none
What is difference between MCTS and MCPD

Question

• By going through MCTS path a windows application development certification is received and in the MCPD path windows developer certification is received.In the other categories(web and distributed) in the MCTS section web application development certification and in MCPD web developer certification.In distribution section the naming is the same pattern.
    What i want to know is

1 what is main difference between MCTS and MCPD
    2 what is the difference between windows application developement and windows application developer certifications and also the differences in web and distributed section's certifications of MCTS and MCPD

Varuna

Sunday, June 29, 2008 12:32 AM

Answers

• VarunaSeneviratna said:

By going through MCTS path a windows application development certification is received and in the MCPD path windows developer certification is received.In the other categories(web and distributed) in the MCTS section web application development certification and in MCPD web developer certification.In distribution section the naming is the same pattern.
    What i want to know is

2 what is the difference between windows application developement and windows application developer certifications and also the differences in web and distributed section's certifications of MCTS and MCPD

Varuna

The MCTS certifications are limited-scope exams which focus on a specific technology or a specific aspect of that technology.  They are essentially intended to test ONLY your knowledge in the technical use of a Microsoft application/server/language/platform.

The MCPD and MCITP credentials are super-credentials which use a path of multiple exams to certify your capability in a job role.  For example, the MCPD itself is intended to allow you to certify in one of several developer capacities.  A company looking at you as an employee or a potential employee wants to know that you can develop enterprise applications. 

They will want to look for a single credential taht says you meet all of the specific skills that someone in that position might need on Microsoft technology.  So rather than look for a COLLECTION of different MCTS credentials, each of which providing one of those components, they may be looking for one of the MCPD tracks.

So an MCPD or MCITP credential will almost always include several MCTS exams plus an additional "professional" or "PRO" level exam which looks at the knowledge of design and architecture to test on application of the technology skills you may already have gained through multiple MCTS exams.
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 3:42 AM

All replies

• MCTS in .NET 2.0 VS2005 development is passing exam 70-536 and one exam 70-526 makes MCTS Winform, one exam 70-528 MCTS Web and one exam 70-529 MCTS Distributed

Exam 70-547  Web MCPD

Exam 70-548 Winform MCPD

Exams70-549 Enterprise MCPD and Winform MCTS, Web MCTS and Distributed MCTS.

Check the first link for details and I have tried to explain MCTS VS2008 and MCPD VS2008 in the thread below.  I came up with more exams for Asp.net and Winform MCPD path people who later want Enterprise MCPD but if all you want is Enterprise then there is only one exam difference.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/default.mspx

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/0309997e-49f2-4425-9172-a58dc41fff19

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:24 AM
  • VarunaSeneviratna said:

By going through MCTS path a windows application development certification is received and in the MCPD path windows developer certification is received.In the other categories(web and distributed) in the MCTS section web application development certification and in MCPD web developer certification.In distribution section the naming is the same pattern.
    What i want to know is

Varuna

The MCTS certifications are limited-scope exams which focus on a specific technology or a specific aspect of that technology.  They are essentially intended to test ONLY your knowledge in the technical use of a Microsoft application/server/language/platform.

The MCPD and MCITP credentials are super-credentials which use a path of multiple exams to certify your capability in a job role.  For example, the MCPD itself is intended to allow you to certify in one of several developer capacities.  A company looking at you as an employee or a potential employee wants to know that you can develop enterprise applications. 

They will want to look for a single credential taht says you meet all of the specific skills that someone in that position might need on Microsoft technology.  So rather than look for a COLLECTION of different MCTS credentials, each of which providing one of those components, they may be looking for one of the MCPD tracks.

So an MCPD or MCITP credential will almost always include several MCTS exams plus an additional "professional" or "PRO" level exam which looks at the knowledge of design and architecture to test on application of the technology skills you may already have gained through multiple MCTS exams.
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Just going through several of the threads to help me understand better the various meanings of the certifications and also to decide which certification path to follow, and whilst I've yet to completely decide, I would like to thank Wayne in his reply listed above as this has been one of the most clear, and concise explanations (without being needlessly wordy) which has definitely helped my poor simple brain to understand.

For someone who is new to (like myself), or been away from the IT profession for some time, I would recommend reading this, and dare I say it, believe that it should be placed in a more prominent part of this forum (or elsewhere). 
    Saturday, July 05, 2008 11:01 PM
  • Thanks Wayne, I'm with Davidus, you illuminated a topic that is unbelievably murky, and I appreciate that.
    Monday, July 07, 2008 4:37 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

Again, thanks for clearing that up for us! Being as you seem to be very knowledgable on the subject, I have another question in relation to this which would be very helpful to know! Being as the MCPD qualification is in a sense a certification that combines your knowledge of MCTS qualifications but more focussed on how these knowledges are applied to a certain role, does that mean you have to first pass a number of MCTS exams before you are allowed to take an MCPD exam? (or could you theoretically take an MCPD exam as your first exam if you already have enough knowledge of the technologies covered in the MCTS materials, but hadn't actually been examined on them?) If you could, this would save an awful lot of people (including myself) an awful lot of wasted years, and would mean that they could get qualified for the job at hand first time! Do you see what I mean?

Anyways, if you know the answer to this, then please bestow some more of your worldly wisdom on the rest of us and put us out of our misery!!

Many thanks in advance,

Jim.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Hi Wayne,
    Thanks for this great piece of knowledge. In addition to this i have a query (same as "Belial9") below mentioned:
    As you mentioned "MCPD or MCITP credential will almost always include several MCTS exams plus an additional "professional" or "PRO" level exam 
    which looks at the knowledge of design and architecture to test on application of the technology skills you may already have gained through multiple MCTS exams." By this do mean you have to first pass a number of MCTS exams before you are allowed to take an MCPD exam?  
    Thanks in advance,
    Sonica
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Hi Wayne,

Again, thanks for clearing that up for us! Being as you seem to be very knowledgable on the subject, I have another question in relation to this which would be very helpful to know! Being as the MCPD qualification is in a sense a certification that combines your knowledge of MCTS qualifications but more focussed on how these knowledges are applied to a certain role, does that mean you have to first pass a number of MCTS exams before you are allowed to take an MCPD exam? (or could you theoretically take an MCPD exam as your first exam if you already have enough knowledge of the technologies covered in the MCTS materials, but hadn't actually been examined on them?) If you could, this would save an awful lot of people (including myself) an awful lot of wasted years, and would mean that they could get qualified for the job at hand first time! Do you see what I mean?

Anyways, if you know the answer to this, then please bestow some more of your worldly wisdom on the rest of us and put us out of our misery!!

Many thanks in advance,

Jim.

Being as being as an illiterate person, who taught you to write English?
    Friday, June 14, 2013 2:11 AM