none
Status: 0xc00000e9 - An unexpected i/o error has occurred booting from WHS Client Restore CD-ROM

Question

• Hi Everyone:

I am attempting to restore my C:drive - starting with booting from the WHS Client Restore CD-ROM.

This is the message I am getting (I have rebooted many times):

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected
    to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing.

Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: An unexpected i/o error has occurred

This error appears after "Windows is Loading Files" straight after booting from the CD.

I do not have any external devices connected.
    Also I am getting this same error from 2 PCs with identical hardware, so I do not believe I have any "faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing"

As instructed in the WHS Help file, I have copied the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder to a USB Flash Memory key and have that key inserted during boot.

I am desperate to find a solution to this problem.

Regards,
    Leigh
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:29 AM

Answers

• A few suggestions:

1. Try booting without the USB thumb drive inserted. Connect it after boot only when you need it to load drivers (when you get to the devices list you may need to scan for additional drivers).
    2. Create a new restore CD (download the a fresh copy of latest version), try and burn at lower than maximum speed, use another device for burning if you can
    3. If there's nothing on the harddisk you really need please format the disk (full format), could well be it's messed up by Acronis
    4. Disconnect all devices you don't really need (video card if you have MB with onboard video, sound cards, internally connected USB devices (card reader)
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Everyone:

I am attempting to restore my C:drive - starting with booting from the WHS Client Restore CD-ROM.

to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing.

Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

This error appears after "Windows is Loading Files" straight after booting from the CD.

Also I am getting this same error from 2 PCs with identical hardware, so I do not believe I have any "faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing"

As instructed in the WHS Help file, I have copied the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder to a USB Flash Memory key and have that key inserted during boot.

Regards,
    Leigh

I/O errors are usually related to hard drive issues (either the drives themselves or the cabling).  What prompted you to try to restore your computer in the first place?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Hi Everyone:

to your computer.

Regards,
    Leigh

I/O errors are usually related to hard drive issues (either the drives themselves or the cabling).  What prompted you to try to restore your computer in the first place?
    Hi kariya21,

As I said above, I am getting this same error from 2 PCs with identical hardware, also these 2 PCs have been in constant use in recent days - so I find it hard to believe I have any problem with the hard drives or cableing.

What prompted me to try to restore your computer in the first place? - it's a long story - installing a video editor corrupted all video outputs from my other video editing software.  So I did a restore of C: using a very recent Acronis True Image backup - but that wouldn't let me log in to Windows.  So that's why I called on my WHS backup.

Cheers,
    Leigh
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:55 AM
  • A few suggestions:

1. Try booting without the USB thumb drive inserted. Connect it after boot only when you need it to load drivers (when you get to the devices list you may need to scan for additional drivers).
    2. Create a new restore CD (download the a fresh copy of latest version), try and burn at lower than maximum speed, use another device for burning if you can
    3. If there's nothing on the harddisk you really need please format the disk (full format), could well be it's messed up by Acronis
    4. Disconnect all devices you don't really need (video card if you have MB with onboard video, sound cards, internally connected USB devices (card reader)
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:32 AM
  • A few suggestions:

Hi kariya21,

Thanks for the tips.

The problem was a corrupt CD - I burned a new one at 4x speed from my original .iso and everything worked!

Cheers,
    Leigh
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:34 AM
  • A few suggestions:

Hi kariya21,

Thanks for the tips.

The problem was a corrupt CD - I burned a new one at 4x speed from my original .iso and everything worked!

Cheers,
    Leigh

Sorry, I thanked kariya21 - I meant to thank Brubber - thanks, Brubber!
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:44 AM
  • Sorry, I thanked kariya21 - I meant to thank Brubber - thanks, Brubber!

No problem, the important thing is that your issue is fixed.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 5:06 AM
  • I am so sorry to bump. but I have looked all over the internet, asked my friends. Still have no clue how to fix this.

Just a few hours ago my screen was frozen right after I tried to install this microsoft MPEG4 codec, so the only option I had was to do a hard reset. When my computer turned back on, I got this message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be cause by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external usb drive while the device is in use or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer .

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: An unexpected I/0 error has occurred.

__

I didn't have any usb device or removable media in.

I can only access my Set up Utility at start up, which has this menu: Main-Advanced-Display-Security- Boot - Exit

I don't have a recovery disk, or the installation disk ( Vista was pre installed, and never came with a disk or a recovery manager built inside, it had a recovery disk maker, but I never did it.)

I have a Toshiba-L305D-S5892
    Vista 32

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    Monday, June 14, 2010 10:45 AM
  • I am so sorry to bump. but I have looked all over the internet, asked my friends. Still have no clue how to fix this.

Just a few hours ago my screen was frozen right after I tried to install this microsoft MPEG4 codec, so the only option I had was to do a hard reset. When my computer turned back on, I got this message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be cause by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external usb drive while the device is in use or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer .

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: An unexpected I/0 error has occurred.

__

I didn't have any usb device or removable media in.

I can only access my Set up Utility at start up, which has this menu: Main-Advanced-Display-Security- Boot - Exit

I don't have a recovery disk, or the installation disk ( Vista was pre installed, and never came with a disk or a recovery manager built inside, it had a recovery disk maker, but I never did it.)

I have a Toshiba-L305D-S5892
    Vista 32

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    This forum is for WHS.  Apparently your question is regarding Vista.  You should post your question in the Vista forum.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:35 AM
  • I dont have any usb device or removable media in.

I have a lot of very important work on it and worry i will lose it all...!!!

Monday, July 05, 2010 1:11 PM
  • I am getting the same error as this but with only one computer. The problems started 2 weeks ago when the computer kept hanging after coming out of "sleep" mode. The only fix for that was a hard restart. Then it would only restart in the diagnostics mode. I ran system restore and it was fine for a day. Then it hung again and wouldn't restart until after 3 attempts when it finally went into diagnostics again. This time system restore didn't help so I had to reload all of my back-up files. That got the computer to boot correctly but back to original factory defaults. After setting up my wireless router and printer everything seemed fine. I turned away to say something to my wife and when I looked back the computer had totally "black screen" crashed. I've since gotten error messages saying no boot drive is found and now only the same exact above message after the "Windows is loading files" time-out bar is finished. Nothing is plugged into this computer during these problems and no new software has been installed. This looks to me like hard disk failure and especially since that seems to be a known issue with Dell Inspiron laptops. I am one step away from calling Dell about this but I will wait for any suggestions from you. I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Friday, July 19, 2013 3:19 PM