none
Registering msxml3.dll failed with 0x80004005

Question

• regsvr32 msxml3.dll  returns DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed. Return code was: 0x80004005

Even after downloading and installing Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7)

noel

Thursday, September 20, 2007 9:52 PM

Answers

• Hello Noel,

YNoel your issue is with your XML services on the computer.  If you compare your Diagnostic Report to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below the "Office Details" line. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key.
    I will provide you the steps to resolve this XML issue.

Fix (Part 1):

1) Click “Start” button, then “Run”
    2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
       (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)
       If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in that case:

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en
    2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”
    3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.
    4) Click “Start” button, then “Run...”
    5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk prior making any changes in the registry. You should be okay because the files are being registried and no changes but still a good idea to ensure any critical data is saved. Please let us know if the above steps resolved your issues. Have a great weekend.  

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Saturday, September 29, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Noel,

Thank you for working with us while we try and provide you with a resolution.  I have tried different resolves surrounding possible scenarios for WGA based on the feedback and error codes received. The problem which you are experiencing may not be within the scope of WGA. 

Your last post provided good information 0x80080299.  In turn this was why I previously provided you with steps for the Crypto error. Error code 0x80004005 coupled with messaging DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed. In reality, this problem is with Windows Updates rather than Windows or Office Genuine Advantage.  Briefly I researched the error code you received and would like to provide you with some information. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932628/en-us

Please follow the Help and Support links on the Windows Updates page to find assistance in solving your Windows Updates difficulties.

Or, visit the WU Solution Center here:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Or, have a look at the WU support forum:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

Another alternative should you not find resolve please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029. Hopefully the above information will resolve your problem. Should it not then hopefully I have provided you with enough information to get a resolution. Take care and should you have future WGA problems please visit me again here :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 05, 2007 6:25 PM

All replies

• Hello Noel,

YNoel your issue is with your XML services on the computer.  If you compare your Diagnostic Report to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below the "Office Details" line. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key.

Fix (Part 1):

(Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)
       If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in that case:

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk prior making any changes in the registry. You should be okay because the files are being registried and no changes but still a good idea to ensure any critical data is saved. Please let us know if the above steps resolved your issues. Have a great weekend.  

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Saturday, September 29, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Your recomendation is exactly what I did.

And it FAILED with 0x80004005 which is why I posted the question.

Any suggestions?

-noel

Saturday, September 29, 2007 2:03 AM
  • Noel,

ICan you please run the MGA diagnostic test? This information is really needed for us to analyze the big picture. Based on what you posted the XML recommendation I provided should have worked.  AFter you post the MGA diag results we can better analyze the sitaution. 

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

Saturday, September 29, 2007 2:08 AM
  •  

Getting a error on Validation: 0x80080299

Went to the Diagnotics and got:

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results
    Passed Active scripting allowed 
    Passed Display images enabled 
    Passed Computer time and date correct 
    Passed Cookies enabled 
    Passed ActiveX enabled
    Passed Windows validation ActiveX loaded 
    Passed Office validation ActiveX loaded 
    Passed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded 
    Passed Validation Self-help: Data.dat Corruption check
    Passed Validation Self-help: Cryptography check
    Passed Validation Self-help: Product Activation check
    Passed ActiveX controls connect with Microsoft validation servers  

But when I click on Validate I get the 0x80080299 error again.

Downloaded and ran MGADiag:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-W3R3K-J2VF4-JFP8W
    Windows Product Key Hash: XPfxGkd+SaYWqIyXYZav/kIic8c=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00111
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {CDDAA429-8CED-46F5-B448-0CC5FBD7DCBA}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-416-800401f3_E2AD56EA-221-800401f3_16E0B333-147-800401f3_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-416-800401f3_E2AD56EA-221-800401f3_16E0B333-80-800401f3_78155E4D-307-800401
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-531-645

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:

Running WindowsXP Home Edition the sticker on the bottom has a product key and Toshiba name.

-noel

Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:06 AM
  • Noel,

Thank you for working with us while we try and provide you with a resolution.  I have tried different resolves surrounding possible scenarios for WGA based on the feedback and error codes received. The problem which you are experiencing may not be within the scope of WGA. 

Your last post provided good information 0x80080299.  In turn this was why I previously provided you with steps for the Crypto error. Error code 0x80004005 coupled with messaging DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed. In reality, this problem is with Windows Updates rather than Windows or Office Genuine Advantage.  Briefly I researched the error code you received and would like to provide you with some information. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932628/en-us

Please follow the Help and Support links on the Windows Updates page to find assistance in solving your Windows Updates difficulties.

Or, visit the WU Solution Center here:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Or, have a look at the WU support forum:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

Another alternative should you not find resolve please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029. Hopefully the above information will resolve your problem. Should it not then hopefully I have provided you with enough information to get a resolution. Take care and should you have future WGA problems please visit me again here :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 05, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Noel,

This is an issue with your XML services on the computer.  If you compare your Diagnostic Report

to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below the "Office Details"

line. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key.

Fix (Part 1):

(Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’

will be generated)
       If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in

that case:

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at: 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang

=en

Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk prior making any

changes in the registry. You should be okay because the files are being registried and no changes but

still a good idea to ensure any critical data is saved. Please let us know if the above steps resolved

your issues. Have a great weekend.  

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 05, 2007 11:51 PM
  • I have found the same issues where reinstalling SP7 for MSXML 3 does not work.

I managed to resolve it by applying MSXML 4.0 with SP3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=7f6c0cb4-7a5e-4790-a7cf-9e139e6819c0

So if you are not dependant on MSXML 3 upgrade to MSXML 4

Regards

Lukas

Monday, October 11, 2010 2:22 PM