none
Registering a .NET2.0 COM object with regasm.exe

Question

• Hi
    This is my first post here, so I hope I have chosen the right category. I need some help with regasm.exe

Our system uses a COM object (written in C# and .NET 2.0). We have a script that calls regasm.exe to register the COM object at the client's sites. This is being deployed for at least a year or two now in several countries with no issues reported regarding the registration of the COM object.

We call: regasm.exe <path_to_dll> /tlb:"<path_to_tbl>" /codebase /nologo /silent

Today one of our technicians tried to help a customer in Pakistan, where the registration failed. He says they use Windows 2003 R2 (Enterprise edition) + .NET 2.0.
    regasm.exe  returned the following error message:
    RegAsm : error RA0000 : Type library exporter encountered an error while processing <our class name.method name>. Error: Ambiguous name. 

I inferred from the "Ambiguous name" that a previous install could have caused the issue, and I advised the technician to run the uninstall switch on regasm, then to delete the tlb file if it still exists, and then to reboot the server before trying to register it again. He reported the same error. We cannot simulate the issue at our test bench.

I then sent him the GUID numbers we use for the COM object, and asked him to check if duplicates exist. He reported back that he found duplicates, removed those keys from the registry, rebooted, and got the same error from regasm.

I assume the registry was not properly cleaned, and I am hoping someone here can advise me on further steps to clean out before retrying to register. I Googled the error, searched on MSDN, but I get no further pointers on the cause.

Thanks for any assistance.
    • Moved by Figo Fei Friday, June 13, 2008 2:49 AM off topic for .net setup
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:56 PM

Answers