start"

is there anything i can do to use my key (that i paid £60 for!!!!!!!) or should i ..

1. continue to use a pirate copy of windoze

2. switch OS to something better such as Linux

i await your reply, oh mighty microsloft

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Teh_hippo,

If your installation CD is from the computer manufacturer, contact said manufacturer and request a replacement.

If your installation CD was purchased at retail in a pretty retail box, you may request a replacement CD from Microsoft:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:20 PM

All replies

• Shoghi,

Microsoft does not support the installation of XP using the technique you described.

Please contact Toshiba to inquire about the availability of Operating System recovery/reinstallation CDs for your model of Toshiba.  Using the factory recovery CD is the best method to put the genuine installation of XP back onto your computer.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Shoghi,

Where did you procure this version of Windows? Here is some more info to add to the advice Dan gave. 

Please contact Toshiba Computers thru their website @ http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp. The Technical Support number is (800) 457-7777. Explain your situation and establish a service request (SR) for Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs.  The CS agent should be able to assist with your request and/or questions.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:00 PM
  • i also have the same error number, i have a valid key but my install cd is scratched so i had to use another copy from a friend, i ran this tool to change the code-key to mine and im told that "the application encountered an internal error and has failed to start"

is there anything i can do to use my key (that i paid £60 for!!!!!!!) or should i ..

1. continue to use a pirate copy of windoze

2. switch OS to something better such as Linux

i await your reply, oh mighty microsloft

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Teh_hippo,

If your installation CD is from the computer manufacturer, contact said manufacturer and request a replacement.

If your installation CD was purchased at retail in a pretty retail box, you may request a replacement CD from Microsoft:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:20 PM